Drove by Neyland for first time in 10 years last week

bpalmer28

Forgot how beautiful Knoxville is and how majestic Neyland Stadium is. I had grown complacent with the lack of success we've had, but now I'm refueled with a sense of dumbfoundedness (new word?). There's just no excuse for Tennessee to be this bad. I've tried and tried to make sense of it all but no rationale holds water. It's a shame and frankly is a disgrace to General Neyland and other great VFLs who built not only Neyland Stadium and the 90s brand of UT Football but also the City of Knoxville into what it is today.

I hope all of you who live in East Tennessee understand how greatly you are blessed to be there. Such a beautiful place.

Forgot how beautiful Knoxville is and how majestic Neyland Stadium is. I had grown complacent with the lack of success we've had, but now I'm refueled with a sense of dumbfoundedness (new word?). There's just no excuse for Tennessee to be this bad. I've tried and tried to make sense of it all but no rationale holds water. It's a shame and frankly is a disgrace to General Neyland and other great VFLs who built not only Neyland Stadium and the 90s brand of UT Football but also the City of Knoxville into what it is today.

I hope all of you who live in East Tennessee understand how greatly you are blessed to be there. Such a beautiful place.

We went cheap and hired Vince Dooley's incompetent son, some Yankee trumpet player, and some Gump that has no idea how to be a head coach. Pretty easy to make sense of it all.

We live 7 miles from Ayres Hall... still remember talking to Dr. Holt in front of Rose Hall like it was yesterday... it was many, many yesterdays ago. Ah, for the good old days.

It would be cool if a squad of wing suiters in orange gear flew over Knoxille, the campus, and then landed in Neyland - and walked over to grab some Double Dogs served up by Doug Mathews.

Did you drive down Fulmer Way? That is where the University has spent a lot of money over the past decade. That corner between Cox auditorium and Fulmer way is really nice. Next time you are in town stop, go to the Volshop at the Student Union (overpriced but great selection) and then walk out to the balcony looking down Fulmer Way down the river. It really looks very nice now compared to a decade ago.

Reactions: james_govols
5 HCs in 12 years + 4 ADs in 9 years= stale cornbread
How many UT chancellors? Presidents? The problems go all the way up to the top. The university is run by idiots. Randy Boyd is another Haslam lackey. Don’t expect positive changes anytime soon.

Reactions: davethevol
Did you drive down Fulmer Way? That is where the University has spent a lot of money over the past decade. That corner between Cox auditorium and Fulmer way is really nice. Next time you are in town stop, go to the Volshop at the Student Union (overpriced but great selection) and then walk out to the balcony looking down Fulmer Way down the river. It really looks very nice now compared to a decade ago.
The new student union is an impressive structure.
I’ll be glad when they bulldoze the communications building and put up something befitting a college campus.

I agree. Pretty much all those building from the 70's and 80's are just eyesores. I have never been a fan of brutalist architecture.

Reactions: R481967
The new student union is an impressive structure.
I’ll be glad when they bulldoze the communications building and put up something befitting a college campus.

Nice bathrooms... when they unlock the doors on gameday

5 HCs in 12 years + 4 ADs in 9 years= stale cornbread
I view that as a symptom of awfulness, not an excuse for awfulness. The reason we suck may be that we've made several bad coaching hires, but that's not an excuse to suck. That's just a good reason to hire a proven coach. Tennessee has no excuse.

Yep. We came in on the north side of town to get on 441 headed south. When we got to Cumberland, I suggested a little detour to show my 4 year old daughter where daddy's football team plays. The wife gracefully obliged. We took a right on Cumberland and drove west to Phillip Fulmer Way, where we took a left to drive south toward Neyland Stadium. We continued south until we got to Lake Loudon Blvd (I think) and wrapped back around that way using Volunteer Blvd to reconnect with Cumberland. The landscaping and facilities through there are breathtaking.

Reactions: HooahVol
I absolutely love, love, love Neyland Stadium! I was at UT in the early 90's, back before the brick structures around the stadium, just when it was all exposed, rusted steel beams. It was a beautiful fortress back then! Now it looks more classy, nicer than when I was there. I don't care about bathroom troughs, seat sizes, creature comforts- just give me a loud and boisterous (and full) stadium and I'll be happy. Nothing beats the atmosphere at Neyland.

I currently work at UVA, in the shadow of UVA's Scott Stadium which is picturesque in it's own right, but nothing compared to Neyland. From the river to the Hill to the massive upright (as opposed to the single level Michigan Stadium) structure, Neyland is the best stadium in the world.

The stadium is epic, but I rarely hear anyone call Knoxville itself beautiful. The area surrounding it is gorgeous (mountains) but the city is known as the scruffy city for a reason.

Reactions: JBVolunteer

VN Store

Back