Drew Pember getting some love on ESPN

He had his chance to make a difference on the best team he will ever play for, and missed out.

Reactions: feathersax
He had extremely limited minutes and was behind good players. Your analysis is flawed because of inadequate data.

He was absolutely dominated vs Arkansas a few weeks ago and was 1-7 in that game. They played UNC last year and he was 1-9, 2-16 vs his last two P5 schools isn't a ringing endorsement.
Dayton is one of the other better teams they've faced this year, though they are average in their conference. Dayton's big he matched up with had 27/12 and just dominated in a blowout win. Throw in his time here vs P5 and you see a pretty clear pattern of what happens when he's playing up vs the level of comp he'd face nightly here.

Unfortunately he can rarely get his shot off against P5 guys and he struggles horribly trying to defend any of them.
This year against 3 best teams they played UCF, Arkansas & Dayton all Top 70 KenPom teams so average SEC teams level…
UCF 39m 40pts 9rbd 2blk
Dayton 30m 16pts 8rbd 1blk
Arkansas 23m 5pts 4rbd 1blk

I think he could be a contributor at the P5 level in right spots, not sure you can ask him to bang around down low but I think in the right system he could be a nice piece.

He was absolutely dominated vs Arkansas a few weeks ago and was 1-7 in that game. They played UNC last year and he was 1-9, 2-16 vs his last two P5 schools isn't a ringing endorsement.
Dayton is one of the other better teams they've faced this year, though they are average in their conference. Dayton's big he matched up with had 27/12 and just dominated in a blowout win. Throw in his time here vs P5 and you see a pretty clear pattern of what happens when he's playing up vs the level of comp he'd face nightly here.
Look at UCF, which just lost to Houston by 11. Ehhh, we see what we want to see sometimes. When we’re truly willing to look at the big picture with honesty, then our “critiques” become more credible.

Look at UCF, which just lost to Houston by 11. Ehhh, we see what we want to see sometimes. When we’re truly willing to look at the big picture with honesty, then our “critiques” become more credible.

The big picture is that he plays big vs bad/small teams and in two years and his few games at UNC-A vs p5 teams he simply did nothing of note. In his career to date he's 11-38 from the floor vs P5 type schools and half of those makes were garbage time/end of game situations. His defense is a massive liability. He isn't able to defend posts with size and he's not able to defend anyone with lateral quickness away from the basket.

The question with him in P5 is could he contribute more on offense than he gives up on defense. So far in his career that's been a resounding "no".

The big picture is that he plays big vs bad/small teams and in two years and his few games at UNC-A vs p5 teams he simply did nothing of note. In his career to date he's 11-38 from the floor vs P5 type schools and half of those makes were garbage time/end of game situations. His defense is a massive liability. He isn't able to defend posts with size and he's not able to defend anyone with lateral quickness away from the basket.

The question with him in P5 is could he contribute more on offense than he gives up on defense. So far in his career that's been a resounding "no".
That was early in his career and he was inexperienced. Experience is a great teacher.

Reactions: EasternVol
That was early in his career and he was inexperienced. Experience is a great teacher.
He hit a single shot against Arkansas this year and a single shot against UNC last year. Even as option #1 he hasn’t done well against major opponents.

He hit a single shot against Arkansas this year and a single shot against UNC last year. Even as option #1 he hasn’t done well against major opponents.
The flip side of that point is that he’s drawing the attention of those teams #1 defenders and primary focus of the scout, would he fair better as a teams 5th or 6th option against those teams?

Yeah - not surprising since their defensive gameplan is to take him out of the game. Y'all are all over a guy like Tyreke Key who put up big numbers at a no name school and act like Pember couldn't contribute here now that he's had time to develop. And Pember is a lot more versatile due to his size than Key.

Yeah - not surprising since their defensive gameplan is to take him out of the game. Y'all are all over a guy like Tyreke Key who put up big numbers at a no name school and act like Pember couldn't contribute here now that he's had time to develop. And Pember is a lot more versatile due to his size than Key.

Just the opposite. Pember can't guard big guys at this level due to lack of strength and he can't guard smaller but athletic guys at this level because he doesn't have lateral quickness.

That said, Key is struggling on offense this year, shooting 10 percent below his career percentage and its because you don't face many athletic defenders at 1 bid conference level. Key can defend guards well enough though and actually has excellent size and strength for that at 6'3" and 205.

Just the opposite. Pember can't guard big guys at this level due to lack of strength and he can't guard smaller but athletic guys at this level because he doesn't have lateral quickness.

That said, Key is struggling on offense this year, shooting 10 percent below his career percentage and its because you don't face many athletic defenders at 1 bid conference level. Key can defend guards well enough though and actually has excellent size and strength for that at 6'3" and 205.
Key is what he was expected to be. Anyone that expected more wasn't being realistic. He's undersized and slow for the SEC.

And no not just the opposite. Pember can get his shot off where Key cannot in certain situations due to his size.

Last edited:
Key is what he was expected to be. Anyone that expected more wasn't being realistic. He's undersized and slow for the SEC.

And no not just the opposite. Pember can get his shot off where Key cannot in certain situations due to his size.

Pember has shown no ability to get his shot off at this level.

No one is expecting Pember to transfer back to the SEC and win SEC POTY and average 20ppg. Lmao.

Barnes is hard on his players ... Tough love, no sugar coating it. If you are not ready or willing to be coached like that or it turns out to be more than you want, then it is not a good fit and you leave. I am 99.9% sure that is what happened here. No hard feelings. I am happy with what we have. I enjoy this brand of basketball and I am hopeful that we break that glass ceiling.

Lol. Just admit you hate Pember and/or have never watched his game.

Ummm I've watched him play often from high school til now. He struggles with P5 athletes. There's a reason Barnes slashed his playing time and he transferred way down the food chain.

I've zero hate for him and wish him the best. That has nothing to do with clearly seeing glaring weaknesses in his game at the P5 level. 99 percent of basketball players would look worse vs the top .1 percent that play P5 basketball.

I'm pretty happy with being ranked #4 in the country. I doubt Pember would have made the difference between #4 and #1.

Ummm I've watched him play often from high school til now. He struggles with P5 athletes. There's a reason Barnes slashed his playing time and he transferred way down the food chain.

I've zero hate for him and wish him the best. That has nothing to do with clearly seeing glaring weaknesses in his game at the P5 level. 99 percent of basketball players would look worse vs the top .1 percent that play P5 basketball.
Yep. Because he wasn't ready. He's going to end up at a power 5 program regardless of what happened to him at UT. It’s not like he’s a Zack Kent.

Last edited:
Reactions: LibertyVol

VN Store

Back