Elijah Simmons preparing to be a VOL

Excepting injury situation, I think they try to redshirt him. Maybe let him mix it up for the allowable four games. Ride with Gooden and Savion Williams at nose. Key word TRY.

Reactions: feathersax
Kid is solidly built and has some athleticism. You expect strength but it's great to see him doing cardio. I haven't seen him in action but he appears to be an ideal nose tackle in CJP's scheme. Hopefully we can get some good fortune and he arrives healthy. I feel good about his long term potential. Conditioning is a big part of the battle.

Hopefully he's bench pressing VW's on each end of the barbell too!

He already has the "war face" that will instill the fear of God in OLinemen, and the mass. Add in strength, speed & endurance and he will be a double team nightmare!

Reactions: feathersax
Love the kid. But it is all about conditioning for him. Pushing against those high school kids is one thing. Pushing against SEC competition is quite another. Let's face it, it's really going to take a lot of discipline on his behalf

Reactions: savannahfan
Excepting injury situation, I think they try to redshirt him. Maybe let him mix it up for the allowable four games. Ride with Gooden and Savion Williams at nose. Key word TRY.

I don’t see it, I think he contributes. He’s freaky athletic for his size, his film is nuts. If he keeps working on his conditioning I think he can see some time this fall. Lord knows we are thin on the Defensive front.

I've been high on this youngster for awhile. If he gets to The Hill and they say he needs a redshirt I'm not going to be disappointed. However I do hope they can at least be strategic in those four games he plays in. My four would be Florida, Georgia, Bama, and South Cackalack. Throw him in early against his biggest challengers would be my hope. I think he will surprise a lot of people.

I don’t see it, I think he contributes. He’s freaky athletic for his size, his film is nuts. If he keeps working on his conditioning I think he can see some time this fall. Lord knows we are thin on the Defensive front.
Kingston Harris would be the third guy at nose. He can play four games and still redshirt. Would rather he be a potential mainstay the four following seasons. But coaches make that call.

Kingston Harris would be the third guy at nose. He can play four games and still redshirt. Would rather he be a potential mainstay the four following seasons. But coaches make that call.

Fair enough, the redshirt rule definitely is a plus. As Remy said, throw him in against our Florida, Georgia and Bama. If nothing else it’s another warm (and big) body.

Fair enough, the redshirt rule definitely is a plus. As Remy said, throw him in against our Florida, Georgia and Bama. If nothing else it’s another warm (and big) body.
A strategy for that 4 game redshirt mulligan hasn’t been perfected for non-deep teams. Do you let them experience quality minutes against cupcakes early in the season or hold them back in case they’re needed for the home stretch. Shrout was a JG sack from being a backup to Chryst if it’s believed he beat out McBride last Fall camp.

The thing that really stood out to me is how angry and violent his film is. Its easy to see why he caught CJP's attention

When JJ Watt puts you on notice at the draft you hit the weights to make it happen!! Keep that work ethic young man!

Reactions: BlackCreekVol
It will be great news if this guy is able to give us a couple quality series per game next season. Quality depth on the D-line is my biggest fear for this team. Gooden looked the part last year at NT, but I don't think we have another NT on the roster that has taken a single snap.

Saw the man play on TV a time or two last season. No doubt he is "bad". But here again, it was against lessor high school players (most of the time). He was able to just run over most of them one on one. When more than one was used it slowed him down. Which brings me to this thought: his size and ability were dominate in high school, what he will need at the SEC level is what I see he lacks because he has never need the skills, that being top notch technique. How fast can he he learn? This is the question as it applies to how soon the can be a force.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Saw the man play on TV a time or two last season. No doubt he is "bad". But here again, it was against lessor high school players (most of the time). He was able to just run over most of them one on one. When more than one was used it slowed him down. Which brings me to this thought: his size and ability were dominate in high school, what he will need at the SEC level is what I see he lacks because he has never need the skills, that being top notch technique. How fast can he he learn? This is the question as it applies to how soon the can be a force.

The kid will have to do a lot of straining...i think that is the term Pruitt uses..straining. I do see the kid being able to plug the hole in the middle of the line though if he doesn't get pushed around which would make it good for the lb to get to the play

Reactions: savannahfan
My son played in one game against this guy. After the game my son said he was unbelievably strong. I thought after watching him play that he was very good at reading the play and covering his gaps. He also played some at guard on offense. This might be a reach, but if he can snap, I could see him getting a shot a center.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo

VN Store

Back