Drinkwitz - "We stand on business"

This century (and we are 23 seasons into it), Mizzou and Tennessee are pretty comparable. If you add back Pruitt's vacated wins, we have a 173-121 to 171-121 edge on them record wise. This is the lifetime/memory of today's oldest college athletes, not to mention recruits. It's not palatable to those of us who lived through the 90's, but outside of our fanbase, particularly among younger people who didn't live through the 90's, alot of people see us the same way.
STFU with your nonsense. Let me know when they sniff top 10 in wins. Love to see your clown ambulance chasing a$$ at a tailgate

This century (and we are 23 seasons into it), Mizzou and Tennessee are pretty comparable. If you add back Pruitt's vacated wins, we have a 173-121 to 171-121 edge on them record wise. This is the lifetime/memory of today's oldest college athletes, not to mention recruits. It's not palatable to those of us who lived through the 90's, but outside of our fanbase, particularly among younger people who didn't live through the 90's, alot of people see us the same way.
That's like saying you and I can't understand the Civil War or the Boston Tea Party because those events are not part of our "lifetime/memory."

Even teenagers today can learn about and appreciate the deep, strong tradition Tennessee has in the world of college football. Those who are raised right, they certainly have.

Mizzou can't hold a candle to Tennessee. They're not qualified to carry our lads' jock straps. I know teenagers who know that. A 23 year old has no excuse.

Go Vols!

After reading the article the "We stand on business" comment makes a lot more sense. At the time it was beyond bizarre and I'm not sure why it took this long to get an accurate explanation.

I hate losing. I hate losing to lowly Mizzou (they earned it, however). But... I am a coach. And what you do with your locker room and how you treat your word as your bond is everything in coaching.

I don't like Drinkwitz. However, I don't hate what he did with the "we stand on business" comment now that I understand what the hell it was about. His team stood up for him and refused to get pushed around and he made a stand for his team in response. The fact that he knew he would look like a jackass to the media and Tennessee is hilarious though.

Irregardless I hope we crush their souls each time we meet again. And I hope Heupel returns the favor with something similar... maybe "Vols by Fiddy."

So... maybe a good direction for this thread would be... original ideas for what Heupel should say to Drinkwitz after the next Vols win over Mizzou.

And, Go!

Heupel is slowly becoming the new Steve Spurrier of the SEC.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Heupel is slowly becoming the new Steve Spurrier of the SEC.
Josh Heupel is a far, far better person than Steve Spurrier.

Both great coaches, sure, but not at all alike in personality. Thank God.

I'd prefer to think that Josh Heupel is becoming the new Robert Neyland. That would be far cooler, and more admirable.

Go Vols!

OP had me until “irregardless”

Can’t believe in 2024 people still think this is a word
I'm sorry I used a word you don't like and for offending you. I should be more careful in this day in age.

Irregardless is a word and has been for a couple of hundred years. It may be a double negative and even possibly unnecessary, but it is a word with meaning that can be used informally. Supposably 😀 this is an informal message board!

I didnt read the article, so i have no idea what excuse for being a jackass was given. However, he didnt just say those words, he basically smacked CJHs hand, made the comment and took off like the bitch he is.

Keep in mind, eli is the doofus that heckled Ziegler a couple of weeks ago at the basketball game.

Whatever spin being put out there is likely because his agent/handlers/AD told him to grow the eff up. My guess is the basketball heckling prompted a meeting or call that explained to him how Power 5 Head Coaches should conduct themselves and the result is a story "explaining" his actions.

That's like saying you and I can't understand the Civil War or the Boston Tea Party because those events are not part of our "lifetime/memory."

Even teenagers today can learn about and appreciate the deep, strong tradition Tennessee has in the world of college football. Those who are raised right, they certainly have.

Mizzou can't hold a candle to Tennessee. They're not qualified to carry our lads' jock straps. I know teenagers who know that. A 23 year old has no excuse.

Go Vols!
Clearly it would still be relevant to someone who is raised a Tennessee fan. That is not in dispute, unfortunately we need to recruit a lot of people who aren't raised Tennessee fans. Serious question here, just the academic question, at what point do you think college football history becomes irrelevant to recruits not naturally partisan by virtue of having been brought up in the fandom? Princeton claims 28 national championships, Yale claims 27, Minnesota 7 (4 of them AP national championships), Missouri themselves were 4th in wins in the 1960's. We were 4th in wins in the 1990's, other than that, our best decade since 1960 was the 1980's when we had the 20th most wins. At what point do you think past success becomes ancient history to those recruits? I'm just saying, some people are constantly scratching their heads about why a recruit would consider Missouri or South Carolina in the same breath as us, and the fact is that there is not being much separation between us and those programs in these kids lifetimes. I think that is a hell of a lot better answer than for example, thinking Heupel can't recruit. I think he's done a good job recruiting under the circumstances.

Reactions: VAVol85
As far as Heupel's recruiting goes. I think it is balanced and he gets what he needs and recruits player's that have talent but capable of raising their level.

Clearly it would still be relevant to someone who is raised a Tennessee fan. That is not in dispute, unfortunately we need to recruit a lot of people who aren't raised Tennessee fans. Serious question here, just the academic question, at what point do you think college football history becomes irrelevant to recruits not naturally partisan by virtue of having been brought up in the fandom? Princeton claims 28 national championships, Yale claims 27, Minnesota 7 (4 of them AP national championships), Missouri themselves were 4th in wins in the 1960's. We were 4th in wins in the 1990's, other than that, our best decade since 1960 was the 1980's when we had the 20th most wins. At what point do you think past success becomes ancient history to those recruits? I'm just saying, some people are constantly scratching their heads about why a recruit would consider Missouri or South Carolina in the same breath as us, and the fact is that there is not being much separation between us and those programs in these kids lifetimes. I think that is a hell of a lot better answer than for example, thinking Heupel can't recruit. I think he's done a good job recruiting under the circumstances.
I think those same teenagers I mentioned before, they're aware of Nebraska's proud history, and Notre Dame's. Miami's. Florida State's. So not just the school they grew up fans of. To a lesser degree, all the great programs of the modern era.

Now, they probably don't know much of anything about Army or Minnesota, much less Yale or Princeton.

So, something more than 40 years back, but less than 80, would be in the public consciousness.

Put that another way: youth (esp. pre-teens) pay attention to and gain perspective from their parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and great-grandparents. The more time they spend with them, the more they gather. So it's really a function of the living memory of one's close family members.

break/break

Recruiting is a different matter. Recruits can know ALL about every FBS program's history, and are still going to pick the school that (a) gives them best NIL $$$, (b) gives them the best path to the NFL, (c) has the coaches they respect most (d) has the right fit and feel to them, and (e) other considerations. History doesn't play into that so much, except for fellas like Jack Jones and (d).

Your point was, recruits and other young people "don't see us this way" (as a championship program, well beyond the likes of Mizzou). I think they most certainly do, when raised as football fans.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Dorkowitz has been at Mizu for 4 years, and is 1-3 against the Vols. That includes a loss to Cornbread.

Josh Heupel is a far, far better person than Steve Spurrier.

Both great coaches, sure, but not at all alike in personality. Thank God.

I'd prefer to think that Josh Heupel is becoming the new Robert Neyland. That would be far cooler, and more admirable.

Go Vols!

Steve Spurrier is not a bad guy. You just want to think so because he absolutely owned us and Fulmer in the 90s

Steve Spurrier is not a bad guy. You just want to think so because he absolutely owned us and Fulmer in the 90s
He jokes by putting other people down. That's not a part of his schtick--it is his schtick. His entire sense of humor consists of belittling others.

He also quit mid-season on his players and assistant coaches. Quit. On the people he was professionally closest to, who depended on him.

He's a nasty person. Talented football coach, but terrible human being.

That's why I think he's a "bad guy."

South Carolina found out what happens when you run your mouth to Tennessee. Rent comes due eventually and Tennessee fans never forget an insult. We will utterly vanquish Missouri and plow their fields with salt.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Facilities-Coaching staff- Fan Base- Resources-> tell the whole story.

It’s self evident to everyone else… or should be

Edit: Simplified … Mizzo Ain’t UT

After reading the article the "We stand on business" comment makes a lot more sense. At the time it was beyond bizarre and I'm not sure why it took this long to get an accurate explanation.

I hate losing. I hate losing to lowly Mizzou (they earned it, however). But... I am a coach. And what you do with your locker room and how you treat your word as your bond is everything in coaching.

I don't like Drinkwitz. However, I don't hate what he did with the "we stand on business" comment now that I understand what the hell it was about. His team stood up for him and refused to get pushed around and he made a stand for his team in response. The fact that he knew he would look like a jackass to the media and Tennessee is hilarious though.

Irregardless I hope we crush their souls each time we meet again. And I hope Heupel returns the favor with something similar... maybe "Vols by Fiddy."

So... maybe a good direction for this thread would be... original ideas for what Heupel should say to Drinkwitz after the next Vols win over Mizzou.

And, Go!
Eh you lost me at irregardless.

Dinkywitz is a baby faced jackss and I don’t respect him one bit. He’s basically that really annoying kid nobody liked that somehow was just always around and then would get over excited and hug hump someone. Like dude you’re weird, don’t touch me, go away.

His team is gonna be trash without baker as dc.

You kind of wander if Mizz and Drink O Water will be this falls SC.

2023 season, SC was supposed to be primed for a top 10 or better year, NY 6 Bowl or better, Heistman (sorry, that’s how I spell it after the Manning shaft) candidate, on and on….,,,

They went down faster than a tall boy at a frat party…

I know we took a step back this year, but going from the Orange Bowl to the Citrus Bowl would not be considered a failure, especially considering how we rolled Wisconsin.

Should be interesting.,,,,,

You kind of wander if Mizz and Drink O Water will be this falls SC.

2023 season, SC was supposed to be primed for a top 10 or better year, NY 6 Bowl or better, Heistman (sorry, that’s how I spell it after the Manning shaft) candidate, on and on….,,,

They went down faster than a tall boy at a frat party…

I know we took a step back this year, but going from the Orange Bowl to the Citrus Bowl would not be considered a failure, especially considering how we rolled Wisconsin.

Should be interesting.,,,,,

I know I was pretty hungover (or possibly still intoxicated) during the early stages of the bowl game, but-Wisconsin?

VN Store

Back