Does The Vandy Game Need A Nickname? A Trophy?

The concept was advanced by David Ammenheuser, the Tennessean's current sports editor. As a recent transplant, he does not realize that Tennessee fans significantly outnumber Vanderbilt fans in middle Tennessee. [...] If one absolutely insists on giving Vanderbilt pseudo-equal billing, it could be named the Neyland/McGugin trophy in honor of the greatest coaches in the respective histories of the two programs.

This (above and below), from last year when this question was posed for Volnation:

I think a name that honors two historic coaches--especially our beloved General--is totally worthy. The one thing this whole idea necessarily lacks (for lack of time) is the accumulated heft of tradition (like the 1925-97 "Beer Barrel" had for the Tennessee / Kentucky game).

Adorning the cup or trophy with the names Neyland and McGugin, both legendary coaches whose coaching stints were interrupted by world wars, would give the award long, deep roots in college football history.

As for the order of the names, I think phonetics and how the name rolls off the tongue should determine. If the award is a trophy, I'd vote Neyland/McGugin Trophy. If it's a cup, then call it the McGugin/Neyland Cup.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being one of those giant, heinous wooden plaques, shaped like the state of Tennessee.

Political correctness in both universities would require it be from repurposed materials. So craft it with teak from one of the Commodore's old yachts, and inlay it with repurposed copper from an abandoned east Tennessee still. That kinda gets to the class warfare this rivalry actually embodies.

Reactions: alaVOL and UTProf
Taking this seriously for a moment...

The Country-Bluegrass Bowl

The subtitle could be something about the regional music.

EDIT: Another idea -- The Cumberland Plateau Tallyho Tango!

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD
Here's a few I came up with;

The Grand Ole Rivalry (for the Opry)
The Battle for the Smokies
The Meeting (Tennessee is an old Yuchi Indian word, Tana-See, meeting The Meeting Place)
The Whiskey Wallop

Reactions: CampBlount
As noted above, two years ago, when the game was last played in Nashville, the Tennessean asked for suggestions and said they were going to choose the best suggestion and create an award to give to the winner.

The sports editor, David Ammenheuser, wrote a column listing the better suggestions. And then ... nothing. No "winner" and no award. Typical, since the retirement of David Climer, F.M. Williams, et al.

Last edited:
No way!!!
Vandy is that not overly attractive girl you took home after a long night at the pub.
You had fun laying the wood but don’t go bragging about it!

Yea. TN needs to get back to the level where this game is thought of as the after thought game again.

V game?? (Play on THE game.)

Get It? Vols and Vandy

I know it's terrible. . . :thud:

When the Vol Universe gets back on track, it should be the Cupcake Bowl.

Right now, it's a bit spooky to think that we could be the cupcake.
unsure.gif

90% of these posts are jokes. Ok we get it, both these teams suck right now. But I believe we really do need this to be a "Rivalry game".... even if it goes back to being one-sided. Traditionally, we played Kentucky the last game of the season for the Wooden Beer Keg. That was as one sided as it gets for a long time. However, that ended after the unfortunate car accident. Then, UK decided to move their finale vs Louisville.... their in state "rival" (used to play to start season). This had us move Vandy to our finale as our new "rival" for Rivalry week. I believe they used to play Wake Forest in their finale? Again, I get it. Vandy sucks. But we shouldn't minimize the fact that they are an SEC East team in the same state. Weren't they a "rival" in bball during the Stallings era? Just look at all the Rivalries being played Thanksgiving weekend. Not all prime matchups, but all have either history or geographical significance. I consider Vandy a rival. If most don't, maybe they should look into a new permanent rival to end each season? However, most of the other SEC schools are locked into other rivalries for the final weekend. Would Memphis be a better option? Any other ideas? I dont think theres much choice out there.

Bama Auburn
Ole Miss Miss St
Ark Mizz
UGA GA Tech
FL FSU
Clemson South Carolina
UK Louisville
OSU Michigan
Oregon Oregon St
Washington Wash St
Stanford UCLA
USC ND