Don't want to be negative

Let’s be consistent Skippy….you ”think” that I think wrong. Or should I go lay a couple of grand on your Super Bowl prediction? LOL. You really are stewpid.
Lighten up Francis. Don’t be so sensitive.

This was Pruitt’s approach and the game has evolved well past it.

Georgia this year is the exception as defense is the crux of their team, but they might have the best defense in football history.

And all it took for Georgia was recruiting an entire defense full of 5-star recruits.

But it is a good point on their offense. Todd Monken is the other secret to why they might win the national title this year. Losing Chaney ended up being the best thing that could've happened to them. They had one year where they sucked with Coley, but getting Monken made up for that.

CJH is reading this thread right now; he just slapped his forehead and yelled “OMG! This guy is right! We need a defense! Why didn’t I think of that???”

The reason 'defense wins championships' is because at the end of the game when the other team is driving the ball for the go-ahead score, you have to have players on the defense who can go ultra-beast mode and shut it down.

Of course you have to have a potent offense, but if you can't shut the other team down in a championship game when it matters the most, then you will lose the championship game.

Get it?

No I don't want him fired but since you brought it up I didn't want him hired either.

I'm just not confident his scheme is going to work against good SEC/Top competition.

Wish we would go all out on DEFENSE and focus on offense to a lesser degree.

We all have to wait until we can see how he recruits.
So you didn't like playing two SEC games in a row where we put up 28 points on the board in the 1st quarter?! Both of those were considered 50/50 games when we played them! Our defense has played way above expectations for most of the season. Depth is needed and we will get a full roster and some backups! Heupel has cured the culture problem and players want to play for him! This team doesn't quit and that'll bring in recruits. Meanwhile, Florida and others are quitting! I'm loving this team and staff, but I didn't expect a Natty this year.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
The reason 'defense wins championships' is because at the end of the game when the other team is driving the ball for the go-ahead score, you have to have players on the defense who can go ultra-beast mode and shut it down.

Of course you have to have a potent offense, but if you can't shut the other team down in a championship game when it matters the most, then you will lose the championship game.

Get it?
What if your ahead by three scores!?

While I would agree Bama has improved things on the offensive side of the ball, "evolved" if you will, Bama's D is still pretty salty. 2017 their defensive stats looked a lot like 2021 UGA. CNS still believes in defense. They just dont get all of the talent they used to get on that side of the ball. They get their share, but they are accustomed to getting mine and yours too. That's not happening anymore. Smarts a good recruiter, and so was Pruitt. UT had plenty of talent on the defensive side of the ball. You cant win a championship without potent defense, IMHO.
Yes by no means am I saying Bama has not worried about defense. Saban is and always will be a defensive guy but even he has said in articles that the college football landscape is changing from a defensive game to an offensive game. He is willing to adapt and build. You still need a good defense but you can win ball games and be competitive with a great offense and a good defense that gets stops more than not.

It’s a gimmick period. Regardless of some games against average opponents National Championship teams control the clock and play great D.

but lets go back 10 years and find a national champion or a Top 5 team that ran this tempo offense.

There isn't one.

We need to build an offense around our DEFENSE.

Just a fool's opinion.
Why build something around something that sucks. Our offense is prolific. We just need a deeper OL and a much deeper D. We will be good.

Reactions: Vol Farmer
I would love to win the National Championship again, but I have enjoyed being a Vols fan and had a great amount of fun since mid 60s. Really, what is the odds we ever win one again, probably not in my lifetime anyway.
For me, a clean program I can be proud of, a fun offense, a coach that the players admire and respect and teaches them about life, a team that no one is looking forward to playing, and we are competitive with anybody is all that I expect.
To me, National Champions are so far and few I can have heck lot of fun not even expecting them.
I actually feel sorry for people that can’t enjoy the sport and the game, but only can be happy if we are Ntl Champs.
Agree with your thoughts. Well stated.

Reactions: OldVolMan
Alabama might as well have written the manual on both sides of the discussion. The three highest-scoring teams in program history have taken the field in the last three years. But in winning his seventh national championship this season, Nick Saban had one of his worst defenses. In fact, Alabama in 2020 had the third-worst defense (352.2 yards game) to win ever a national championship. That goes back to the beginning of the wire service era in 1936.

"We have a good defense," Saban said. "We gave up 19 points [per game] last year. That was first in the SEC. That's six points above what we think is average. The game is different now. People score fast. I grew up with the idea, 'You play good defense, you run the ball, you control vertical field position on special teams, you're going to win.' … You don't win anything now doing that."

Not these days. The most important statistics have become explosive plays and points per possession. You win those categories, you're usually going to win big..."I changed my philosophy about five or six years ago when Lane [Kiffin] came here [as offensive coordinator]," Saban added. "We said, 'We gotta outscore 'em.'"

With spread offenses still dominating college football, coaches wonder whether they'll ever be stopped

Agree. It's funny that Saban even stated that now-a-days Offense wins championships, right about the time his defenses started falling off.....

What does this Saban character know about modern football?

In the near future I think defenses are going to be more gambling oriented, especially if you have an explosive offense. Blitz, be aggressive, force negative plays and turnovers. Either force a turnover/mistake or give up a score and adjust for the next drive. At least it gets your offense back on the field.

Reactions: spyfish007
It’s a gimmick period. Regardless of some games against average opponents National Championship teams control the clock and play great D.
A gimmick is flea flickers, statue of liberty plays, qb looking to the side line for the play while the ball is snapped directly to the RB.
TN is playing up tempo or running the 2 minute drill without waiting until 2 minutes to run it. That's not a gimmick.

Reactions: spyfish007
Not necessarily. UF is a mess and that provides an opening.

The key is how Heupel recruits the portal.
Right now the portal is EVERYTHING to Huepel's recruiting. There's a reason why we only have 14 commitments. Huepel is looking to sign as many players that can help us win now as possible. I just hope he and this staff can hit on the right prospects to help us compete.

Reactions: sjt18
We had some chances to make it interesting against Georgia.

In the second half we were inside the red zone 4 times and only came away with 7 points. We were able to move the ball really well between the 20’s, but sputtered in the red zone.

I believe we can compete for the east next year if we can get some immediate help from the portal.

Depending on the spots available I think we need:

1- olineman (tackle)
1- DE (pass rusher)
1- DT
2- LB
1- CB
1- Safety

From the portal that can contribute immediately.

VN Store

Back