Does the Sugar Bowl have any freedom of action?

Does AD White have any ability to sway the Sugar Bowl decision making and have them pick Tennessee over the Alabama team they defeated head to head? Does VolTwitter have any usefulness here? What are the strategic options over the remaining five days before Bowl picks go out? I am not giving up yet! We deserve Sugar here
Wouldn't make sense to me. If they end up getting K State (meh, right?) Then the smart idea to me is Bama. Tenn vs K State isn't as big of a draw.

Wouldn't make sense to me. If they end up getting K State (meh, right?) Then the smart idea to me is Bama. Tenn vs K State isn't as big of a draw.
Well if Kansas St beats TCU it’s a big game. KSU is 10th and a win would put them up even higher. They would be ranked ahead if Clemson at that point and probably on our heels. I would be happy with either the sugar or orange especially if KSU beats TCU then it is a much bigger game. GBO

Does AD White have any ability to sway the Sugar Bowl decision making and have them pick Tennessee over the Alabama team they defeated head to head? Does VolTwitter have any usefulness here? What are the strategic options over the remaining five days before Bowl picks go out? I am not giving up yet! We deserve Sugar here

No. The Sugar bowl must take the highest ranked team in the CFP rankings or the conference champion if the champion not in the playoffs. Sugar Bowl has no option to deviate from that process.

Good question by OP tho... if the Rose Bowl would have the freedom to bypass Ohio State and select Penn State, why wouldn't the Sugar Bowl have the freedom to bypass Alabama and select Tennessee?

the Rose Bowl is the only bowl with that freedom built into their contract. No other bowl has that option contractually.

the Rose Bowl is the only bowl with that freedom built into their contract. No other bowl has that option contractually.
Then the SEC needs to get tougher in it’s bowl arrangements. That allows the Big 10 to maneuver more than the SEC or ACC. We need to pull out of tie ins all together. There should be no tie ins not for the anybody including the freakin rose bowl and the big 10 who wants the cake and to eat it too and they aren’t even the best conference and haven’t been for years. GBO

No. The Sugar bowl must take the highest ranked team in the CFP rankings or the conference champion if the champion not in the playoffs. Sugar Bowl has no option to deviate from that process.

Funnily enough, this is true for the SEC side of things but not the Big 12 side. The Big 12’s part of their contract with the Sugar Bowl specifically denotes that the team with the best overall record (not highest ranking) receives the bowl bid when the Big 12 Champion is in the playoffs.

Funnily enough, this is true for the SEC side of things but not the Big 12 side. The Big 12’s part of their contract with the Sugar Bowl specifically denotes that the team with the best overall record (not highest ranking) receives the bowl bid when the Big 12 Champion is in the playoffs.

My guess would be that most of the time one team has both of those..

The Sugar can pick any Big 12 team if the conference champion is in the CFP. From the Big 12 website

"Big 12 bowl partners will make selections from the remaining Conference teams. Following is the order of selection. A bowl may pick from any available teams with .500 or better records when it reaches its spot in the selection order. After the placement of those teams, slots will be filled from among the pool of remaining teams.
Allstate Sugar
Valero Alamo
Cheez-It
TaxAct Texas
AutoZone Liberty
Guaranteed Rate
Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl*/SERVPRO First Responder Bowl
*"

If TCU makes the CFP, the Sugar could opt for Texas as they may bring more fans than any of the other Big 12 schools. That would result in a rematch with Bama which may not be ideal. Possibly that would allow a smoke filled room deal where Bama would instead take the Orange Bowl and Tennessee the Sugar.

Good question by OP tho... if the Rose Bowl would have the freedom to bypass Ohio State and select Penn State, why wouldn't the Sugar Bowl have the freedom to bypass Alabama and select Tennessee?

The contracts are written differently. The SEC’s contract with the Sugar Bowl specifies the conference champion or the highest CFP ranked SEC team if the champion is part of the playoffs. (The purpose being both to guarantee the conference champion a spot and also to prevent the bowl from passing over the highest ranked SEC team for another ranked behind it solely for reasons of the first not being as big a brand…i.e., in a given where there were an 11-1 Missouri or a 10-2 South Carolina or Kentucky, etc, the bowl taking a 9-3 Georgia, Florida, or Alabama because they’re all larger brands and would be larger draws).

The Rose Bowl’s contract is written differently regarding both the Big 10 and gives them that freedom in a certain case, to prevent a diminishing return due to people getting sick of the same team(s) repeatedly playing each year.

In a similar vein, the Big 12’s contract with the Sugar Bowl also differs: it’s written in a way that requires the tie-in not to be based on the highest ranked team but rather the remaining conference team with the best overall record if the Big 12 Champion is in the CFP.

Reactions: bpalmer28
My guess would be that most of the time one team has both of those..

I mean, yes, that would mostly be the case, but it’s an odd caveat to specify. Why not just make it the highest ranking? That’s generally already heavily based on the team’s overall record.

If I had to guess, I would presume it was to give the Sugar Bowl a little wiggle room, given the conference’s then-make-up of members.

For example, look at this year: had Kansas State lost to Kansas in the last week their record would be 8-4 (8-5 after a conference championship loss). The other teams that finished at 8-4 would be Texas. Specifying highest ranking would (probably) mean Kansas State gets the berth. Best overall record means either Kansas State or Texas could the berth…and which one of those two would be more preferable to the Sugar Bowl were it allowed choice in the matter?

Last edited:
Reactions: bpalmer28
The Sugar can pick any Big 12 team if the conference champion is in the CFP. From the Big 12 website

"Big 12 bowl partners will make selections from the remaining Conference teams. Following is the order of selection. A bowl may pick from any available teams with .500 or better records when it reaches its spot in the selection order. After the placement of those teams, slots will be filled from among the pool of remaining teams.
Allstate Sugar
Valero Alamo
Cheez-It
TaxAct Texas
AutoZone Liberty
Guaranteed Rate
Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl*/SERVPRO First Responder Bowl
*"

If TCU makes the CFP, the Sugar could opt for Texas as they may bring more fans than any of the other Big 12 schools. That would result in a rematch with Bama which may not be ideal. Possibly that would allow a smoke filled room deal where Bama would instead take the Orange Bowl and Tennessee the Sugar.

Seems that is worded different than what I've seen from other sites... Guess we will see how it flushes out Sunday...

Sugar Bowl loses some of its autonomy when the SEC championship is in the playoffs semifinals or the Sugar Bowl is hosting a semifinal, it is all about creating an event from the list and ranking of teams by the CFP selection committee.

Within the CFP strata, all of the schools at that level travel well, bring huge official parties, have significant and casual followers not connected to the schools and have a significant national collegiate athletic presence, that is why they have been so slow to allow schools in to the actual playoff from the non power 5 conferences, i.e. Cincinnati, UCF, Boise State, Houston, Western Michigan, Memphis, Appy State, Coastal Carolina, etc. with solid records in less competitive conferences.

At the Alabama game this year, Neyland was chocked full of interested football fans and undergrads from all over the country, totally unaffiliated with either school, but wanted to experience big time college football on the national scale and the CFP bowls look to do that with each of their games. Expansion wouldn't be expectations to change that approach much and the likelihood of the CFP organization scooping up other bowls is not likely, they will use existing CFP Bowl venues or other suitable venues for quarter final games before pushing the competition into their existing CFP framework, further separating this process from the bowls on the periphery such as the bowls in Tampa, Jacksonville, Houston, Charlotte and Detroit, which sit in modern NFL stadiums but don't have the history or the draw the CFP crowd has.

The CFP fixed most of the flaws from the old BCS, but there are still a few human concerns in the CFP framework that expansion could fix. As long as the NCAA is out of the mix, we should all be very thankful.

If by chance we get bumped down to Cotton, I’m hoping our AD encourages Commissioner Sankey to absolutely destroy any “privilege” that the rose bowl would like to maintain moving forward anx immediately re-negotiate contracts for bowls with SEC ties to let the “SEC Ranking Rules” (not CFP rankings) be applied for selections of SEC teams to non-CFP bowls.

Our Conference Ranking system would easily have us ranked above Bama since they weren’t even a divisional champion.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back