Dune - Trailer

I'm a little confused about whether I will be able to watch this without having to add a subscription. I have HBO Max because I subscribe to HBO on Comcast/Xfinity. The HBO Max website says this movie will only be available for streaming if you pay for a commercial-free tier of programming. I have never seen a commercial on anything I've streamed through HBO Max, but I don't pay anything extra above my cable bill. Anyone know how this is gonna work?

they won't let you because of...you.
Perhaps, but doubt they have the time to screen all their customers and potential customers for whatever it is that makes me…me. I think I got my answer though. I already have the ad-free tier. So I’ll be watching it.

I noticed this movie gets released the same day as my Birthday.

From what I can see this movie most likely will succeed at having a coherent story, this movie will be an amazing movie to look at for sets, vehicles, etc even if the movie is unsuccessful at the box office.

With the Dune remake getting high praise my optimism is an 8 that the Dune remake will be successful at the box office.

Last edited:
Reactions: ENGRVOL
Just saw the movie. Thought it did a good job making the source material entertaining and easier to follow for general audiences without venturing too far away from the book though some parts dragged. Will be interesting if this does well with non-dune fans and get the green light for part 2 or will be another blade runner 2049 where it is a visually stunning movie but not a success on the screen.

Just saw the movie. Thought it did a good job making the source material entertaining and easier to follow for general audiences without venturing too far away from the book though some parts dragged. Will be interesting if this does well with non-dune fans and get the green light for part 2 or will be another blade runner 2049 where it is a visually stunning movie but not a success on the screen.

how do they handle all the inner dialogue - that's always tough for movies

how do they handle all the inner dialogue - that's always tough for movies
No inner dialogue like in the book or in the 1984 movie as I recall. The director added some dialogue at points or has characters whisper to themselves what they may be thinking in scenes that was written as inner dialogue in the book. There is an opening narration at the beginning that sets the stage for the movie.

Reactions: volinbham
Thought the movie was great. I'm a big fan of the early 80's one (nostalgia). Special effects were pretty awesome. Only con is the new Chani is not as hot as the 1984 version (Sean Young).

I went with my two high schoolers last night and we all enjoyed it. It’s was visually impressive and well written. Much better than expected. We’re definitely excited for a sequel.

Reactions: volinbham
Watched last night - was going to wait and catch in on the big screen but the Bama game required a palate cleanser.

Very good job of telling the story and the visuals were stunning. I've seen in reviews that the score is great but at times I found it a little off but no big deal. Really hope the second gets made.

A couple minor things I thought were missing or under emphasized from the book:

1) There was almost no content about the Spacing Guild or the Navigators or the way space travel is achieved other than a brief mention that spice is required. Lynch went a little overboard with this element in his film so maybe it was a way to distance from that. Gotta think Part 2 will cover this more.

2) There was at least one reference to the Landsraad (Dr. Kynes was asked to report what happened to this body) but as far as I remember it was never explained what this was. Even a minute of further explanation somewhere in the film of the relationships between the Emperor, the Great Houses (and even the Spacing Guild and Bene Gesserit) would help the viewer (non book reader) understand the power balance.

3) Maybe it was just me but I thought the sanctity of water was under emphasized. There were references (Stilgar spitting as sign of respect, telling Lady Jessica here greatest riches are her water, the gardener watering the palm trees) but it felt like more of a "you need water to survive in the desert so these suits will help you save it" rather than the real significance of every single drop of water.

4) No mention of how computers (thinking machines) are banned.

5) No explanation of the Mentats and what they do

6) Limited to no explanation why Dr. Yueh was so trusted

Not complaints - just observations.

I'll watch it again

So does the original Dune movie cover the whole book? I'm curious to watch it now, but I'd rather find out the ending from the book or Villenueve's films.

I watched it. The production was great. I still like the baron from the the original. I like the original better because of weirdness of it.

Watched last night - was going to wait and catch in on the big screen but the Bama game required a palate cleanser.

Very good job of telling the story and the visuals were stunning. I've seen in reviews that the score is great but at times I found it a little off but no big deal. Really hope the second gets made.

A couple minor things I thought were missing or under emphasized from the book:

1) There was almost no content about the Spacing Guild or the Navigators or the way space travel is achieved other than a brief mention that spice is required. Lynch went a little overboard with this element in his film so maybe it was a way to distance from that. Gotta think Part 2 will cover this more.

2) There was at least one reference to the Landsraad (Dr. Kynes was asked to report what happened to this body) but as far as I remember it was never explained what this was. Even a minute of further explanation somewhere in the film of the relationships between the Emperor, the Great Houses (and even the Spacing Guild and Bene Gesserit) would help the viewer (non book reader) understand the power balance.

3) Maybe it was just me but I thought the sanctity of water was under emphasized. There were references (Stilgar spitting as sign of respect, telling Lady Jessica here greatest riches are her water, the gardener watering the palm trees) but it felt like more of a "you need water to survive in the desert so these suits will help you save it" rather than the real significance of every single drop of water.

4) No mention of how computers (thinking machines) are banned.

5) No explanation of the Mentats and what they do

6) Limited to no explanation why Dr. Yueh was so trusted

Not complaints - just observations.

I'll watch it again

I wanted to see the mining guild guys.

So does the original Dune movie cover the whole book? I'm curious to watch it now, but I'd rather find out the ending from the book or Villenueve's films.

if you are referring to the Lynch version then yes for the most part.

I recommend reading the book - you'll have plenty of time between now and Part 2 and things will make much more sense.

Reactions: n_huffhines
I watched it. The production was great. I still like the baron from the the original. I like the original better because of weirdness of it.

nothing beats Lynch's imagination of how the Guild Navigators fold space - bizarre and a bit disturbing

VN Store

Back