Edey/ Shaquille

I remember Dale Brown going off on officials when Shaq got mugged playing college. Now, I know Dale sometimes exaggerated how bad Shaq was being fouled, but if officials back in Shaq’s day called the same game as Edey gets, Shaq would be the all time foul shooter in NCAA history and it wouldn’t be close.
Shooter, not maker!

Shaq got mugged because he was going to dunk it if you didn't. Edey did not get mugged. His big dumbass was doing the mugging. We certainly fouled himself some, but that was a terribly called game. One time in the first half he trampled our kid while he was clumsily going for a rebound and they called the fouls on us. Remarkable. We had a chance at a run but faced the wrong ****ing team at the wrong time. That pisses me off more than anything.

There isn't even a comparison between Edey and Shaq other than they're both enormous. Shack was an intimidator with his presence, and was incredibly athletic for his size, with a variety of spin moves to get to the rim for dunks. Edey is more of a finesse player who uses his size for position against smaller, lighter college players, and gets calls if he's touched, while Shaq was literally mugged every time down the floor.

Shaq also played during the tail end of the 'center era', while the game has drastically changed now, making Edey's game pretty much obsolete in the NBA. I see him as a career backup center - he'll make a nice living, but his days as a star end as of next week.

His walks got me as much as anything. He lifts his pivot foot as part of his move and takes 3 steps all the time. He is literally playing outside of virtually every rule of basketball.
He'll have 2 or 3 more in the NBA. May become the GOAT. 🙄

I remember Dale Brown going off on officials when Shaq got mugged playing college. Now, I know Dale sometimes exaggerated how bad Shaq was being fouled, but if officials back in Shaq’s day called the same game as Edey gets, Shaq would be the all time foul shooter in NCAA history and it wouldn’t be close.
All time shooter, but not all time free throw scorer.

Who was that other big Dale Brown had with Shaq?
Ole Dale should have won it all with that group.

Shaq and Stanley Roberts were maybe the 3rd set of SEC bigs labeled as the “Twin Towers”.

Kentucky had Rick Robey and Mike Phillips. Then a couple of years later they had Sam Bowie and Melvin Turpin.

Reactions: Zues1
Right now Wed 8:00 ET on SECn is 1990 LSU vs Loyola Marymount.
Hank Gathers, Bo Kimball O'neil, Roberts, Jackson etc

Last edited:
Most people would agree with this assessment of Eden, but Danny Hurley has made some strong statements to the effect that he should be a lottery pick.

6’10” and 6’11” weren’t that tall? The King and Grunfeld teams in 1974-75 and 1975-76 sure could have used that. Ashworth was the center and was 6’6”.
I meant they weren't as tall as Bowie and Turpin. Robey and Phillips were never referred to as "twin towers"

VN Store

Back