Elizabethon Cyclones

TennFan

I'm a 1966 grad from here. Cyclones two big games are the opener with Science Hill which they beat for the 1st time last year in 9 years and Greeneville. They also have a game with Region 2 William Blount. Hoping they Cyclone finish no worse than 8-2 in regular season. Beating Science Hill and Greeneville would be huge! First game is tomorrow night in Johnson City-GO CYCLONES!

I'm a 1966 grad from here. Cyclones two big games are the opener with Science Hill which they beat for the 1st time last year in 9 years and Greeneville. They also have a game with Region 2 William Blount. Hoping they Cyclone finish no worse than 8-2 in regular season. Beating Science Hill and Greeneville would be huge! First game is tomorrow night in Johnson City-GO CYCLONES!

'78 grad from Bristol, Tennessee High. My strongest associations with Elizabethton are of course Mr. Witten, but also the '72 team that came the closest of anyone that year to beating THS - 21-15, saved by a late interception in the end zone. By far the best team we played. It was really a shame we were in same conference - THS won the state championship game running away, 39-6 that year - Elizabethton was a mile better than anyone we played in the playoffs.

Reactions: TennFan
'78 grad from Bristol, Tennessee High. My strongest associations with Elizabethton are of course Mr. Witten, but also the '72 team that came the closest of anyone that year to beating THS - 21-15, saved by a late interception in the end zone. By far the best team we played. It was really a shame we were in same conference - THS won the state championship game running away, 39-6 that year - Elizabethton was a mile better than anyone we played in the playoffs.

'92 Viking grad here - wasn't that '72 team voted the National Champion as well? I remember seeing the trophy. I believe the '71 team finished 2nd in the national rankings, tied with Alexandria, VA - the real team from 'Remember the Titans'... many of those Viking players went on to be Vols.

'92 Viking grad here - wasn't that '72 team voted the National Champion as well? I remember seeing the trophy. I believe the '71 team finished 2nd in the national rankings, tied with Alexandria, VA - the real team from 'Remember the Titans'... many of those Viking players went on to be Vols.

That is correct on '72 team. I don't remember the ranking for '71.

Bavid Bibee was the QB and he signed with Tennessee. Great athlete, but he didn't take the reigns. A slightly younger guy from that time was Greg Jones, TE and LB for THS, started at MLB for the Vols and was a favorite of mine. Guy was a beast along side Andy Spiva in '76 and '77. Twice had 25 total tackles in a game (Bama and Vandy) and had something like 17 or 19 individuals in those games.

George Heath was the fullback and played at Virginia Tech (along with David Lamie who was the QB a couple years later). There were many other great players on the team, but i don't remember if they had college careers. That was quite a time for a junior high football enthusiast to be in Bristol.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
86 boone grad here- we never did anything
class of 99.

They snuck into the playoffs my senior year. First round was against Morristown West, then we played Cocke County. We somehow got away with a poster that read "We had to through the Trojans to get to the Cocks"

I bet that you remember or know my old friend Johnny Mills.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I remember when THS was awarded National Champion in football! Beating Science Hill and DB was a feat! They were probably the best two programs in the Big 7.

I bet that you remember or know my old friend Johnny Mills.
Sure do! Johnny was a Senior when I was a freshman. Spurrier was a Senior at SHHS. David, Johnny's brother, was in some of my classes. Johnny was a good basketball player too!

Cyclones won 28-20 in Johnson City. Hopefully be undefeated when we play Greeneville on 18 Oct. Haven't heard much about William Blount (scheduled for 4 Oct-a Region 2 team. Next game for EHS is 6 Sept away at Sullivan East.

Sure do! Johnny was a Senior when I was a freshman. Spurrier was a Senior at SHHS. David, Johnny's brother, was in some of my classes. Johnny was a good basketball player too!
I saw Mills every week for a few years when I was a wholesale customer of his greenhouse business. He ran a weekly route during the first few months of every year. Do you know if the greenhouses are still open, or has he retired? I think his wife's name is Carla. She worked there, too.

I remember seeing Spurrier at playing at Science Hill when I was in either the 8th or 9th grade, and also Billy Justis at Fulton.

So how are you feeling now?

Thanks to BS flag on an extra point, Elizabethton beats Sullivan South 14-13.

I expected a better game against Sullivan South! Believe the Cyclones over looked them after beating Greeneville! Cyclones should beat Sullivan Central by 3 TD's. First round playoff is 2 weeks later against Anderson County and hopefully Cyclones will be ready as it will be a tough game!

ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. (WJHL) - The undefeated Elizabethton Cyclones beat the Nolensville Knights 34-12 Friday night to earn a trip to the Blue Cross Bowl to play for the class 4A state championship.

Elizabethton will face either Springfield (10-3) or Haywood (12-1) for the title.

Am thrilled Betsy High is in State finals-only unbeaten team left! Go Cyclones, bring home your 2nd state title! Only other football title was 1941 from what I've heard!

Elizabethton plays Springfield for the Div. 4a championship! The Cyclones offense and defense has been great in the playoffs! If Cyclones can put up 4 TD's they can win! I think they hold Springfield to 21 at most! Greeneville is the only team that has scored that many points all season. Hilltoppers got 20 and Union County got 19. Most in the playoffs was 13 and that was Greeneville!
Give the Cyclones 24 points and they'll be hard to beat!
Prediction: Elizabethton 31-17!

Last edited:
An awesome year for the Elizabethton Cyclones as they go undefeated at 15-0 and beat Springfield for the 4a state championship 30-6! The defense was awesome in the playoffs not allowing more than 13 points! There were two big games on the schedule: Science Hill (Johnson City) and Greeneville. The Cyclones took care of both beating the Hilltoppers 28-20 and the Greene Devils 24-21. There was one other close game which should not have been and that was a 14-13 win over Sullivan South which we beat in the playoffs 49-7. The Cyclones beat Greeneville in the playoffs in round 3, 24-13.
Great season!

Reactions: StarRaider
An awesome year for the Elizabethton Cyclones as they go undefeated at 15-0 and beat Springfield for the 4a state championship 30-6! The defense was awesome in the playoffs not allowing more than 13 points! There were two big games on the schedule: Science Hill (Johnson City) and Greeneville. The Cyclones took care of both beating the Hilltoppers 28-20 and the Greene Devils 24-21. There was one other close game which should not have been and that was a 14-13 win over Sullivan South which we beat in the playoffs 49-7. The Cyclones beat Greeneville in the playoffs in round 3, 24-13.
Great season!
Congratulations from a Greene Devil Class of 1967. I was rooting for you.

VN Store

Back