Drew Pember

As a Maryville Rebel supporter it wasn't easy watching Bearden beat Maryville by 23 points the other night. There is a silver lining though. I watched Drew Pember the other night. Drew Pember is 6'10 with a real good shooting touch and handles the ball well. Drew Pember needs to get stronger. Drew Pember is skinny. Drew Pember needs to redshirt. In a few years I could see Drew Pember helping the Vols. What impressed me the most about Drew Pember is his defense. Drew Pember moves really well for a 6'10 guy. Drew Pember guarded Maryville point guard Joe Anderson and smothered Joe all game long. Joe isn't a run of the mill high school point guard. Joe is a junior that has been offered by ETSU. Heard Belmont is interested in Joe also. Joe lit Bearden for 30 points in earlier meeting. Drew Pember didn't play in the 1st game because of injury. Bearden is a way better team with Drew Pember in the lineup. I was impressed with Drew Pember.
Fyp

Pember, Fulky, Kent, and potentially Kessler on next years team? By golly, we're becoming the Wisconsin of the south.

Don't know how to project Drew, but he will not be competing with Fulky... closer to Kent with the outside shooting, but see Kent as a 3/4 type... Do not see Drew in the 4 at all... Not sure how he fits in the Barnes plan, but you can bet he does or he would not have been offered.... Drew's handle is his strength, Fulky not so much, Kent I have not seen enough of to compare... I am trying not to let my homer instinct kick in as a guy who graduated from Bearden a mere 5 decades ago... though it was from a different building... from the Tipton Hollenbeck era... gosh I am feeling old....

I love a 6'10" guy that can shoot and has a handle. We can put weight on him, but harder to teach having a shooter's touch.
For sure. He developed guard skills early on, and as he grew, still maintained those skills. He will gain weight, and as you said, that shooter's touch with his height is going to pay big dividends.

If he can stay healthy I think Vol fans are going to love him
His health, at least from this last medical fiasco, has improved dramatically. Barring anything unforeseen, you will see some great things from this kid. Of course, addition of weight and strength is something we can project, as well.

His health, at least from this last medical fiasco, has improved dramatically. Barring anything unforeseen, you will see some great things from this kid. Of course, addition of weight and strength is something we can project, as well.
What was his injury?

I'm not sure there really is a Zach Kent. I think it's a mythical creature created in the press guide to confuse opposing coaches. I would put him in the category with Bigfoot and Planet X.

I disagree, he may not be strong but he isn’t hesitant at all about mixing things up down low and scrapping if need be...that won’t be Pember’s game.
Trying to be physical and being physical are not the same thing. He scraps but lacks upper body strength so he just kind of bounces off players instead of moving them.

VN Store

Back