Dunks should only count one point

I saw the title and thought there was gonna be a joke or something. Nope, just stupidity.

Too easy for those with the ability to make them. Or raise the goal another 2-3 ft. That would level the playing field a little and give all shooters more credit.
"In the most recent test, early in November, Coach Ray Mears of Tennessee co-operated with SPORTS ILLUSTRATED by playing his Orange-White preseason intrasquad game with 12-foot baskets. Raising them was simple. University maintenance men built a two-foot pipe extension and installed it at the base of the stand. The job took about three hours and cost less than $50.

Mears divided his squad into two teams, splitting up his first stringers with 7' Tom Boerwinkle on the Orange team and 6'10" sophomore Bobby Croft on the White. The players practiced on the higher baskets for only about 40 minutes the afternoon of the game and again in the pregame warmup. In the contest, played before 5,100 curious people in Tennessee's Stokely Athletics Center, the Oranges missed their first eight shots, the Whites their first nine, and the overall shooting was poor—20% for the Oranges, 25.7% for the Whites, who won 43-36. Poor shooting was not surprising because none of the players had had enough time to become familiar with the new dimensions, but all agreed that they could achieve former accuracy with practice."

There is much more. I remember it well.

Too easy for those with the ability to make them. Or raise the goal another 2-3 ft. That would level the playing field a little and give all shooters more credit.
Tell me you're short without telling me you're short.

I mean your height, but other answers are probably also correct.

And since the three second rule isn't enforced anyway, make a rule to force all offensive players to stand in the paint for 10 seconds. If they step outside of the paint before their 10 seconds are up, flagrant foul.

Also, there should be a 3' x 3' square on the court, placed at random locations, where a shot from there will be worth 4.5 points. Of course that means the scoreboards will have to be replaced, but it would make the game more interesting.

I happen to think the court should be widened by two feet, the three point line should be moved back a foot in the corners and a foot and a half out front, a play were a guy catches a pass and dunks immediately should be 3, except for an alley-oop dunk, which should be 4.

To be fair about all the stupidity, I have to admit I already don't watch basketball. I'm not really in favor of leaving anything the way it is. There's no way I can watch it any less.

When Wilt Chamberlain was a young man we were talking about this stuff.

VN Store

Back