Doug Mathews might be interesting this morning

We can point fingers at everyone this week. Fact is VOLS did not come to win this game. It was obvious they either underestimated this team (thinking it was an easy win), were extremely uncoached, or just didn't care. In all my years of watching VOL football, I have never seen anything like this train wreck of a team. A lot of money is riding on UT to do great thing but we have been hearing that for many years and nothing seem to get better. Unfortunately, this fan base won't put up with much more before Neyland is less than half full for the games. I hope the beer sales go well. They will need it to counteract the loss in revenue from many fans.

Stat line skews everything. How many pass yds were garbage and the last TD was for not, the game was out of hand. Also, something to mention about TY chandler first fumble, I thought should have been an interception just my opinion. A laser thrown pass at five yds, it appeared it took everything he had to try and gain control of it bobbling till defender picked it up but call it a fumble, JG still was a culprit just as much with no touch on the pass.

Chaney called that game like JABBA.....fat, lazy, slimy, and sleazy.
No effort to establish the run....no counter gaps.... no bootlegs....no attempts to move the pocket and get JG rolling out....and really no deep balls....
Just total FAILURE from Chaney.

IMO, JG really only made 1 bad throw in the 1st half--at the end in the EZ. Yes, I honestly do expect a SEC caliber RB to catch a ball thrown a little hard at him when it hits him in the gut.

But the 2nd half really exposed JG's weaknesses for what they are--and he doesn't appear to be any better than he was last year-----AFTER ONE GAME.
Once gain--Chaney certainly didn't help his QB out any, but JG just froze out there when we really needed him to pull the trigger and make some good plays with his arm.

That's all I'm gonna say about JG for now...will be at the BYU game wearing my orange and hollerin' for the VOLS!

Chaney better get his head out of his john-brown hind-parts and throw the book at BYU. We can't afford to lose another OOC game this year!

GO VOLS!

In Chandler's defense, the first a fumble could really be chalked up as an interception, I don't think he ever had control, and the defense picked it up before hitting the ground. Regardless, JG thrown ball appeared it was moving as if re-entering the atmosphere. Hard to control ball moving at mach oh my god from a distance of 5yds and not expect a RB to be surprised at the velocity and possible problems with handling the pass.
This^^^^ 100% correct

If a guy comes free, Maurer will make him pay with his legs.

Or just deliver the ball on time.

Or audible to the right protection-

You people that STILL defend Jarrett Gaurantano after yesterday just seriously need to stop watching football.
If you think the answer is one of the freshmen that cant even separate themselves from each other, you're going to be disappointed. JG gives us the best chance to win, as sad and depressing as that is to say

If you think the answer is one of the freshmen that cant even separate themselves from each other, you're going to be disappointed. JG gives us the best chance to win, as sad and depressing as that is to say

Only one way to test the theory right??

Put him on the field.
See what happens. Leave nothing to doubt.
Practice is not the game!

What could he possibly have to say that is remotely interesting? He’s just a mouthpiece and everyone saw the game. Nothing more to say other than this program has tanked.

Doug was most critical of coaches Ive ever heard him. Questioned rotation of OL players, especially moving Freshmen around. Questioned benching Chandler, said if sat down because of fumble then why use him on kick returns in 2nd half. Questioned failure to get ball to playmakers, counting total of 21 touches between Chandler, Jennings, DWA and Calloway. Said Chaney nas to call better games. Said Ignont and Deandre Johnson shouldn't be playing LB. Wants to see Crouch, Banks, and Too'too playing more. Said Warrior was just a body in the secondary, didnt make plays.

Thought Chaney was genius and the offense would take off under his tutelage? Same for JG? He was very good at UGA and his previous stop. Can't recall the name but didn't he also coach up one of our transfers and get him drafted? So did.he suddenly regress and become a bad coach? Or could it be we are severely lacking in talent at several positions? I think it's the latter. No sense in throwing the baby out with the bathwater here. We just need a couple more recruiting classes and then we will see what kind of staff we have.

Says to find your 5 Olinemen and play them. No more changes.

I can't stand the way they do this. Put your guy in his spot and let him become comfortable there. Every position has different techniques, hand placements, stances, reads...it's just too much sometimes. We have 11 guys who know all the positions on defense, but can't play the one they're supposed to.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigOrangeD
6C1B20D9-F7C3-45D0-AC9C-011ADE929657.png
Anyone, I mean ANYONE, who points to JG’s stats to say he either isn’t a part of the problem OR is actually a decent QB...well he’s sitting somewhere looking like Mr. Burns.

That young man hoards his stats, snuggles his stats, caresses his stats, nurses his stats, etc, to make himself feel good and as though he didn’t do anything to HURT the team and was pretty darn good.

He’s the poster child for why stats CAN lie. Because his stats mug you in an ally after inviting you to dinner.

Chaney called that game like JABBA.....fat, lazy, slimy, and sleazy.
No effort to establish the run....no counter gaps.... no bootlegs....no attempts to move the pocket and get JG rolling out....and really no deep balls....
Just total FAILURE from Chaney.

IMO, JG really only made 1 bad throw in the 1st half--at the end in the EZ. Yes, I honestly do expect a SEC caliber RB to catch a ball thrown a little hard at him when it hits him in the gut.

But the 2nd half really exposed JG's weaknesses for what they are--and he doesn't appear to be any better than he was last year-----AFTER ONE GAME.
Once gain--Chaney certainly didn't help his QB out any, but JG just froze out there when we really needed him to pull the trigger and make some good plays with his arm.

That's all I'm gonna say about JG for now...will be at the BYU game wearing my orange and hollerin' for the VOLS!

Chaney better get his head out of his john-brown hind-parts and throw the book at BYU. We can't afford to lose another OOC game this year!

GO VOLS!
agree with everything except when you said the ball thrown a LITTLE hard..

In Chandler's defense, the first a fumble could really be chalked up as an interception, I don't think he ever had control, and the defense picked it up before hitting the ground. Regardless, JG thrown ball appeared it was moving as if re-entering the atmosphere. Hard to control ball moving at mach oh my god from a distance of 5yds and not expect a RB to be surprised at the velocity and possible problems with handling the pass.
Even though it wouldn't have mattered in this case since the ball never hit the ground, a QB and RB should be coached to NEVER throw that pass backwards. That pass always has to be a forward pass so that it cannot be a fumble. That is one of those little details that can make a big difference in a game. I'm not defending or criticizing JG in this statement but, this is a new offensive system with a new offensive coordinator. That will have an effect on any QB. All the players seemed to play this game as someone stated previously, like it was a pre-season game and from the statements by Coach Pruitt last week, the coaches certainly treated it that way with the trying a lot of players at different positions strategy. You can verbally say that you aren't going to "overlook" someone but the trying a bunch of different guys at different positions sends the sub-conscious message that it is a scrimmage. That seems to be exactly the message the players absorbed as indicated by the way they played.

Reactions: johnsonbrewer
No JG does not give us the best chance to win. He’s had world class NC QB resources in Martin and Weinke along with Chaney as OC and even Manning whispering in his ear but he still can’t see the field make quick decisions or play the vertical game we need to win.

Our WRs are the experienced core strength of our O and we need a QB who can see the field and get the ball to them or our season is DOA.

Maurer can get the ball downfield. I don’t care how many mistakes he makes. We need to cut the line and start investing in him bc losing to Sunbelt State as 26 pt favorites IN OUR 2019 YEAR 2 PRUITT HOME OPENER is absolutely positively as low as it gets. And the lack of accountability from our starting QB is lame.

Nah, what is depressing is the many still believe JG can lead this team. I would much rather lose due to young guys lacking experience and playing time than because of a veteran who still sucks and doesn't have the ability to put his team in the best situations, to include himself. You quote that the two freshmen can't separate themselves from one another, curious as to how much separation there is between JG and the freshmen. Who knows this could be a one time blunder and we win 7 games this year. Bottom line is that if we don't get it done against BYU and by done I mean a complete blowout, not some late FG win than it is time for change cause SEC is gonna be brutal and when it is, might as well get our young guys experience.

JG was 26-40, for 311 yards, 2 tds and a pick. He was blind-sided on a blitz, on the fumble. He and the receivers played well enough to win. The o-line gave him time, for the most part. But, 93 yds rushing, on 31 attempts, is not going to cut it, ever.
10 of the 31 rush attempts were by JG. I'm gonna guess few to none of those were called running plays.
1 was a jet sweep by a WR
That leaves 20 attempts for the RBs
7 of those went to the obvious 3rd string RB while the 2 best backs on the roster ran 13 times for 77 yards or 6 yards a carry.

2 take aways from that.

1. JG was 26 - 40. If you add the 10 rush attempts (which were called passes that were never thrown for whatever reason) We had 50 pass plays called to 21 rush attempts. If my math is right that's roughly 70/30 pass. That's a poorly planned or poorly called game.

2. Compounding the issue of poor balance (way to pass heavy) of the few carries by the RBs our best players Chandler and Gray, split evenly with Jordan. That's not a shot at Jordan but there is a clear difference between him and the other 2.

I believe Chaney has full reign over the offense and I believe for good reason. He has been a successful OC in this conference. It was not the level of failure displayed by the defense, but yesterday was a failure in planning and or calling the game by him.

We absolutely can lay blame on jg. He had 3 turnovers which directly led to 17 of their 38 points. Also, we had so many short possessions due to him sliding short of the line to gain, checking down to the te at the line of scrimmage on 3rd and short, missing a wide open receiver for a td at the end of the first half, and missing an open receiver on 4th and short late in the game that was open. Not to mention was not on the same page with his receiver ms at least 5 times. Yes we can blame the QB

A winning QB has the "it" factor. Makes plays when it counts. Rallies the troops. Inspires his team to win. Acts like a leader. Has a feel for the field when he is out there. Plays with urgency when it matters. Example: Bo Nix, Auburn, yesterday.

There were some brief moments early in JG's career when some of that fire was there, like when we lost late in the game against KY a couple years ago. But it's just not there any more. Acts like he is going through the motions, biding his time, padding stats, waiting for NFL contract.

I will say it again. It wasn't JG that cost the game. He sure didn't help, maybe he should be replaced for a game or two. The defense was the cause of yesterday's loss. Our D is just really bad now.

Reactions: wlkx
No denying there are plenty of problems on offense, starting with the fact we almost never get a push off the line. And JG, unfortunately, is just not a dynamic QB. But we scored 30 $&@#! points and that should have been more than enough to beat GAST. So I’m with DG - the fixation on JG and the offense is weird. The way GAST sliced up our defense was mind-boggling and that’s the reason this season is going to suck like an Electrolux if something doesn’t change drastically. Fix JG and the defense will come along? WTH?! Our defense looked like a JV bunch trying to stop the varsity. It was f’ing pathetic. I’m not in the “fire the staff” camp. We have freshman starting all over the place. That tells you everything you need to know about where we are with Jimmys and Joes.

Reactions: wlkx
JG was 26-40, for 311 yards, 2 tds and a pick. He was blind-sided on a blitz, on the fumble. He and the receivers played well enough to win. The o-line gave him time, for the most part. But, 93 yds rushing, on 31 attempts, is not going to cut it, ever.
I think perhaps you need to look a little less at stats and a little more at the fact we were playing Georgia State. As in, any halfway decent quarterback would've thrown for 300 yards and four TDs in the first half and gotten pulled for an underclassman in the second half. If you can't see that JG is a bad quarterback, you need to watch more football. He's the worst starter we have had in decades, and it's not close. As horrifically as the whole team played yesterday, if we had had any other starter from the last twenty years we would've won easily.

VN Store

Back