Don't let Kiffin pull a Ray Mears Sat.

The fans won't be on the field playing. I understand fans can have an impact, but nobody on the team has any connections to kiffin. I doubt our feelings about him have any effect on how our team plays. Jmo

College basketball invented the 45 second shot clock because of Ray Mears. His teams held the ball as long as they could as they just played keep away from the other team.

And too bad this game is on a Saturday night, cuz this is the night most folks around Ktown take a bath and get all lathered up.

Reactions: OldLofter
College basketball invented the 45 second shot clock because of Ray Mears. His teams held the ball as long as they could as they just played keep away from the other team.

And too bad this game is on a Saturday night, cuz this is the night most folks around Ktown take a bath and get all lathered up.
Ray Mears converted to an up tempo style several years before he retired. The shot clock was implemented several years after he retired. Not likely he had anything to do with it

Thought that was Dean Smith’s Four Corners Offense inspired?

The fans won't be on the field playing. I understand fans can have an impact, but nobody on the team has any connections to kiffin. I doubt our feelings about him have any effect on how our team plays. Jmo
Yeah!

And not only that, but the shouts that burst from the lungs of the fans will deafen the players on the field equally well regardless of whether they include the words "boo Ole Miss!" or "screw Lane Kiffin!"

Whatever floats the Vols fandom boat. We just need to be loud about it.

Go Vols!

Ray Mears converted to an up tempo style several years before he retired. The shot clock was implemented several years after he retired. Not likely he had anything to do with it

OK Debbie Downer - of course I know that the 45 second shot clock happened after he left (1983 to be exact) but, if you ever watched one of his games, I am confident that his strategy was part of the impetus for the change. Watching underwater chess matches was more exciting.

OK Debbie Downer - of course I know that the 45 second shot clock happened after he left (1983 to be exact) but, if you ever watched one of his games, I am confident that his strategy was part of the impetus for the change. Watching underwater chess matches was more exciting.
Again, they went up tempo several years before he retired. Do you remember that era? Not being a Debbie downer. Just stating a fact about his change in style of play. UT averaged well over 80 pts/game for the last several years of his tenure

The shot clock happened in 1985. Ray Mears ran a fast paced, high scoring offense that averaged in the mid 80s his last several years at Tennessee. Temple played in the Volunteer classic in 1973 and they chose to stall the ball for nearly 30 game minutes. Ray Mears informed their coach they'd never be invited back because they were there to entertain the fans. Not stall the ball and make the game boring.

Surely we have gotten the Kiffin out of our system by now. He was at Alabama three years. You would expect that was plenty to get him off our mind. Just win the game and make the atmosphere oppressive for the Rebels.

Reactions: volnut1
Dean Smiths four corner offense probably led to shot clock! Most boring ball you ever saw. Old mossbacks called it real basketball. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Thought that was Dean Smith’s Four Corners Offense inspired?

You are correct sir. Dean Smith killed the excitement usually around the 2 minute mark in many great, high profile games.

The 45 second came 8 years after Mears left coaching. The Mears stall offense was used in the 1960's when he lacked the players needed to run. He switched to run n gun in the early 1970's when he got Ernie, then Bernie the next year. Mears would have welcomed the 45 second clock after he made the switch.

Why take the cheap shot at the people of K-Town. Not necessary.

Reactions: volnut1
Again, they went up tempo several years before he retired. Do you remember that era? Not being a Debbie downer. Just stating a fact about his change in style of play. UT averaged well over 80 pts/game for the last several years of his tenure
Correct. Mears was a great coach, adapting to the players and the era, just like Saban has done. He is one of those coaches who could take another coaches players and beat that coach with his own players.

In an interview this week, Alontae said essentially that he knew who Kiffin was as an OC for Bama and he knew the fans had feelings one way or the other but that the opposing coach wasn’t really a motivator for the team.

Yeah!

And not only that, but the shouts that burst from the lungs of the fans will deafen the players on the field equally well regardless of whether they include the words "boo Ole Miss!" or "screw Lane Kiffin!"

Whatever floats the Vols fandom boat. We just need to be loud about it.

Go Vols!
Better watch what you say about Kiffen in front of some of our fans. They worse than the Volgaters.

C'mon, our players don't care about Lane Kiffin. They were all 12-14 years old living in different states (most of them) and playing middle/high school ball. I think they have enough motivation based on their play, discipline and how they've bought into this coach and scheme. LK will have the fans fired up, and that may come into play. But remember that OM runs a speed O like us so it doesn't give the fans much time to be a problem. I think it will really help if our D has a turnover or two, then it may be so loud and rocking that it affects them. But they've played the up tempo for a while, so I wouldn't expect too much disruption from the crowd noise. That said, I would love to see another episode of the Cal Bears kind on Saturday. Go Vols!! Also, the timing sets up right for us to beat the crap out of them and then Lane quit and go to USC again before the plane gets back to Craptown, MS. :)

I hope somebody throws a Coke icee on his big smug fat head

If you mean at the Kif's head, I hope not. All that do is promote the notion that Vols fans are a bunch of uncivilized, improperly weaned, idiotic, jilted girlfriend syndrome gaggle. Just as bad as Bamas, worse than Gators, and smell like a wet Saint Bernard. Surely, we're better than that.

Reactions: robby487

VN Store

Back