Drew Richmond?

If Richmond has the drive to give it one last shot, hit the weights, work on technique, and maximize effort, I’d take him back in a second. The guy has the physical tools to be a dominant OG. I don’t think he has the lateral ability for OT.

I blame Lyle and the old coaches a lot for Richmond. Kid got to college, and essentially faced no repricussions for coasting. No one did.

Reactions: 08Vol and tcash051
Does he like individual sports? How about wrestling, boxing, or track?
He likes the sports in his PE class, like informal basketball and volleyball, bowling. (yes, it's part of the class). But, nothing that takes a commitment.

Whys it tragic?
Because, he is a very strong kid. He took a weight-lifting class and was setting the bar high for the football players in the class. He has some physical gifts that he could exploit and, i fear, one day he will wish he did. Maybe tragic is a bit melo-dramatic, but, I wish he would give it a shot.

Oh, it sound to me as if it were tragic cause he cant live vicariously through his son. If folks have a talent to do something but dont because they dobt have the want or desire, it shouldnt be considered a bad thing, so long as they do what they want, not what others thing they should.
Reminds me of Officers early in my Marine Corps career, several officers talked to me about becoming an officer and sounded as if were a failure or waste of a career because I had no desire to do that. My goal was to become a SgtMaj, and I never considered it a failure to not live some one elses desires for my life.

Well, you may be right. i sure enjoyed watching my eight year old son dragging six players at one time during fun time during peewee practice. And was proud of the coach remarking that since he moved my son to center there were no botched snaps. (coach's son had been center). And the times right after weigh-in when I would buy him a hamburger to wolf down right before the game because he had to diet to make the weight limit. Show me a father who doesn't live vicariously through their son and I'll show you an absent dad, sarge.

With hard work. Almost anything can be accomplished regardless of natural ability or not.

Find out what makes him happy and try to take an interest. If you already haven't, i mean to say.

Agreed...

Read The Talent Code for a better understanding of where talent comes from..

Reactions: LittleVol
Because, he is a very strong kid. He took a weight-lifting class and was setting the bar high for the football players in the class. He has some physical gifts that he could exploit and, i fear, one day he will wish he did. Maybe tragic is a bit melo-dramatic, but, I wish he would give it a shot.
Yeah, I get that. Its hard to make someone want to do something. Maybe he will find something else.

Well, you may be right. i sure enjoyed watching my eight year old son dragging six players at one time during fun time during peewee practice. And was proud of the coach remarking that since he moved my son to center there were no botched snaps. (coach's son had been center). And the times right after weigh-in when I would buy him a hamburger to wolf down right before the game because he had to diet to make the weight limit. Show me a father who doesn't live vicariously through their son and I'll show you an absent dad, sarge.
I remember those days. I coached a pee wee team and had a couple players do the same.
Doesn't mean they are an absent dad, just have to find a way to enjoy the things their son enjoys. I never really cared for the sports my son plays but I enjoy then now, because he plays.

Reactions: tntar heel
Nobody here knows anything about Richmond. It could be anything. For instance, he wears glasses but I have no idea if he does during games. In either case, his performance may be vision related. Yes, he could be lazy, but nobody here knows anything. Personally, and like many, I'd prefer he be replaced by somebody who can do the job better, even if it's a 240# walkon. But what doesn't change is nobody here knows why Richmond's lack of performance is what it is. But you know how it is, folks who like sitting on their butt cheeks and being judgmental and pseudo-omniscient will do what they do.

My youngest could sling a baseball pretty darn well. Got to High school and that thing the girls have derailed the dedication. Meh, however he's a great guy with beautiful family and a good career going
That thing that the girls have, have always derailed a many career. Issa a powerful weapon that some use for evil!

Understood. My seventeen year old son is 6'2" and ( at least) 290#'s. He played pewee, but had to diet to meet 105# limit for 8 year old travel team. He's not obese and is very strong. But, he just has no interest in playing in high school. He has the gifts, but, no desire. It's tragic. I could make him do it, but, what's the point?
Does he have Xbox or equivalent addiction?

Part of this “tragic ness” may come from the fact many of us here had a certain level of talent in our day and didn’t work at it, wasn’t coached to achieve, etc and now looking back on it the “only if” scenarios haunt us and we just can’t bare to see the train wreck that might happen. My dad was retired military and wanted me to pursue it as well. Looking back I’ve always felt like I missed something by not giving it at least a couple of years. And we ALL have those friends who the Cardinals or Yankees or whoever told them they had million dollar arms and 10 cent brains....oh what if? That’s enough pontification on a Monday morning...kinda makes my head hurt .

Does he enjoy lifting weights? If so, there is always Powerlifting and Olympic Weightlifting. Just an idea. The thought of a kid with that size and strength sitting around playing video games to the point of addiction is tragic...........any kid for that matter.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
Part of this “tragic ness” may come from the fact many of us here had a certain level of talent in our day and didn’t work at it, wasn’t coached to achieve, etc and now looking back on it the “only if” scenarios haunt us and we just can’t bare to see the train wreck that might happen. My dad was retired military and wanted me to pursue it as well. Looking back I’ve always felt like I missed something by not giving it at least a couple of years. And we ALL have those friends who the Cardinals or Yankees or whoever told them they had million dollar arms and 10 cent brains....oh what if? That’s enough pontification on a Monday morning...kinda makes my head hurt .
You said it better than I.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
With hard work. Almost anything can be accomplished regardless of natural ability or not.

I'm sorry, but I have to chime in here. This sentiment is not only flat out wrong, it's actually very detrimental to our kids and society in general today.
I'm a teacher, so I'm trained to see the potential in all my students, but these days we tell ALL of our kids, "study hard, go to college, and make something of yourself - you can be anything you dream." Or some similar boiler-plate cliche trash. It's not true. Not in any way true.

Look, I'm 5'7" so the NBA is out because I can't leap like Spud Webb (though my first cousin was a UT record holder and 3-time NCAA national champion high jumper.) Football is my favorite sport, but I'm small boned, so I'd snap like a twig if I got hit hard by an elite defensive athlete - regardless of my physical conditioning (which can't make my bones bigger or stronger.) Fortunately for me, the world's greatest soccer player, Lionel Messi, is also 5'7". It's just a matter of opportunity. If I had the world's greatest training from the time I was a small child, like he had, and if I set my mind to it and worked at soccer conditioning and skills for 12 hours a day, like he did, then I could be a truly great soccer player. No I couldn't, and it's not even close. I don't have the fast twitch muscles of a world class athlete. I wasn't born with them and agility training won't magically create them within me. My first cousin was born with them, but I wasn't. No amount of polish is gonna turn my coal into a diamond.

I was, however, born with high intelligence and I've put it to good use. I probably had the brain power to become a doctor or some such, but I didn't have the drive, dedication, nor desire, so perhaps I failed to become all I could. You can be so lazy as to fail to reach your potential, but that's not the same thing as saying "if you work hard enough, you can be anything." NO YOU CAN'T. It's horrible for our children's self-esteem. You see, if they didn't make the team, it must be because they are too lazy to work hard enough. If they didn't make a 34 ACT so they could get a full academic scholarship to UT, it must be because they didn't study hard enough. No, many failures in life aren't caused by a lack of effort, they're caused by an unrealistically high goal. Very few humans have the intelligence to achieve a 34+ on the ACT and a lifetime of tutoring won't change whether you're on that list. That lifelong tutor can get you from 32 to 34, but when your 19 turns into a 23, nobody's gonna roll out a red carpet for you.

My first cousin tried three times to make the Olympics and all three times he failed. The goal wasn't unrealistic for him, but it would have been for me. Twice he missed the US Olympic team by one spot, and both times he didn't jump his best. And the Rams didn't win the Superbowl, but the dream was realistic. However, I kid you not, I have a room full of 7th grade boys who think they're gonna play in the NFL, or MLB, or NBA, or for Barcelona to be the next Messi. It ain't gonna happen, for any of them. Period. The data says so. A realistic goal would be make the high school team and see where it goes from there.

Why did I write this wall of text? I don't know. I'm just really bothered by the damage I see this sentiment doing to our young people. "You failed, you must not have tried hard enough." How awful.

AV

TL;DR - Work hard and achieve your dreams! As long as your dreams are realistic.

VN Store

Back