Ed O gets $42 million extension

Hmmm... he just lost his starting QB and the majority of the brain trust of his staff. Guess we'll see how this works out for them.

Reactions: USMC-TNVOL
Hmmm... he just lost his starting QB and the majority of the brain trust of his staff. Guess we'll see how this works out for them.
Look at it from Coach O's perspective though. He took that job with a ton of doubters, a ton of people asking questions like "Do you really think he can beat Nick Saban?" In a year where he does just that and wins a national championship, do you really think LSU can legitimately say "OK Coach O, so you won a title...but you'll have to do it again before we pay you." Of course he was going to get paid.

...and he still makes less than Jimbo, Kirby, and Gus, none of which have won titles as head coaches at their current schools. Kirby and Gus haven't won titles as HCs, period.

Look at it from Coach O's perspective though. He took that job with a ton of doubters, a ton of people asking questions like "Do you really think he can beat Nick Saban?" In a year where he does just that and wins a national championship, do you really think LSU can legitimately say "OK Coach O, so you won a title...but you'll have to do it again before we pay you." Of course he was going to get paid.

...and he still makes less than Jimbo, Kirby, and Gus, none of which have won titles as head coaches at their current schools. Kirby and Gus haven't won titles as HCs, period.
Good points. He has also made LSU even more appealing to recruits with the title they just won as well. I don’t see them having the same type of success this upcoming season, but they should be in the running for another title in a couple of years.

Interesting stat... the Cookie Monster since taking over for Lamo at USC and taking over for Les at LSU is 13-3 against top 10... the only losses has been Alabama who was ranked #1 in 2016, #2 in 2017, and #1 in 2018 at the time they played. He beat Stanford who was #5 when he was at USC.

He is 10-1 against Top 10 in the last two years. For comparisons, Lil Nicky is only 4-2 over the last 2 years against top 10. Since the Cookie Monster took over for Les he is 12-3 against top 10, Lil Nicky is 10-3. Of course, LSU did lose other games and more games than Alabama during that stretch.

And they will paying his buyout in 3 years he is like Gene Chizik a one hit wonder

Well, if you mean one hit wonder as in, 15-0 and like they won this year, not sure anyone is going to repeat that. Not sure it could be viewed as one hit wonder, I personally thought his best years were 2016 and 2017 with basically playing with a half deck on the defensive and offensive lines - people don't give enough credit based on the situation. He was doing some serious work to get those guys competitive... I actually am not sure LSU would have made bowl games those years if they hadn't cut Les off after the Auburn loss.

And they will paying his buyout in 3 years he is like Gene Chizik a one hit wonder

You forgot the NCAA sanctions which are sure to be coming in addition to the buyout.

LSU will go back to being 9-3 or 10-2 yearly which will not be good enough to please the big boosters after the taste of last season.

USC gotta be kicking itself..lame duck coach now and terrible recruiting this year...I wonder if he would have made them a top 10 program again?

Reactions: Remy and BUBear
You forgot the NCAA sanctions which are sure to be coming in addition to the buyout.

LSU will go back to being 9-3 or 10-2 yearly which will not be good enough to please the big boosters after the taste of last season.

If LSU is not competing for championships that won't last, that doesn't mean win every year or anything but the record is meaningless. What they have said for some time is, if you ain't competing for championships... you're on borrowed time.... Les was in hindsight probably given too much time.... not that they didn't win a championship, but they weren't even working at it.... eventually a losing season was coming under Les, probably in 2016 or 2017.

Reactions: VolnJC
A bump like this is usually only done when a coach is being courted by some other Power 5 program. That doesn't appear to have been the case here. LSU is just rewarding Orgeron for a championship season. It's an interesting move. Orgeron has always been a great recruiter. His coaching chops will get more of a test next season, defending a championship with a new starting QB, and without Joe Brady and Dave Arranda. We will see. That is quite a long term commitment that LSU has just made.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

I think Coach O is content knowing that he has a good formula going by having the funds available to hire elite coordinators and him really being the CEO.

Kelly will be shopping at TJ Max
The LSU fans love him, I think he has to trash 3 seasons before the seat gets warm

I think Coach O is content knowing that he has a good formula going by having the funds available to hire elite coordinators and him really being the CEO.
It's a great formula, but it doesn't work as well when you are changing coordinators on a regular basis. That is the reality of becoming a championship winning program. How many different coordinators has Saban had? It's crazy. A head coach can only serve as a figure head for so long. I'm not familiar enough with Orgeron's history at Ole Miss, USC or LSU to know how accurate of a description that is of him. However, those coaches are always exposed eventually for what they are, if they are just nothing more than "figure heads" or "CEO's". Gene Chizik is a good example.

VN Store

Back