EG's cuts.

I have high hopes for our run game next year. But having a QB the other teams have to respect would take us further in the run game.

Reactions: cgrish
The play action will be great for whomever is the QB. Hopefully, we also get some contribution as a change of pace from one of the Fr 'big backs' that are coming in. Really looking forward to next season.

Reactions: Robby21
I dont know about the rest of volnation but just watching Mr. Gray make his cuts in traffic... The guy almost sits downs in his ankles to make 90 degree plus cuts... You could see it all year he was just one step away. I guess it was the rain or the fact that it was candy? Maybe the game slowed down just enough and he explodes for a school record. Folks with the addition of Cade Mays, Trey coming back, and the rest of those big uglies. I foresee a school rushing record being broken! I'll sit back and listen to comments. This is my first thread but a long time lurker.
He's got quickness , cutting ability and VISION that I'm afraid our other backs just simply don't have at this point .

Reactions: FlipVol87
Why do you feel the need to question someone???
Obviously he/she watchs football other wise the comment wouldnt make sense. As it is a well thought out post
Flip replied to me twice, and the second was all caps. I'm not sure what aspect of my post elicited such a response, but it made me chuckle. That amusing response also supports my initial assertion. Many fans overlook Gray's struggles before Vandy. It's not just that he didn't get carries. He simply didn't do anything with the carries he did get. His best game prior to Vandy was BYU. He had 17 carries for 77 yards. Meanwhile, Chandler had 26 carries for 154 yards vs BYU. His performance against Vandy was incredible, and, as I said, his bowl performance suggests that Vandy wasn't a complete anomaly. However, Chandler has led the team in rushing each of the last two seasons. I put more stock in that. Maybe Gray becomes an All-American, or maybe he disappears like Timmy Smith after Super Bowl 22.

Far too many fans overlook the fact that Gray was averaging under four yards per carry prior to the Vandy game. His bowl performance suggests that the Vandy game wasn't a complete aberration, but I'm still not convinced that he surpasses Chandler on the depth chart. I don't foresee any individual rushing records being broken given this staff's tendency to rotate backs. However, if the line plays to its potential - assuming Mays wins his appeal - then both Chandler and Gray may gain between 800 and 900 yards with maybe another 300 to 400 from Jordan. Chandler finished this season with 655, and Gray had 539. I don't think it's unreasonable to add a couple hundred to that, but it's probably just wishful thinking.

If we have one back who is performing much better than the others I would hope we don't contine using so many backs.

Combination of a lot of things. The opponents were slow and he is exceptionally quick. To be consistently effective though he has to develop physically and run with power. He is much too easy to tackle.
One of the few people on here that knows football.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Flip replied to me twice, and the second was all caps. I'm not sure what aspect of my post elicited such a response, but it made me chuckle. That amusing response also supports my initial assertion. Many fans overlook Gray's struggles before Vandy. It's not just that he didn't get carries. He simply didn't do anything with the carries he did get. His best game prior to Vandy was BYU. He had 17 carries for 77 yards. Meanwhile, Chandler had 26 carries for 154 yards vs BYU. His performance against Vandy was incredible, and, as I said, his bowl performance suggests that Vandy wasn't a complete anomaly. However, Chandler has led the team in rushing each of the last two seasons. I put more stock in that. Maybe Gray becomes an All-American, or maybe he disappears like Timmy Smith after Super Bowl 22.[/QUOT Smh

I dont know about the rest of volnation but just watching Mr. Gray make his cuts in traffic... The guy almost sits downs in his ankles to make 90 degree plus cuts... You could see it all year he was just one step away. I guess it was the rain or the fact that it was candy? Maybe the game slowed down just enough and he explodes for a school record. Folks with the addition of Cade Mays, Trey coming back, and the rest of those big uglies. I foresee a school rushing record being broken! I'll sit back and listen to comments. This is my first thread but a long time lurker.
Reminds me of the former Vol!

EG has that excellent "dead leg" move that leaves people like that IU safety in the dust. Similar to elite ones like P.Warrick, C.Patterson, S. Michel and others.

His ability to cut “on a dime” is a natural God-given ability. He’s Barry Sanders-esque in that regard. He’s gotta get much stronger though and finish his runs. Most of the time this year when he got he didn’t/couldn’t fall forward. I think he can be a very good, respectable running back at Tennessee, just don’t see him being an all-time great here. We need to up our running back recruitment considers it to when we used to go get guys like Webb, Cobb, Lewis, Garner, Graham, Henry, Stephens, etc.....

His ability to cut “on a dime” is a natural God-given ability. He’s Barry Sanders-esque in that regard. He’s gotta get much stronger though and finish his runs. Most of the time this year when he got he didn’t/couldn’t fall forward. I think he can be a very good, respectable running back at Tennessee, just don’t see him being an all-time great here. We need to up our running back recruitment considers it to when we used to go get guys like Webb, Cobb, Lewis, Garner, Graham, Henry, Stephens, etc.....
It's not like the old days buddy... We have one in the making...

Yes we do KB. But our guys have been occupied w the trenches it appears. They doing work too. WR and RB in drives to come I hope.

He gonna have to play a lot. We almost watched Hurd do it. He’s already behind pace
Hurd got yards strictly on volume of carries. His average per carry was awful, well below acceptable for an SEC running back.

Because of Tennessee’s history of usually if not always having 2 quality running backs on the roster, our rushing record isn’t very high (3,078), which is why Hurd was able to climb up the ladder quickly. All-time NCAA career rushing record is more than twice that. Record is north of 7,100 yards. Look at Wisconsin’s Jonathan Taylor for example....he has 6,174 rushing yards in only 3 years.

Anywho, things will have to break just right for Gray to wind up our all-time leading rusher. Likely gonna have to stay here healthy for 4 years and not be challenged by stud running back causing him to lose a lot of touches.

Reactions: RockyTopTexas
It's not like the old days buddy... We have one in the making...
I think Gray is talented and can be a good, solid running back. But he’s small and he’s more suited as a change of pace back who needs to split carries. He’s certainly not in the class of the other former Tennessee backs I mentioned earlier.

Far too many fans overlook the fact that Gray was averaging under four yards per carry prior to the Vandy game. His bowl performance suggests that the Vandy game wasn't a complete aberration, but I'm still not convinced that he surpasses Chandler on the depth chart. I don't foresee any individual rushing records being broken given this staff's tendency to rotate backs. However, if the line plays to its potential - assuming Mays wins his appeal - then both Chandler and Gray may gain between 800 and 900 yards with maybe another 300 to 400 from Jordan. Chandler finished this season with 655, and Gray had 539. I don't think it's unreasonable to add a couple hundred to that, but it's probably just wishful thinking.
Spot on

Flip replied to me twice, and the second was all caps. I'm not sure what aspect of my post elicited such a response, but it made me chuckle. That amusing response also supports my initial assertion. Many fans overlook Gray's struggles before Vandy. It's not just that he didn't get carries. He simply didn't do anything with the carries he did get. His best game prior to Vandy was BYU. He had 17 carries for 77 yards. Meanwhile, Chandler had 26 carries for 154 yards vs BYU. His performance against Vandy was incredible, and, as I said, his bowl performance suggests that Vandy wasn't a complete anomaly. However, Chandler has led the team in rushing each of the last two seasons. I put more stock in that. Maybe Gray becomes an All-American, or maybe he disappears like Timmy Smith after Super Bowl 22.
Lol, I thought you made some great points myself. Although I see some potential with him, I completely agree with most everything you said. My opinion on him was he tries to do too much with the ball but maybe he is getting better about that with time.

Flip obviously has some ties to him which is understandable I guess.

The post you responded to was reasoned and factual imho. Perhaps it’s you who doesn’t watch much football or know what you’re watching when you do.
Must be an alt Id for someone. Becuz he is hyping Gray like some hype JG

VN Store

Back