Dumbest anti-SEC argument out there

PlanetVolunteer

I know you've all heard this one

"The SEC doesn't play anybody in the non-conference!" "Just a bunch of cream puffs etc. etc."

I feel like I've heard this ad nauseum

I'd just like to know what P5 teams play multiple P5's in their non-conference every year?

Who doesn't play one P5, an FCS and then one or two G'5 teams.

It's just baffling this argument still exists.

"The SEC doesn't play anybody in the non-conference!" "Just a bunch of cream puffs etc. etc."

I'd just like to know what P5 teams play multiple P5's in their non-conference every year?

It's not even true often times. Florida is playing two OOC P5's this year (Utah & FSU). Georgia played 2 last year and this year (Clem & GT) last year, (Ore & GT) this year.

SEC doesn't have to prove jack.

The SEC is 14-5 in CFP games.

9-1 in Semifinals. 5-4 in championship games.

2 of the 5 losses.....were to other SEC teams, both in championship games..

In CFP games....

Big 10 3-5
ACC 6-5
Pac 12 1-2
Big 12 0-4
Notre Dame 0-2

And for anyone who says, well.....it's all Alabama. All that is positive about the ACC is from Clemson and all that is positive from the Big 10 is from Ohio State. The SEC is the only league who has had multiple members win a playoff game....and those schools also won national championships.

Seems to me this is all about fighting a straw man.

I haven't seen anyone claim the SEC is anything other than the best conference in college football. Not in years.

Yes, I remember the old days, a decade or more ago, when arguments like this were made. No one smart makes them any more.

They just sit quietly, knowing they are inferior, and hoping for the worm some day to turn.

Bloody unlikely.

Go Vols!

I’m a big SEC guy but Sec leaves itself to criticism when they play UTC, Tenn Tech, Samford, etc. Most major conferences don’t play FCS teams

I’m a big SEC guy but Sec leaves itself to criticism when they play UTC, Tenn Tech, Samford, etc. Most major conferences don’t play FCS teams
That's BS, brother.

Of the 130 FBS teams, only 15 didn't have an FCS team on their schedule last fall.

The B10 was most FCS-averse: only half of the B10 teams played an FCS opponent (only half, you know, just half of them, like, it is just as common to play an FCS game as it is not to, in the B10). All but three of the PAC teams scheduled an FCS game. And only one team from the B12 didn't. Every team in the ACC did.

It is complete fiction that this is unique to the SEC.

That's BS, brother.

Of the 130 FBS teams, only 15 didn't have an FCS team on their schedule last fall.

The B10 was most FCS-averse: only half of the B10 teams played an FCS opponent (only half, you know, just half of them, like, it is just as common to play an FCS game as it is not to, in the B10). All but three of the PAC teams scheduled an FCS game. And only one team from the B12 didn't. Every team in the ACC did.

It is complete fiction that this is unique to the SEC.

And ALL OF THOSE CONFERENCEs play 9, not 8 conference games. I guess that’s ******** too.

I haven't seen anyone claim the SEC is anything other than the best conference in college football. Not in years.

Yes, I remember the old days, a decade or more ago, when arguments like this were made. No one smart makes them any more.

They just sit quietly, knowing they are inferior, and hoping for the worm some day to turn.

Bloody unlikely.

Go Vols!
Well, they lay in wait until anything at all happens in their favor, then they claim the worm has turned.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
its a two edged sword playing FCS teams. Yes, its a dip in you strength of schedule but conversely its a distribution of wealth. When those step brothers come play a D1 school they receive an economic boom to their athletic department that they would never be able get by themselves

Last edited:

Just follow some Big 10 people on Twitter and you'll constantly hear about how the SEC is overrated. Heard it all through bowl season last year when a few SEC teams struggled. What's rarely noted is that it's typically something like the SEC's 10th best team playing some other conferences' 1st or 2nd best team. Sure, Auburn lost to Houston, but Houston was ranked, and Auburn was one of the worst SEC bowl-eligible teams; and it was still a close game.

These same posters always seem to mysteriously disappear when the SEC dominates the playoffs. Or when Penn State and Iowa get beat by SEC teams.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

The other side to this is those teams you list depend on playing a P5 school to get the visiting team payout which usually accounts for a lot of their athletic budget for the year. This is the $ that funds the golf, tennis teams and most women's sports, Its critical for them.

Actually, I have not heard this. I'm in Tennessee, and plus I guess I just hang around better people. I don't know. My advice is live well. Pretty much that works for everything. Angst is just not me. It's just not.

What I have observed, honestly, is that Tennessee fans, my whole life, have been offended by the fact that other people are trying to play the game. They've been continually horrified. So I actually only hear this from SEC fans. That is where I hear it. And, as I've said here many times, I've heard my entire life "if you don't hate this team/coach/player you're not a true vol fan." Right now our coach is only one year in, so we're kinda in the happy times for a while.

Being non-happy is addictive. I don't know how to get cured, but the first step is admitting you're addicted.

The word overrated is overrated.

The other side to this is those teams you list depend on playing a P5 school to get the visiting team payout which usually accounts for a lot of their athletic budget for the year. This is the $ that funds the golf, tennis teams and most women's sports, Its critical for them.
ETSU was paid 415K to visit and beat Vanderbilt in Nashville. This payday helped ETSU break even in their sports budget for the year.
FCS schools sports programs are DEPENDENT on those games for the financial health of their entire sports program! I have no problem with FCS wanting big paydays! I can't for the life of me, think of why anyone who took a look at their balance sheet would have any issue either! I am going to chalk their complaints up to a lack of information or research.

It's almost always from a Big 10 fan; Big 10 has Little Brother Syndrome.
Big (fill in the latest number) schools play MAC schools regularly, which can be an easier assignment than playing some FCS schools, like North Dakota State and South Dakota State out of the Missouri Valley.

Strength of schedule is what matters and the SEC is up there every year.

If you play Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Arkansas, LSU, Tennessee, etc., do you really want (or need) to schedule Ohio State or Clemson, or even UCLA or Oklahoma as your non conference games? Nope. You'll call UAB or Jacksonville State.

Reactions: 901 Orange

Bloody unlikely.

Go Vols!

Yes, the old days when SEC fans had to wait for State Penn to get beat by Southwest Mayonnaise State to get a chance to for a championship.

Ohio State plays for a Ohio State championship every year. They play every small school in their state and sometimes they win all of them. Honestly, it would be boring to be an Ohio State fan, really only get 1 or maybe 2 good games all season.

The other argument that I think is dumber than the SEC OCC schedule is the Alabama is the SEC argument. I hear this from many Clemson fans. They cannot wrap their brain around the fact that 1. You can't just take one team out of the conference and not realize another one would take its place. Those recruits would most likely go to other SEC schools and another team would emerge. How many coaches has Satan got fired from SEC schools? 2. Clemson is the only ACC school worth mentioning. Last year we lost to the ACC champion with our backup qb.

Just follow some Big 10 people on Twitter and you'll constantly hear about how the SEC is overrated. Heard it all through bowl season last year when a few SEC teams struggled. What's rarely noted is that it's typically something like the SEC's 10th best team playing some other conferences' 1st or 2nd best team. Sure, Auburn lost to Houston, but Houston was ranked, and Auburn was one of the worst SEC bowl-eligible teams; and it was still a close game.

These same posters always seem to mysteriously disappear when the SEC dominates the playoffs. Or when Penn State and Iowa get beat by SEC teams.
My favorite argument is when the B1G brings up how the SEC is scared to go on the road to play a B1G team bc the weather is different up there during the season. They talk like they’re always playing in a blizzard or something . I bet the conference as a whole has 3 or 4 snow games a year.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer

UGA
Oregon, GT

Oklahoma, GT

Clemson, GT

UCLA, GT

UCLA, GT

FSU, Louisville, GT

FSU, GT . Texas was scheduled, but will be in the SEC.

Clemson, GT. Texas was scheduled

Clemson, Ohio State, GT

Ohio State, GT. Oklahoma was scheduled, but will be in the SEC.

Reactions: chattaboogie

VN Store

Back