Duke/UNC Official Thread 2021/2022 (K’s Last Hurrah Edition)

RDU VOL#14

I’m a Flawed Character
OKay everyone, it’s that time of year again. That time when I start a thread about Duke and Carolina playing basketball, the usual suspects have enjoyable banter from November through April and beyond, and the other usual suspects come in and criticize those of us who have been posting in this thread for years now and do their best to get a rise out of mostly Duke fans.

I apologize I’m just getting around to it, as I alluded to in another thread, life has been a bit crazy lately, but I am excited to get this going. And if you’re a Duke fan you should be excited to talk basketball this season too. Heel fans, it might be too early to tell. Although, as we are Vol fans first and foremost, we should all agree that Sunday afternoon was lovely. Great win by the Vols after a tough showing against Nova.

Obviously with Roy already retired (do your thing @Lawrence Wright ) and this being K’s final season things are a bit different. There are lots questions of where these programs are headed long term and then what we have right in front of us.

After watching 5 or 6 Duke games I can say that this team has the potential to cut down nets in K’s final season. This team is probably the biggest team I’ve seen K put on the floor. Even Keels who is kind of playing this Hybrid of a 1 or 2 is about 6’4” 220. Which means he’s bigger than anyone in our WR group. Mark Williams is a 7 footer, Banchero at 6’10” and Marquette Transfer Theo John at 6’9” 250, Duke is a big athletic team. The question is can they shoot? Wendell Moore has definitely improved his game quite a bit and extended his range, but there is not really a reliable 3 ball guy. Hey Joey Baker, you’re not that guy. You’re not that guy. If someone does step up and become a consistent outside threat I see no reason why Duke couldn’t cut down the nets in NOLA (UNC’s favorite Final 4 venue).

As for the Heels, I’ve only watched the game on Sunday and it wasn’t pretty. It really seemed like Carolina lacks an identity. That’s fine. It’s November, and Roy’s teams always took time to develop and maybe Hubert’s team will have the same kind of style, but it was hard to tell on Sunday. Bacot is obviously very talented and I think will be the focal point, the transfer Brady Manek looks to be a real offensive threat and could be an all ACC kind of player. Hopefully some you Carolina guys can tell me what you guys think about the guys you have because I just don’t really know anymore. Every year it’s getting harder and harder to keep up with who is coming in, who transferred out, etc, etc… It’s a shame because I grew up in Durham knowing exactly who was coming back and who the freshman were for Duke, UNC and even State. These days it’s almost 10-12 new faces every year without getting to watch a lot of the guys develop and see their personality come out. Maybe there will be some rule changes in the not so distant future…Maybe NIL will make some of these guys think twice about leaving and not getting drafted.. Looking at you Matthew Hurt.

Season Predictions as of Thanksgiving Week:

Duke is a potential Final Four Squad that could send K out with another Ring, but not unless they find a shooter.

UNC is looking like a first weekend group, but there’s a lot of ball to be played.

As always Go To Hell Carolina Go To Hell.

Happy Thanksgiving

Carolina is a young bunch and they’re bringing in three new guys to the rotation, plus a fairly new staff and style of play. I do expect they’ll be better later in the season, but it’s a little rough and uneven so far.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
He may or may not be well liked but seeing Vitale get choked up really hit home losing family to cancer myself.

Hopefully he gets to call a lot more games and kicks cancers ass.

F CANCER!

This has the potential to setup for a classic sports movie type season for Duke. Coach K going out on top. I'm not a Duke or UNC fan but that would be cool to see.

With that said....Banchero looks tough. UNC looks very bearable by any squad with good guard play. But it's early.

Kansas loses on a buzzer beater to a horrible Dayton team 74-73. Duke can make some early season noise in the Top 4 with a win tonight against Gonzaga.

Kansas loses on a buzzer beater to a horrible Dayton team 74-73. Duke can make some early season noise in the Top 4 with a win tonight against Gonzaga.
Gonna be a tough one. I’ll be interested to see how much Duke tries to body up Chet Holmgren.

Reactions: BUBear
Gonna be a tough one. I’ll be interested to see how much Duke tries to body up Chet Holmgren.
Kid is rail thin. Reminds me of a young Shawn Bradley but with much more talent. It will be interesting to see how he handles being bodied up.

Didn’t want to make a thread so I’ll post it here:

Coach Thig is Co DC and LB coach at UNC. Good to see him get an opportunity after leaving Tennessee

Didn’t want to make a thread so I’ll post it here:

Coach Thig is Co DC and LB coach at UNC. Good to see him get an opportunity after leaving Tennessee
I hope we play either one of these teams . We’d smoke these fools.

Definitely think Tennessee can boat race both teams.

Still think Howell is going to be a damn good pro though.
I think Howell can be a good pro too. He has to be very disappointed about how this season has gone and the beating he’s taken. Doubt he would play if we played them in the bowl game.

I think Howell can be a good pro too. He has to be very disappointed about how this season has gone and the beating he’s taken. Doubt he would play if we played them in the bowl game.

I’d hope not honestly.

He’s got better than average speed and Tennessee hasn’t shown they can adjust to it at all. I think it would be another Corral type game

I’d hope not honestly.

He’s got better than average speed and Tennessee hasn’t shown they can adjust to it at all. I think it would be another Corral type game
I think if we had 3 weeks to prepare for that QB delay we’d be ok. I don’t he’d carve us up as badly as Corral.

VN Store

Back