End of half coaching

So according to your logic, and others on this thread trying to come up with a reason, we still screwed up. We got to the line to hurry up, but STILL called the timeout and didn’t get the play off
The mistake, at least per Heupel's method, is that we didn't use the tempo correctly, not that we didn't call a timeout. No one should be arguing that there was no mistake made. People are just arguing with you about the mistake being not calling a timeout.

You know I think the OP might have a point that our clock management isn’t fantastic at times. That said I think Heupel live or die is going to stick with his philosophy of pressuring the defense. Sometimes we can get off three maybe four plays with proper clock management but the staff would rather lose one play to have multiple plays where the defense might not necessarily be prepared. Just my impression from listening to Heupel.

Well, you know, might be the Heup doesn't know what a clock is, or can't tell time. Could be he only knows how to win games. Or thought he could somehow hurry morning along on account he likes having reefer flavored waffles, Jack flavored ham, and reefer infused milk for breakfast.

If someone was to ask Heupel what he wishes would have happened at the end of the half, I’d put any sum of money the answer would be he wishes we’d lined up and gotten the dang play off without needing to burn a time out, not that he wishes we’d quit running our offense and given SC time to sub. Last year we were 100-something in scoring offense and this year (so far) we’re 7th in the nation. That’s bound to take a hit or two given who all we still have yet to play but I’m considering giving him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he knows what he’s doing. In other words maybe it’s possible that the time out meant he saw a failure in execution, and that the failure wasn’t in not calling the time out in the first place? Food for thought anyway.

I’m just talking football strategy. Make good decisions, even when winning the game. No one has made a good argument for the decision, which was very bad, and a few clear minded people on here Can actually see it was bad in spite of positive result
As I mentioned, I watched a LOT of CJH UCF games over the offseason since he got hired. His clock management hurry-up philosophy resulted in scores several times.

You are assuming that you're right and blindly discounting alternate perspectives as "incorrect" based on the fact that you've assumed you're right.

Again, you're not here to discuss. You're here to have people tell you how right you are, and grace the rest of us with updates on your emotional state--i.e. your progressive tantrum.

As I mentioned, I watched a LOT of CJH UCF games over the offseason since he got hired. His clock management hurry-up philosophy resulted in scores several times.

You are assuming that you're right and blindly discounting alternate perspectives as "incorrect" based on the fact that you've assumed you're right.

Again, you're not here to discuss. You're here to have people tell you how right you are, and grace the rest of us with updates on your emotional state--i.e. your progressive tantrum.
Well, I do look at decisions like this as zero sum. I don’t base my judgement on the outcome. And yeah, I admit in my post how I felt about it. I am willing to listen to anyone, but so far the “hurry up to the line, waste ten seconds, and then call time out” isn’t quite convincing me

You know I think the OP might have a point that our clock management isn’t fantastic at times. That said I think Heupel live or die is going to stick with his philosophy of pressuring the defense. Sometimes we can get off three maybe four plays with proper clock management but the staff would rather lose one play to have multiple plays where the defense might not necessarily be prepared. Just my impression from listening to Heupel.
In years one of the offense, it's possible that execution may have been an issue (per the time it took to get the play off). If that's the case, what better to do than get in-game practice at doing just that while up big in a blow-out?

"You know, this thing we need to get better at... not going to do it now in a game when it doesn't matter..."

Reactions: Danl and VFL-82-JP
This is just stupid. If you think an SEC team can turn a game into scrimmage at half time, you dont know football.

Not having the focus 100% on maximizing points, in the first half is just insane. That is not the way football should be coached

you realize that to get "more reps" you would call timeout and get 2-3 more plays in the half, right?

Post 13 makes no sense, given the end of half scenario. it's just you trying to make sense of a piss poor decision
Lol you really thought it mattered and it wasn’t a scrimmage after 35-7? sC was never coming back the game was over. They knew it. We knew it

Well, I do look at decisions like this as zero sum. I don’t base my judgement on the outcome. And yeah, I admit in my post how I felt about it. I am willing to listen to anyone, but so far the “hurry up to the line, waste ten seconds, and then call time out” isn’t quite convincing me

The hurry up to the line was failed execution at the end of the half. We had 35 seconds left at the 20 yard line. If we are running efficiently, and we were the first half, that's probably 2-3 shots at the end zone. But it got to 21 seconds and we still weren't lined up properly and had to call a timeout. The tempo was the right call, the offense just didn't do what they needed.

My guess is they were going at their fastest offensive pace and thought they had the SC defense on their hills. A timeout would have allowed SC to regroup and substitute players which CJH didn’t want. So in his judgment it was worth losing some clock to not slow things down. Again, just my guess
Yep.
It's ***** common sense...

I hate to break it to you again, but we really don't care about you, and our role here isn't to convince you of anything.

We explained things to you. You've escalated your tantrum, and now we'll just invest energy in showing that it's pretty much just a tantrum now. I'm not sure anyone here feels the need to convince you of anything on page three of this "discussion".

We get it. You're close minded, pissed off, and if we don't watch ourselves, you'll only get more pissed.

Lol you really thought it mattered and it wasn’t a scrimmage after 35-7? sC was never coming back the game was over. They knew it. We knew it
Yep it matters. When you make bad decisions when it doesn’t matter, you will make bad decisions when it does matter. So I hope it matters to Heupel.

Yep.
It's ***** common sense...
It’s common sense to hurry to run a play while wasting ten seconds before using the time out, but not actually run the play? Guess that’s Tennessee common sense there

The hurry up to the line was failed execution at the end of the half. We had 35 seconds left at the 20 yard line. If we are running efficiently, and we were the first half, that's probably 2-3 shots at the end zone. But it got to 21 seconds and we still weren't lined up properly and had to call a timeout. The tempo was the right call, the offense just didn't do what they needed.
Well, you explained it better since you actually admit to the failed execution. But when you have three timeouts, you wouldn’t see any NFL team, hurry up or not, try to hurry to the line to get a play when they have three timeouts at the cost of two to three other plays. It’s bad decision making

I hate to break it to you again, but we really don't care about you, and our role here isn't to convince you of anything.

We explained things to you. You've escalated your tantrum, and now we'll just invest energy in showing that it's pretty much just a tantrum now. I'm not sure anyone here feels the need to convince you of anything on page three of this "discussion".

We get it. You're close minded, pissed off, and if we don't watch ourselves, you'll only get more pissed.
The only closed minded tantrum is from those who can’t even admit an end of the half blunder that didn’t affect the outcome of the game. It’s ok to talk about it and admit it

I think this is by design. He’s teaching it and isn’t diverting from his course. The team will get better and better at it.

I think this is by design. He’s teaching it and isn’t diverting from his course. The team will get better and better at it.
That's 100% what it is.

We hear about the great culture Heupel is establishing.

How do you do that? Believe in your own system at all times. Trust your team to execute the system at all times. And when they don't, you get back to work on it to fix it.

Yep it matters. When you make bad decisions when it doesn’t matter, you will make bad decisions when it does matter. So I hope it matters to Heupel.

What bad decisions did he make against South Carolina that cost him the game?

Last time I checked we won by a comfortable margin.

And before you say it, yes we know SC isn’t Ole Miss, Bama, Georgia, and UK. However, your argument about Heupel’s coaching doesn’t make to seem much sense considering it’s already been known that he called off the dogs early to keep from more injuries happening.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Well, you explained it better since you actually admit to the failed execution. But when you have three timeouts, you wouldn’t see any NFL team, hurry up or not, try to hurry to the line to get a play when they have three timeouts at the cost of two to three other plays. It’s bad decision making

College footballs is not NFL. I don't see any pro team running the offense that we are. So that's not a comparison. I don't see many college teams running the offense that we are. That's the advantage.

How many times have we seen the WR get tackled and run the ball to the middle of the field so the ref could place and we get lined up. We just came off a commercial break timeout with 41 seconds to go. So the plan of what they were doing was already discussed. Hyatt gets the catch, but didn't get as far as we wanted. He is too demonstrative about his frustration instead of getting the ball to the ref to set. That ran time off the clock. Again, the bad decision making was on the players not the play calling.

What bad decisions did he make against South Carolina that cost him the game?

Last time I checked we won by a comfortable margin.

And before you say it, yes we know SC isn’t Ole Miss, Bama, Georgia, and UK. However, your argument about Heupel’s coaching doesn’t make to seem much sense considering it’s already been known that he called off the dogs early to keep from more injuries happening.
no one said it “cost him the game”
And no one calls off the dogs in the first half of an SEC football game.

Yep....I mean we all saw what happened in 2nd half when they went away from hurry up
We have some injuries in key positions. Trying to get some reps for 2nd - 3rd teamers in UT's case kinda slowed UT's roll in the 2nd half and CJH seemed to want to use clock. Co. Mayes needs to be playing vs. Ole Miss

VN Store

Back