Duke Coach Steps Down

Ouch is right. Is this a sign the Duke AD isn't messing around and is serious about bringing in a young, dynamic coach who can recruit against Ivey, Banghart and Jeff?

BTW, it will shock no one to hear that Jeff is interested in the Duke job. That's what I'm told, though who knows. Could be people just assume Jeff is interested in every good job opening.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

Wow. With all that Gail did for Duke women’s basketball, and knowing how deep her love for the university and program still runs, for them to needlessly humiliate and hurt her AGAIN is both shocking and infuriating. There is absolutlely no reason they couldn’t have at least given her an interview and then, if they still wanted, “gone in a different direction.”

For Duke to immediately squelch any calls for Gail to be hired makes me wonder if NOT re-hiring the beloved Goestenkors was part of the deal for the current coach to step down. This is pure speculation on my part and not based on anything I’ve heard or read. That said, I always imagined that McCallie would have had to have felt a little (or a lot) of jealousy toward Gail for the way Gail was so universally loved and admired by her players and fans. From the outside looking in, McCallie simply never seemed to capture the hearts of those associated with the program in the way that came so naturally for Goestenkors.

Wow. With all that Gail did for Duke women’s basketball, and knowing how deep her love for the university and program still runs, for them to needlessly humiliate and hurt her AGAIN is both shocking and infuriating. There is absolutlely no reason they couldn’t have at least given her an interview and then, if they still wanted, “gone in a different direction.”

For Duke to immediately squelch any calls for Gail to be hired makes me wonder if NOT re-hiring the beloved Goestenkors was part of the deal for the current coach to step down. This is pure speculation on my part and not based on anything I’ve heard or read. That said, I always imagined that McCallie would have had to have felt a little (or a lot) of jealousy toward Gail for the way Gail was so universally loved and admired by her players and fans. From the outside looking in, McCallie simply never seemed to capture the hearts of those associated with the program in the way that came so naturally for Goestenkors.

It has been said that Duke's men's basketball Coach K Gail didn't get along and that played a part in her leaving. Gail wanted and thought her team given their success at the time deserved the same perks that men's basketball team had. I can imagine that she burned some bridges in the athletic department due to the circumstances on how she left due but she still should have at least gotten an interview.

BTW, it will shock no one to hear that Jeff is interested in the Duke job. That's what I'm told, though who knows. Could be people just assume Jeff is interested in every good job opening.

"You guys will pay me more to do this? Cool, sounds good to me."

Finding a good coach who's loyal is like finding a cheap used car with no miles on it. It's rare. And if you find one you better hop in and drive it for all it's worth.

"You guys will pay me more to do this? Cool, sounds good to me."

Finding a good coach who's loyal is like finding a cheap used car with no miles on it. It's rare. And if you find one you better hop in and drive it for all it's worth.
you don;t know how right you are,,,there are many passionate coaches out there, but very few who can elevate players beyond standard

VN Store

Back