Dune: Part Two

Can one of the book readers explain why sandworms don't go underground when a rider is on it? I assume that's what the hooks do, but I don't understand it.

Can one of the book readers explain why sandworms don't go underground when a rider is on it? I assume that's what the hooks do, but I don't understand it.

I don't recall that ever being discussed/explained in the books. Granted I have only read 2 of them so it might be covered.

Reactions: NEO
Correct. The plates lifted by the hooks expose sensetive areas they don't want sand so that rotates to the top and prevents them from "submerging".

I'm going from memory here but that's how I recall the process. I don't recall why the worms don't immediately start thrashing like a hooked trout though. I'm guessing you weren't supposed to think about that too much.

Correct. The plates lifted by the hooks expose sensetive areas they don't want sand so that rotates to the top and prevents them from "submerging".

I'm going from memory here but that's how I recall the process. I don't recall why the worms don't immediately start thrashing like a hooked trout though. I'm guessing you weren't supposed to think about that too much.

Good explanation and Dogs don't thresh around when a flea lands on them. It probably just feels like debris until the hooks go in.

Good explanation and Dogs don't thresh around when a flea lands on them. It probably just feels like debris until the hooks go in.
I don't think a big SW would notice a human just getting on them but if something was irritating enough (setting the hooks in) to change their behavior I'd expect a more pronounced reaction.

It's in the books/script and it works so I'm cool not letting overthinking get in the way.

I don't think a big SW would notice a human just getting on them but if something was irritating enough (setting the hooks in) to change their behavior I'd expect a more pronounced reaction.

It's in the books/script and it works so I'm cool not letting overthinking get in the way.
all of this is going off of memory so I may be off.

the riders can be tossed, its one of the reasons its a right of passage. the sand worms typically will react, and the "driver" has to constantly adjust to make sure they aren't tossed. very difficult for a first timer, it was just another Freemen way it was easy for Muad'dib.

they also talk about other passengers also falling off, so I don't think the books try to sell it as a safe ride.

what never made sense is how all the passengers ride along, you would think all of their hooks would confuse the direction the driver wants the SW to go.

it also is possible for them to ride a worm too long, and kill it. being out of the ground tires them out quicker than being under the sand.

all of this is going off of memory so I may be off.

the riders can be tossed, its one of the reasons its a right of passage. the sand worms typically will react, and the "driver" has to constantly adjust to make sure they aren't tossed. very difficult for a first timer, it was just another Freemen way it was easy for Muad'dib.

they also talk about other passengers also falling off, so I don't think the books try to sell it as a safe ride.

what never made sense is how all the passengers ride along, you would think all of their hooks would confuse the direction the driver wants the SW to go.

it also is possible for them to ride a worm too long, and kill it. being out of the ground tires them out quicker than being under the sand.
I only have the slightest memory to that degree of detail. As you say if it was that simple/safe it wouldn't be a big deal to become a worm rider which it is in the story as you cite.

I was just musing earlier that anything that caused enough irritation to "steer" them one might think a violent reaction would occur. It's hard to imagine something that immense genuinely thrashing around would be anything less than a death sentence. In any case I love the stories (still haven't actually seen 2 yet) and if it's canon they ride sand worms then that's good enough for me.

I only have the slightest memory to that degree of detail. As you say if it was that simple/safe it wouldn't be a big deal to become a worm rider which it is in the story as you cite.

I was just musing earlier that anything that caused enough irritation to "steer" them one might think a violent reaction would occur. It's hard to imagine something that immense genuinely thrashing around would be anything less than a death sentence. In any case I love the stories (still haven't actually seen 2 yet) and if it's canon they ride sand worms then that's good enough for me.
Oh yeah agreed. Not looking at it too closely. I reread the first three before I saw the first remake.

My son and I just watched Part 1. It was great, and we are looking forward to catching Part 2 this weekend.

Reactions: theFallGuy
finally got to watch this. Very good. wish I had waited for it to come out on streaming on something, worst movie viewing experience I have ever had.

1. No AC, felt like we were on site for the movie.
2. Volume was up so loud you could barely understand the conversation, a couple times my ears were ringing after various explosions or other loud moments.
3. The floor barely sloped at all, so even though we were in the back our view sucked.
4. they clearly didn't even attempt to clean up after the previous movie. there was popcorn in my seat when I showed up and the floor was still wet from a spilled drink. smell of popcorn and coke was pretty strong. and people getting up to go to the bathroom or whatever definitely made the sticky shoe sound.
5. none of the rows were marked, only reason we found our seats was because we were in the last row, easy enough to fine. but pretty much every new person/group that came into the theatre sparked a conversation about who was in who's seat.

We watched it in the home theater, and it was amazing. The story was great, the sound and visuals even better. I'll go 5*

Reactions: GroverCleveland
the sandworms are ridden by keeping their rings pulled apart with hooks by the freman riders. The sandworm will do whatever it takes to keep this agitated area above the sand, thus keeping them from going under.

Just finished watching it, it was decent, alot of it was drawn out. I always laugh when i see a 90lb girl kill a bunch of dudes. When did they introduce those voice modules in the book?

Just finished watching it, it was decent, alot of it was drawn out. I always laugh when i see a 90lb girl kill a bunch of dudes. When did they introduce those voice modules in the book?

What about 125 lb males?

What about when you see people riding 4m-ton worms?

At least you had the sense to not knock Zendaya's acting. She was really good in this. She's one of the best in the business at acting with her face. Like the part where her friend is first onto her about liking Paul. She does 3 facial expressions that tell 1,000 words in just a moment. It's such a hard thing to do. Most actors underdo it to be safe because the worst thing you can do is overdo it.

Can anybody explain how a barren desert sustains these worms? I don't get it. There has got to be an explanation, right? Titanosaur was 75 tons and that's the largest land animal earth has sustained. A blue whale is 200 tons. Apparently sand worms would be about 4m tons.

Last edited:
What about 125 lb males?

At least you had the sense to not knock Zendaya's acting. She was really good in this. She's one of the best in the business at acting with her face. Like the part where her friend is first onto her about liking Paul. She does 3 facial expressions that tell 1,000 words in just a moment. It's such a hard thing to do. Most actors underdo it to be safe because the worst thing you can do is overdo it.

Can anybody explain how a barren desert sustains these worms? I don't get it. There has got to be an explanation, right? Titanosaur was 75 tons and that's the largest land animal earth has sustained. A blue whale is 200 tons. Apparently sand worms would be about 4m tons.

Yes, 125lb males would still win.. she's a Mid actress She has resting b*tch face always

Reactions: davethevol
I get why people aren't a fan of Zendaya in the movie. Most of her appearance seemed to be a scowling face. I'm not sure it's so much her as the role and dialogue she was given. It's either her scowling at Paul for much of the movie, or her scowling at other people talking. I want to say there was more to her character in the book, but it's been a long time since I read Dune. But her American suburban girl accent seemed misplaced in this role.

The only actors I really enjoyed were Javier Bardem (Stilgar) and Stellan Skarsgard (Baron Harkonnen). It felt like Feyd-Rautha's character was rushed. He was introduced like what, halfway through the movie and is made out to be a main antagonist, but it didn't feel genuine. Although I did really like the setting on Giedi Prime. It was funny seeing Bautista have another character that just gets his a$$ kicked all movie (like he complained about with Drax in GotG). Timothee Chalamet is ok I guess. Near the end when he is in the South proclaiming himself as the Lisan Al Gaib to the masses was kinda cringy imo. Yelling angry and trying to be dominating doesn't fit him. At least not the way they did it imo. Christopher Walken as the Emperor didn't work for me. I like him. He's a great actor, but all I saw was Christopher Walken. Not an emperor. I can't remember if it was here or another place I was reading about sometimes it's better if lesser known actors are cast. If a huge name is cast it might not work because all you see is that actor. Not the character they are playing. Maybe if he had more dialogue so you can see the character's personality, but his lines were minimal.

All in all though still a great movie. Visually impressive. Probably would have been worth seeing in a theater or IMAX. 8/10.

What about 125 lb males?

depends on what source you prefer, none really seem cannon, but either sand plankton, or just spice as some sort of closed life cycle system. the last one doesn't make a ton of sense. how did that process start? wouldn't taking the spice away kill off the worms, ending the system?

the sand plankton idea makes some sort of sense, the books talk about the deserts being alive, so maybe its supposed to be the ocean but dry?

Reactions: n_huffhines
I get why people aren't a fan of Zendaya in the movie. Most of her appearance seemed to be a scowling face. I'm not sure it's so much her as the role and dialogue she was given. It's either her scowling at Paul for much of the movie, or her scowling at other people talking. I want to say there was more to her character in the book, but it's been a long time since I read Dune. But her American suburban girl accent seemed misplaced in this role.

The only actors I really enjoyed were Javier Bardem (Stilgar) and Stellan Skarsgard (Baron Harkonnen). It felt like Feyd-Rautha's character was rushed. He was introduced like what, halfway through the movie and is made out to be a main antagonist, but it didn't feel genuine. Although I did really like the setting on Giedi Prime. It was funny seeing Bautista have another character that just gets his a$$ kicked all movie (like he complained about with Drax in GotG). Timothee Chalamet is ok I guess. Near the end when he is in the South proclaiming himself as the Lisan Al Gaib to the masses was kinda cringy imo. Yelling angry and trying to be dominating doesn't fit him. At least not the way they did it imo. Christopher Walken as the Emperor didn't work for me. I like him. He's a great actor, but all I saw was Christopher Walken. Not an emperor. I can't remember if it was here or another place I was reading about sometimes it's better if lesser known actors are cast. If a huge name is cast it might not work because all you see is that actor. Not the character they are playing. Maybe if he had more dialogue so you can see the character's personality, but his lines were minimal.

All in all though still a great movie. Visually impressive. Probably would have been worth seeing in a theater or IMAX. 8/10.

She's a war-hardened rebel terrorist who is skeptical of Paul and then just as she lets her guard down, she gets dumped. Plenty of non-scowls in the storyline considering, but of course they're there, because that's the storyline.

She's a war-hardened rebel terrorist who is skeptical of Paul and then just as she lets her guard down, she gets dumped. Plenty of non-scowls in the storyline considering, but of course they're there, because that's the storyline.
I think I know what it is. The last 40 something minutes of the movie she has hardly any lines, but Denis Villeneuve cuts to her multiple times over the last part of the movie to nothing but her face. When Paul is declaring himself Lisan Al Gaib when he's in the South at the circle, it's several cuts to her disapproving face. Before during and after he fights Feyd Rautha, Villeneuve cuts to her multiple times and lets it linger on her scowling/angry/sad face. No lines. And then at the very end of the movie when she's calling a worm and it's like 10 seconds of close up Chani scowl face and the screen goes black as it ends. Just frown which is what I think people go to when they think of her performance. It's more Denis Villeneuve I think. The way it's edited. He could have cut out several of the close ups of her face every time something happened or someone said something. We know, she's angry with how things are transpiring.

I think I know what it is. The last 40 something minutes of the movie she has hardly any lines, but Denis Villeneuve cuts to her multiple times over the last part of the movie to nothing but her face. When Paul is declaring himself Lisan Al Gaib when he's in the South at the circle, it's several cuts to her disapproving face. Before during and after he fights Feyd Rautha, Villeneuve cuts to her multiple times and lets it linger on her scowling/angry/sad face. No lines. And then at the very end of the movie when she's calling a worm and it's like 10 seconds of close up Chani scowl face and the screen goes black as it ends. Just frown which is what I think people go to when they think of her performance. It's more Denis Villeneuve I think. The way it's edited. He could have cut out several of the close ups of her face every time something happened or someone said something. We know, she's angry with how things are transpiring.

Right, but imagine people complaining about Brolin scowling.

Right, but imagine people complaining about Brolin scowling.
He had a fraction of the screen time though in the movie, I think he had more lines that her in that final 40 something minutes, and the last parts of the movie he wasn't just scowling. We saw his face in the final fight with the Sarduakar. He had a one on one with Rabban. And he voiced the communications with the Great Houses before and after Paul killed Feyd Rautha. He played an active part in the final sequences. Unlike a "cut to her face to see her anger" which is all we got with Chani in that last 40 something minutes.

For those with questions about the Dune ecosystem (both true ecosystem and the one comprising all the players (navigators, CHOAM, great houses, etc.) I recommend looking at videos from "Quinn's Ideas" on Youtube.

sandworms per earlier question

Reactions: n_huffhines
This was the major deviation from the canon storyline. In the books, Chani is very supportive of Paul. They spend around 5 years in the desert together and their first child is murdered by the Harkonnens before the climax of the novel. She doesn’t do a whole lot of fighting.

In the book, Paul is mainly warring with himself over the morality of what he is doing (using a nation of people to do his bidding by becoming a false prophet) and trying to prevent himself from becoming a Bene Gesserit puppet (as they had been trying to produce a Kwisatz Haderach for generations). His relationship with his mother is far more strained than it ever is with Chani.

That being said, as a major fan of the book series who has read them all the way through more than once (including this March before Dune Part 2 was released), I thought the movie was very well done. Villeneuve did a great job of capturing the tone of the world. Much better than any previous adaption, at least. I didn’t mind him externalizing Paul’s inner struggle in the form of Chani (although I would have picked a different character).

The only problem he may have is if they decide to try and adapt Dune Messiah. The entire plot of that book revolves around Irulan scheming with different factions to try and retake the throne because Paul refuses to give her an hier/is completely loyal to Chani. Multiple times in that book, Chani even suggests than he should give Irulan the hier she wants because she can’t get pregnant yet Paul still remains adamant that he wants their children to inherit the empire. It’ll be interesting to see how he deals with that considering how he ended the movie.

This was the major deviation from the canon storyline. In the books, Chani is very supportive of Paul. They spend around 5 years in the desert together and their first child is murdered by the Harkonnens before the climax of the novel. She doesn’t do a whole lot of fighting.

In the book, Paul is mainly warring with himself over the morality of what he is doing (using a nation of people to do his bidding by becoming a false prophet) and trying to prevent himself from becoming a Bene Gesserit puppet (as they had been trying to produce a Kwisatz Haderach for generations). His relationship with his mother is far more strained than it ever is with Chani.

That being said, as a major fan of the book series who has read them all the way through more than once (including this March before Dune Part 2 was released), I thought the movie was very well done. Villeneuve did a great job of capturing the tone of the world. Much better than any previous adaption, at least. I didn’t mind him externalizing Paul’s inner struggle in the form of Chani (although I would have picked a different character).

The only problem he may have is if they decide to try and adapt Dune Messiah. The entire plot of that book revolves around Irulan scheming with different factions to try and retake the throne because Paul refuses to give her an hier/is completely loyal to Chani. Multiple times in that book, Chani even suggests than he should give Irulan the hier she wants because she can’t get pregnant yet Paul still remains adamant that he wants their children to inherit the empire. It’ll be interesting to see how he deals with that considering how he ended the movie.

Pretty sure from the start that the plan has always been to make the first two Dune books into 3 movies, and then Villeneuve is done.

VN Store

Back