Dogs of VolNation and other pets that are inferior to Dogs

I'd love to learn to be a trainer. Don't know if I'd have the patience, though. I have a 6yr old Czech Sheppard "pound puppy" - GREAT dog, and a 4yr old AKC Malinois, also a great dog that is a bit neurotic.

It sounds like you have two great dogs. You are right training does take time and patience. I have always had at least two GSDs as house dogs and protection. The biggest issue I have found in training within a family environment is getting everyone in the household trained.

We got Nyssa as a small puppy. Bringing her into the home with my family and my father living with us. My dad was up in years and had some health issues. For this reason it was critical that Nyssa be trained immediately. We had to address jumping on people and getting under foot, also poison proof her (my father would sometimes drop his medication). Nyssa picked up on everything very quickly even at a young age. My kids kept sabotaging the training by sharing food with her and getting her excited / rough playing with her in the house. I spent more time training the kids then training Nyssa.

I have 3 rescue dogs and the things that were done to them are heartbreaking. I wish the same would be done to the "owners".

Reactions: 1 person
It sounds like you have two great dogs. You are right training does take time and patience. I have always had at least two GSDs as house dogs and protection. The biggest issue I have found in training within a family environment is getting everyone in the household trained.

We got Nyssa as a small puppy. Bringing her into the home with my family and my father living with us. My dad was up in years and had some health issues. For this reason it was critical that Nyssa be trained immediately. We had to address jumping on people and getting under foot, also poison proof her (my father would sometimes drop his medication). Nyssa picked up on everything very quickly even at a young age. My kids kept sabotaging the training by sharing food with her and getting her excited / rough playing with her in the house. I spent more time training the kids then training Nyssa.

People training would be tough, with me being the toughest to train. Haha

My Malinois gets overly excited anytime the wife or I get home. Jumping and yipping. We've tried to break her of this habit and have failed. 100% our fault.

She, the malinois, has a high ball drive inside. Outside, she loves her sticks.

Any tips for training the wife and I? We're both in our 50s and are empty nesters, however, still trainable.

Best dogs in the world, boxers. Big ol' happy muscle-bound clowns what love their people.

Rescued at about 8-10 weeks, we think she is a boxer-pit-? mix. Leaner and faster than pure bred Boxers, longer snout with the high strong jowl of a pit. She can be lazy and loves to snuggle, but her bark is ferocious-sounding and she can run all day.

I have 3 rescue dogs and the things that were done to them are heartbreaking. I wish the same would be done to the "owners".

I feel the same... it is so sad that people are capable of some of the terrible things I have seen and heard about. One of the purest things in life is the love and bond between a person and their dog.

People training would be tough, with me being the toughest to train. Haha

My Malinois gets overly excited anytime the wife or I get home. Jumping and yipping. We've tried to break her of this habit and have failed. 100% our fault.

She, the malinois, has a high ball drive inside. Outside, she loves her sticks.

Any tips for training the wife and I? We're both in our 50s and are empty nesters, however, still trainable.

It's so hard to resist that happy greeting!

I feel the same... it is so sad that people are capable of some of the terrible things I have seen and heard about. One of the purest things in life is the love and bond between a person and their dog.

I agree and maybe its just in my head but that bond seems to be even stronger with a rescue. My pit is pretty much always at my side when I'm at home. She wont come down stairs till I do, if I'm outside she has to be, if I am behind a closed door in my house she's waiting on the other side for me to come out, etc. I'm the one that took her out of her cage when we rescued her and I've always felt that's why she clings to me so. Like I said, maybe its just in my head but it sure seems that way.

I agree and maybe its just in my head but that bond seems to be even stronger with a rescue. My pit is pretty much always at my side when I'm at home. She wont come down stairs till I do, if I'm outside she has to be, if I am behind a closed door in my house she's waiting on the other side for me to come out, etc. I'm the one that took her out of her cage when we rescued her and I've always felt that's why she clings to me so. Like I said, maybe its just in my head but it sure seems that way.

Our dog is the same with me, even though my wife and kids went in and picked her out. If I go outside without her she'll sit at the door and whine. If I'm in the living room she has to sit with me. If it's just me and her home and I go in the bathroom and shut the door she'll cry.

Our dog is the same with me, even though my wife and kids went in and picked her out. If I go outside without her she'll sit at the door and whine. If I'm in the living room she has to sit with me. If it's just me and her home and I go in the bathroom and shut the door she'll cry.

They can sense their own kind, IMO.

Here is my neurotic Maliniois. She is a great dog, like I told CHV, she gets super hyper when the wife or I walk through the door, jumping and yipping, happy that her heard/pack is home.

ETE: her name is Sophia vom (Malinoisvol)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
This is my Czech Shepherd. She isn't real fond of having her picture taken. We got this picture when she least expected. She loves her rub n scrubs, tho. (She is 10 pounds lighter now after steroid treatments)

ETA: her name is Comet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I'd post a picture of mine if she'd let me get a good picture. My dog is like BigFoot, the only pictures of her are blurry and/or faceless. :)

Mine is in the dark behind my head Freak. A blurry picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 2
I can actually just see it. What kind of dog is that? (sorry if you've already said and I missed it)

She's half chihuahua/ half jack Russell. She's a mess. Watching a movie with us now.

I was gonna guess chihuahua but it was hard to tell for sure.

She's not as bad as a full blooded. She'll bark a lot at a stranger, but calms down quick. Good dog.

She's not as bad as a full blooded. She'll bark a lot at a stranger, but calms down quick. Good dog.

My dog is definitely a yipper. She barks at everything, except, of course, when there's something she should actually be barking at. :)

One night I locked my self out of the house and was tapping on the door of my bedroom to get my wife's attention. I woke up (and scared half to death) both my wive and daughter. My dog? She slept through it.

VN Store

Back