Elliott on not taking UT job.

Why do you call it UGa's best season in 4 decades?

I assume you refer to the 2017 season: 13-2 (.867), 7-1 in conference, SEC Champs, won the Rose Bowl in round 1 of the CFP, lost round 2.

But just a decade and a half earlier, in 2002, under Richt, UGa went 13-1 (.928), 7-1 in conference, SEC Champs, won the Sugar Bowl.

Sure, the 2002 team didn't get to the CFP...but that's only because the CFP didn't exist then. If it had, they'd probably have been in it, with a chance to go 14-1 and a national title. That is potential the '17 squad can't claim, because they were tested and lost.

Objectively, the '02 team had a better win % (.928 compared to .867). In all other comparable ways, they were equal: 7-1 in conference, conference champs, and won a major bowl (Sugar vs Rose). Sure, the '17 team ended the season #2 while '02 ended #3, but the '02 team could have ended the year #1 if the CFP had existed back then. So they actually had more potential.

All in all, I'd call the '02 squad the better result. But, it's your team, and folks don't like hearing that the guy they fired might be as good as or better than the guy they hired. So you do you, dawg.

Still, Richt 2.0 might be right.

Bingo. And like I said, Jawja should be THE premier team in the SEC. They have a large, football mad population (considerably bigger than Bammer) with no major in-state rival. I don’t wanna hear that Saban bullsheez - no excuses for the Pups. Kirby is Richt 2.0. End of story. If he doesn’t like my smack, then he can go get a natty.

I hate to say it, but I find myself not respecting that perspective very much.

It seems as if Elliott doesn't trust himself and his own skills enough to succeed under trying conditions. That he only believes he can do well if things are handed to him on a platter, relatively speaking.

By comparison, Josh Heupel seems supremely confident. He certainly seems significantly more self-assured than Tony Elliott, at this point in time.
Sounded like he saw a disparity between the idea of what realistic success and expected success would be. I can't say that I disagree.

It doesn’t matter if fans think it’s a fair or unfair assessment; the perception around college football is this: Tennessee is the place where coaching careers die.
The program will be fine when competent administrators hire competent coaches. Dooley, Jones and Pruitt should have never been hired. I think we got a good young HC in JH and let’s see what he can do. Thankfully the cancers using UT as a piggy bank are gone and we got the administrative and coaching who want and know how to win.

Reactions: Orange.
Saban can be beat. Just ask Freeze and Dabo. The reason Smart will never beat him is because he’s a Nicky clone. Saban never loses to his sons.
Sure, he can be, but losing to the Goat doesn’t make someone bad is my point. Smart has had a successful first 5 years by just about any metric.

Why do you call it UGa's best season in 4 decades?

I assume you refer to the 2017 season: 13-2 (.867), 7-1 in conference, SEC Champs, won the Rose Bowl in round 1 of the CFP, lost round 2.

But just a decade and a half earlier, in 2002, under Richt, UGa went 13-1 (.928), 7-1 in conference, SEC Champs, won the Sugar Bowl.

Sure, the 2002 team didn't get to the CFP...but that's only because the CFP didn't exist then. If it had, they'd probably have been in it, with a chance to go 14-1 and a national title. That is potential the '17 squad can't claim, because they were tested and lost.

Objectively, the '02 team had a better win % (.928 compared to .867). In all other comparable ways, they were equal: 7-1 in conference, conference champs, and won a major bowl (Sugar vs Rose). Sure, the '17 team ended the season #2 while '02 ended #3, but the '02 team could have ended the year #1 if the CFP had existed back then. So they actually had more potential.

All in all, I'd call the '02 squad the better result. But, it's your team, and folks don't like hearing that the guy they fired might be as good as or better than the guy they hired. So you do you, dawg.

Still, Richt 2.0 might be right.
2017 is easily UGA’s best season in 4 decades, they went to a natty. That second loss came in the natty. Acting like 2017 had 2 regular season losses is being disingenuous, especially when that 2017 team had more top 10 wins and top 25 wins.
2002 ranked wins- #11, 14, 21
2017 ranked wins- #3, 10, 11, 17

The 02 team didn’t have more potential. The 2017 team played for a natty and the 02 didn’t. One had the potential to win a natty, the other didn’t have the potential to make it there.

Last edited:
2017 is easily UGA’s best season in 4 decades, they went to a natty. That second loss came in the natty. Acting like 2017 had 2 regular season losses is being disingenuous, especially when that 2017 team had more top 10 wins and top 25 wins.
2002 ranked wins- #11, 14, 21
2017 ranked wins- #3, 10, 11, 17

The 02 team didn’t have more potential. The 2017 team played for a natty and the 02 didn’t. One had the potential to win a natty, the other didn’t have the potential to make it there.

I'll give you your 2017 uga NC playing team, because even though I despise Bama like any good Tennessee fan must, with Bama it comes with a dose of respect for the program and the rivalry. My disgust with uga carries no respect whatsoever. So, that said, the Bama TD pass which won the game and broke uga's heart is one of the most beautiful things to happen in college football in the last 10 years. The fact that Bama won, which sucks, was more than overcome with the absolutely soul-crushing way uga lost. Still makes me smile to think about.

Reactions: Wireless1
Am I the only one less pissed by what he said and more pissed by the fact we even considered a sitting coordinator with zero experience over others who had head coaching experience and success at it?

Reactions: norrislakevol
Made losers into winners at every stop. Hoople made UCF worse. Facts.
12-25 at Ole Miss, 6-21 in SEC (if you dont want to count the cheating, then his record was trash as well he was 11-13 his first three years, and then had one decent season because of serious cheating, where he lost to Memphis by 3 TDs, and then finished 19-21 in the SEC overall....he's trash..went from 10-3 to 5-7, i would say that is making someone worse)

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Well yeah... duh... everyone one wants a "win now" opportunity... the easy road... highly compensated less stress opportunity... less work ....Brilliant bit of logic from the authors of the article. (eye roll).

generally though ... a "win now" place usually already has a "win now" coach or coaches.

It was my understanding that’s what the administration was selling the fanbase...we are going after a sitting head coach. When reports started to emerge that it may be another coordinator, the fanbase became understandably deflated. Another round of big promises with no follow through. I don’t think fans had anything against Eliot’s coaching acumen. It was his lack of head coaching experience.
Agreed.

Nah, he’s not looking for a job that’s over his head. He’s smart. He will land at a smaller school in a smaller conference if he wants to get out of Clemson in the next 3 years or wait till South Carolina or Clemson opens.

Nah, he’s not looking for a job that’s over his head. He’s smart. He will land at a smaller school in a smaller conference if he wants to get out of Clemson in the next 3 years or wait till South Carolina or Clemson opens.
SC was open...he wasn’t interested enough to even talk with them.

Reactions: Orange.
Have a different take on what Elliott was talking about when he was trying to explain not taking the job.

4 parts of his universe; Administration (University President and staff), Athletic Director and staff, Boosters, and Coach. Think he is saying that all 4 need to be on the same page and working together to be successful. UT Administration gets information that NCAA violations are happening in football and information is credible. Administration needs to fire AD & Staff, and Football Coach and some staff. Administration hires new AD who is having to hire new staff and hire a new football coach. There is no way for a new coach to know how these groups are going to work together because they are all new. Also add in probable NCAA sanctions that are unknown. Hope they all can work together in a positive way and get the AD group and football on the upswing.

Even when all 4 are working well, a football coach might need to be fired. Obviously not winning enough, but maybe can't recruit well enough, can't coach, drinks too much. When the university needs to hire a new coach they have all the pieces in place and working together so the new coach has all the tools to be successful.

Agree with Elliott that no one knows how these 4 groups will work together. Heuple has a history with White and is showing faith that White can get things going in the right direction. Money is not going to get an established head coach to take this job. If they are successful they are already making good money and if they are successful there is a good chance where they are currently coaching all areas are working together in a good way. AND NO NCAA VIOLATIONS!!!

Last edited:
So he wanted the opportunity to "win now". IOW, wanted to walk into a loaded roster on a winning program.

How many of those opportunities come available? Successful head coaches with a loaded roster on a winning program tend to stay put unless they jump to the NFL. It would seem that he's waiting for one of the top head coaches in the nation to die in order to open up a vacancy at such a program. Unfortunately for him, I don't think he'd be at the top of the list of candidates for those jobs.

So those few posters, who thought we didn't offer Tee, bc he is black stand where on this? Seems to me they owe the University and AD an apology.

Seems he was pretty self aware of his weaknesses.

He feels he needs everything perfect in order for him to succeed and doesn't have the cajones for a rebuild.

More power to him.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back