Doug Matthews on the OC

Don’t argue or try to reason with the negatrolls. It only feeds their appetite for misery and need for self flatulation

Reactions: coach799
The overruling of the Freeze hire is now taking it's toll. My guess is a CO-OC promotion with Osovet and Friend announced soon. I personally don't think anyone will force CJP to hire anyone against his will.
Not so sure. If this was the plan, just do it about 5 weeks ago. There are 3 points coming up over the next month, in case we want to keep looking at more folks.

1. NC game tomorrow, in case we want someone coaching in that game.
2. Coaches convention in San Antonio, where you can interview a lot of coaches during the recruitong dead period.
3. NFL playoffs

Reactions: coach799 and CPA
I don't remember that, but okay, what happened?
Doug actually said UT picking who they wanted, that part was done (the 95%)
Guessing the candidate had initially agreed but something changed (Yurcich imo)

What if I told you that he never said the contract was 95% done and that was completely made up by fans?
The guy they want to hire, the decision has been made on that from the University of Tennessee standpoint,” Mathews stated. “Yeah, they’re interviewing some people, but that decision’s been made. I said Wednesday it was 95 percent done. There’s some things to work out. Maybe they’ve already been worked out. There’s no hurry to hire this person. The person they’ve got identified and the person Coach Pruitt wants, again, I think that’s a done deal.
downloadfile.gif

Last edited:
My take is that Freeze was CJP's first choice, but the problems with the SEC and CPF made that impossible. This wasn't an isolated issue with Freeze. Auburn backed off as well.

I think Yurich was the second choice. After interviews with several candidates including Briles and others, Yurich made the most sense. He was the "95%" solution until Meyer stepped down. Once OSU came into play, Yurich changed his mind.

My guess at this point, CJP and CPF have a short list of 3-4 candidates/ options that are being worked. We know that Sark is possibly one of the options. My feeing is that he would rather stay in the NFL. We could see a combination of coaches to fill the need going forward, one experienced OC who has called plays at a high level (Power 5 or NFL) plus a younger, creative, more innovative offensive mind. Lebby comes to mind in this role. Also a possible option is to stick with internal candidates like Friend. I wouldn't be surprised to see a NFL guy as the OC.

I know we all would like to see this done and over. But CJP is taking his time to hopefully get this right -- get the right fit. Let's refrain from the name calling and emotion. Patience. Patience.

Whenever you use specific percentages in things like this, then you are likely throwing **** against the wall or speculating. JMO and I don’t have any way to without a shadow of a doubt to prove that..........much like everyone else here.
My guess would be the DM said what he was told by someone high at the UTAD. Then of course, noone will come out and say they told him that or what actually happened.

Reactions: 91Vol
If you disagree, then disagree. No need to be an a$$hole, is there?
Simply responding to his claim that Doug “doesn’t just throw things out there”. Sorry your feelings got hurt.

Fans were getting restless over the OC hire so possibly Fulmer told Matthews it was 95% locked up so DM would share that info on air and calm the masses. Basilio said it wasn’t even close to being over. The superfans all believed DM and the negaVols didn’t. We now know who was right.

Either way Tennessee is still sh1t at public relations and needs to do a better job with their narratives. The UTAD simply needed to release a statement saying “We’re interviewing many top candidates and will have a guy by NSD”. Then folks aren’t asking why it’s taking so long for that final 5%.

VN Store

Back