Doug Mathews' thoughts on Team 121....

Richmond was never as bad as he was made out to be on here. Had the roster been in shape he should have worked into it as a G for a year or so before being moved to T like they will probably do with Trey.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with everything he says and still feel concern about the defense overall. Hopefully we don't have to put up 50 points to beat teams like Vandy and Kentucky.

Amen.

Here's an exciting thought: what if, on top of the offensive line and our QBs and Jennings and our other WRs, what if on top of all that, and on top of our ace punter and excellent return man (*fingers crossed Evan's back and healthy by August*), what if on top of ALL of that, two things happen: (1) Shoop proves why he was so hyped by the national media the year we hired him, and (2) our RB corps fills out nicely with Kelly leading an excellent group of youngsters?

Could be a championship year...I just love championship years that are supposed to be "rebuilding" years. :good!:

Attended last Tuesday's practice, had these observations on his show this morning...

1. Strength of the team will be the Offensive line. Said Wells doing an excellent job, guys playing with more toughness and attitude.

2. Most important development/move for this team/program has been the hiring of Rock Gullickson

3. Believes Drew Richmond has locked down the left tackle spot. Said everything was set up for him to just give up after his first two years on campus, but that he has come back better than ever, ready to play and has nailed down the LT spot.

4. Believes QD has the edge at qb right now. Thinks he should given his extra time in the program over JG.

5. Said he believes we have good to very good depth at DT

6. Said when he watched the practice on Tuesday from the balcony at Anderson Training Center, that several players jumped out to him as more "sudden", quicker players than the others......Nigel Warrior, Austin Smith, Shannon Reid, Darrell Taylor, Latrell Williams. Said there were others who impressed as well with their quickness and power, but that those stood out.

7. Said Trey Smith was the most impressive freshman OL he's ever seen, going back to his 10 coaching years at UT. Said he's definitely a 3-year player.

Said a few other things, but those are the ones that stuck out to me. Anybody else listening, feel free to add other points I may have missed.

My man Smith, its there folks.

Richmond was never as bad as he was made out to be on here. Had the roster been in shape he should have worked into it as a G for a year or so before being moved to T like they will probably do with Trey.

If Richmond can hold down LT, then May will take other tackle spot next year and Smith may stay at guard. We are close to having some nasty olines.

You're welcome my friend. He was very positive, feels like we actually have good depth at most positions. Said he was a bit concerned about DE depth, but then went on to pretty much rave about Taylor and then say good things about Kongbo. Could team 121 surprise this year? I'm not quite that optimistic but who knows? Still a lot of talent in the program.

Taylor should have been a 6.0, the masses will see. ✊️

Maybe for the first time since Butch arrived we will have an OL that is considered SEC worthy. I truly hope so.

:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove:

Lots of positives there from a guy who is usually balanced in his observations.

DBs didn't look that great but there were running vanilla packages and I believe a wet field usually favors receivers.

DL observation is music to my ears as that is one of the biggest concerns coming in. Picou looks totally transformed and if Vickers, Shy, and KMack all comeback at 100%, that will be super! Taylor looks the part too. A bit worried about Phillips, he has been banged up too much.

I hope Taylor really breaks out this year. I have been saying I think he will. Dude had insane explosiveness as a recruit.

He's also got some of that attitude that was all over the great Vol defenses. I love the points we put up, but if I miss one thing more than any other, it's knowing teams weren't ever going to run for a TD on us and QBs were going to **** in their pants.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=el5QXV-W5_g

I was listening to the Vol network radio for the spring game and they mentioned that QD went down to Florida over the break and worked out with a QB guru which had current NFL QBs, the guru (sorry I don't remember his name) said QD threw the best ball there.

I was listening to the Vol network radio for the spring game and they mentioned that QD went down to Florida over the break and worked out with a QB guru which had current NFL QBs, the guru (sorry I don't remember his name) said QD threw the best ball there.

Some guy said our guy was the best guy relative to some other guys? High praise.

Good to know, thanks for posting that. Pretty telling that we all knew/it was well publicized that JG was on a California beach working out with George Whitfield, yet it wasn't mentioned or known that QD was doing similar things with another qb "guru" at the same time down in Florida.

So many, including everybody in the media, are just assuming it's JG's job......as we all saw yesterday, not so fast my friend.

Reactions: 2 people
I hope you're right, but just on principle, I don't call a 18 year old RB elite until I've seen him prove it in SEC play. We need him to be great though. I just don't coronate anyone until I see them prove it on the field. Seen too many average busts to do that.

Amen. Too many gets tagged the next great thing and then reality happens. I hope Chandler can come in and end up being great but I really don't expect greatness from day 1 of anybody. The majority takes time.
Mathews does know his stuff(getting back tothe point of the post,lol)and I think it all depends on health once again. Potential can be reached if injuries are at a minimum.

Dobbs did the same. Our QBs work and impress.

Good to know, thanks for posting that. Pretty telling that we all knew/it was well publicized that JG was on a California beach working out with George Whitfield, yet it wasn't mentioned or known that QD was doing similar things with another qb "guru" at the same time down in Florida.

So many, including everybody in the media, are just assuming it's JG's job......as we all saw yesterday, not so fast my friend.

No problem. I wish I would've caught the name but I do remember the reporter saying Aaron Murray was there.

I honestly think QD can succeed if he has the protection up front and according to your original post, it may be our strength.

Tatum is a sophomore. Are you referencing Nathan Niehaus?

Yes, OT from Ohio. A 3* with not the best offers, but the guy looked chiseled and complete with a winning football players attitude. Don't know much, so I'm just asking.

Are we certain that it actually happened 🤔

Sounds like Guarantano in California.

Yes, OT from Ohio. A 3* with not the best offers, but the guy looked chiseled and complete with a winning football players attitude. Don't know much, so I'm just asking.

Up over 300, last I heard. Hoping he drops Kendrick further down the chart.

VN Store

Back