Don't care what you say, Vandy played incredible...

Isn't it nice when everyone shows up, full of respect, gunning for the moment, and plays their hearts out against No#1 the University of Tennessee Big Orange basketball?

He didn't give us any compliments, not even Grant. I bet practice is going to be rough today.
Hopefully we work on our ball screen defense. Pretty bad defensive performance 3 halves in a row going back to 2 nd half of the Bama game. Hope they can get it corrected or an "L" is coming sooner than later

I don't like the program but I respect a performance like that out of college students. Their kids appear to be class acts as well.

I was on the road when it started but I was so nervous after the first 20 minutes that I stayed off the board the entire game.

With that said, unbelievable performance by Grant Williams. A Player of the Year separating performance.

GBO and way to show your mettle!
They are a young and talented basketball team. It appears they have a good coach who can recruit and coach. Vandy will be a problem for the SEC the rest of the year. I am glad we get them at home for our second game with them.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Vandy took advantage of our help and switching defense ALL NIGHT. As soon as we would collapse the paint, sure enough on of their big guys was wide open for a dunk or one of their shooters was wide open for a three. And credit them, they found the open man and made the right play 90% of the time and shot 50% +. But we still WON. That’s all that matters. Grant wouldn’t be denied and he is starting to get the recognition, respect, and calls from the refs too. 23/23 FT is amazing. Schofield needs to break out of this slump soon or we will drop one of our next three. GBO 🍊

They are a young and talented basketball team. It appears they have a good coach who can recruit and coach. Vandy will be a problem for the SEC the rest of the year. I am glad we get them at home for our second game with them.
Still think the vandie coach resembles Pee Wee Herman.

Vandy just like Univ of Memphis always play their hearts out when they play UT rather it be in Football or basketball. What I don't understand is why not play like that the entire season and have a a good year instead of being 0-6 in the conference.. I guess having the pride of beating an instate rival is more important..or at least taking UT down to the wire and almost winning

I will never be a Vandy fan, but last night the Commodores were well prepared to take down #1 and I was impressed with how Bryce Drew attacked the Vols. I was more impressed by how Grant Williams said "get on my back boys" and single-handedly willed that win last night. Enjoy this ride, these Volunteers are special!

All during the game, it did not seem like Vandy was ever going to miss a shot. They played tough. Wondering why their record is so dismal. You would have thought they were ranked and SEC contenders. Last night, they could have beaten anyone. Almost took down #1.

This is the new normal for us; everybody wants a piece of our chicken. Nothing else will come easy.
Spot on. Everyone is saying that BUT it is absolutely true. I certainly believe we will still lose a game or two(hope that's all) along the way. The SEC is just to good and LSU, Alabama, Kentucky, Miss St, Auburn, Ole Miss are just too good to walk thru without losing, especially on the road. Being ranked number 1 can be terribly difficult. How many times have we seen "Number 1 loses again" headlines over the years?

And I still don't care to listen to anything being discussed during play other than the game itself. Maybe I'm the outlier and most folks like their games interrupted with other topics?
I didn’t mind it at first but they drug it on for like 5 min of clock game time. Kinda got under my skin, even my wife complained about it.

Reactions: 1985Vols
Play by play? They were commenting on baseball, and watching the basketball game cuz there was nothing else on tv.

Defense sucked. That’s why Vandy made it a game. Tennessee let them in the game.
Exactly.

You miss on a chance to choke them out early after a good start and you pump life into a mediocre to bad team.

We defended the pick and roll about as poorly as you can and the scary part is we really didn't adjust too much. Lee controlled the game with the ball in his hands and created open looks that they made more often than not.

Vandy took advantage of our help and switching defense ALL NIGHT. As soon as we would collapse the paint, sure enough on of their big guys was wide open for a dunk or one of their shooters was wide open for a three. And credit them, they found the open man and made the right play 90% of the time and shot 50% +. But we still WON. That’s all that matters. Grant wouldn’t be denied and he is starting to get the recognition, respect, and calls from the refs too. 23/23 FT is amazing. Schofield needs to break out of this slump soon or we will drop one of our next three. GBO 🍊
Liked the 90/50 observation.

Bryce Drew is a hell of a coach. Vandy would have been a dangerous team if Garland didn't get hurt. Vandy is full of 4 star top 100 players. Brown, Saben Lee, Nesmith, and then Shittu who was a five star were all rated higher than everyone on our team, with the exception of maybe Pons. Don't let their record fool you into thinking that they don't have talented players.

VN Store

Back