Elden Ring (PS4/PS5, Xbox One/Xbox Series S/X, PC) Coming February 25th, 2022

HEYYYYY.... we back in business boys and girls. Just hooked up the xboxx in the new house.

yeah, looks great, but admittedly just another elder scrolls copy, but looks like it mashed in some dark souls for good measure. I'll probs be in. looks very immersive.

HEYYYYY.... we back in business boys and girls. Just hooked up the xboxx in the new house.

yeah, looks great, but admittedly just another elder scrolls copy, but looks like it mashed in some dark souls for good measure. I'll probs be in. looks very immersive.

This will be a lot more DS than it will be Elder Scrolls

Yeah this really isn't like ES at all besides being open world. It's basically open world Dark Souls with (finally) a jump button.

Since this is From, I just know they are going to punish us, at some point, for all the complaints about no jumping. There will be an encounter where every time you jump you get decapitated.

Since this is From, I just know they are going to punish us, at some point, for all the complaints about no jumping. There will be an encounter where every time you jump you get decapitated.
Haha! Maybe not that severe but how about when you jump, your health meter goes down a little.

Nooooo. Crawling around in dungeons and caves fighting off living dead is nothing like es.

This will probs be my next endevour.

The hype is real on this one guys. If you are into open world RPG's at all, this one is a no-brainer!

ELDEN RING early review scores

Eurogamer 'Essential'
Game Informer 10
PCGamesN 10
Fextralife 10
The Guardian 5/5
Kinda Funny 5/5
VG247 5/5
Easy Allies 9.5
Press Start 9.5
RPG Site 9
IGN 10
Destructoid 10
TheSixthAxis 10
Gaming Nexus 10
GamesRadar+ 5/5
VGC 5/5
WindowsCentral 5/5
Screenrant 5/5
Wccftech 10
Areajugones 10
Hardcore Gamer 5/5
Well Played 10/10
Shacknews 9
Videogamer 9
GameCentral 9
Inverse 9

The hype is real on this one guys. If you are into open world RPG's at all, this one is a no-brainer!

Eurogamer 'Essential'
Game Informer 10
PCGamesN 10
Fextralife 10
The Guardian 5/5
Kinda Funny 5/5
VG247 5/5
Easy Allies 9.5
Press Start 9.5
RPG Site 9
IGN 10
Destructoid 10
TheSixthAxis 10
Gaming Nexus 10
GamesRadar+ 5/5
VGC 5/5
WindowsCentral 5/5
Screenrant 5/5
Wccftech 10
Areajugones 10
Hardcore Gamer 5/5
Well Played 10/10
Shacknews 9
Videogamer 9
GameCentral 9
Inverse 9

I’m ready

Eurogamer 'Essential'
Game Informer 10
PCGamesN 10
Fextralife 10
The Guardian 5/5
Kinda Funny 5/5
VG247 5/5
Easy Allies 9.5
Press Start 9.5
RPG Site 9
IGN 10
Destructoid 10
TheSixthAxis 10
Gaming Nexus 10
GamesRadar+ 5/5
VGC 5/5
WindowsCentral 5/5
Screenrant 5/5
Wccftech 10
Areajugones 10
Hardcore Gamer 5/5
Well Played 10/10
Shacknews 9
Videogamer 9
GameCentral 9
Inverse 9
You left out Metacritic, which gave a 97/100. Which is one of their highest game ratings ever.

Anyone who wants to play now. Set your system to be in a time zone that's the 25th. You'll be able to download it.

You left out Metacritic, which gave a 97/100. Which is one of their highest game ratings ever.

Anyone who wants to play now. Set your system to be in a time zone that's the 25th. You'll be able to download it.

I thought the Metacritic score was an average based on the cumulation of all the major media outlet scores.

I thought the Metacritic score was an average based on the cumulation of all the major media outlet scores.
Kinda. They have valued critics they use and assign a score to their reviews. They're still making the numbers. Getting a 95+ on there is a very good sign though.

As a souls veteran I like the game however, as expected it’s insanely hard, which is fine. But, after you grind out to beat a boss, the rewards are laughable makes you feel like it was for nothing

As a souls veteran I like the game however, as expected it’s insanely hard, which is fine. But, after you grind out to beat a boss, the rewards are laughable makes you feel like it was for nothing
Yeah I'm starting to question the ridiculously high scores the media are giving this game, as I read more and more impressions from actual gamers. I'm seeing a lot of similar reactions as yours. Not to mention bugs and poor optimization across the board, especially on PC. Digital Foundry was actually recommending buying the last gen version for current gen consoles because it at least runs at a constant 60fps.

Yeah I'm starting to question the ridiculously high scores the media are giving this game, as I read more and more impressions from actual gamers. I'm seeing a lot of similar reactions as yours. Not to mention bugs and poor optimization across the board, especially on PC. Digital Foundry was actually recommending buying the last gen version for current gen consoles because it at least runs at a constant 60fps.
I have a RTX 3090 and a i9 9900K in my pc and still get frame dips

The game does have technical issues but from a design and gameplay perspective it’s deserving of 10/10 IMO. It sets a new and very, very high bar for open world fantasy games. The map isn’t just massive. It’s extremely detailed and intricate. I also like how the in-game economy and progression system are stingy. You don’t just get handed everything you need, and getting noticeably stronger takes time.

The game does have technical issues but from a design and gameplay perspective it’s deserving of 10/10 IMO. It sets a new and very, very high bar for open world fantasy games. The map isn’t just massive. It’s extremely detailed and intricate. I also like how the in-game economy and progression system are stingy. You don’t just get handed everything you need, and getting noticeably stronger takes time.

I'm glad you're liking it. I will get to it eventually but I want to play Horizon FW first. I have a feeling that Elden Ring is going to demand one hell of a commitment to play and get the most out of it so I'm trying to clear my backlog first. I'm thinking it will make a great summer game to dive into since there's little else coming out in those months.

Reactions: Aesius
About an hour in and I think it’s fantastic. A couple of small gripes though:

1) I don’t like that if you back stab an enemy and knock them down, your attacks do zero damage as they are getting up. You can’t do damage to them until they are squared up and ready to fight again. That’s not typical of Souls games.

2) Not being able to compare weapons/armor at shops to your current equipment is something that has always driven me crazy. That doesn’t add difficulty, it just adds annoyance.

I'm glad you're liking it. I will get to it eventually but I want to play Horizon FW first. I have a feeling that Elden Ring is going to demand one hell of a commitment to play and get the most out of it so I'm trying to clear my backlog first. I'm thinking it will make a great summer game to dive into since there's little else coming out in those months.

Yes, it's a monster of a game. It's really everything I've ever wanted in an RPG. The difficulty means it won't be for everyone so it won't have the widespread appeal of Skyrim or possibly even Witcher 3, but it absolutely kicks the crap out of their world design (and I love Witcher 3's world). It somehow struck a perfect balance of creating a map that's chock full of interesting locales, hidden secrets, and gorgeous vistas, while also not feeling like you can't move without entering a new location or seeing something the developers wanted you to see.

I also have no idea how big the map actually is because it's not flat. It has a lot verticality and switchbacks and you can't just ride your horse from point A to point B easily in every location. There are a lot of mountains to traverse and it really feels like you are scaling something instead of just riding up an inclined path. It may very well be much smaller in size than a map like AC Odyssey's but it feels incredibly huge because of the variety in environments and how you need to traverse to get to them (although fast travel is plentiful and super helpful after you unlock new "bonfires").

Last gushing point: the game genuinely gets more difficult the further away from the starting area you stray, which I love in RPGs. But it's also not like Witcher 3 or Assassin's Creed where you can't even hope to kill those enemies/bosses. You can still fight and beat them if you are skilled enough, which is going to make for some incredible speedruns in the future.

VN Store

Back