Does the blowout absolutely destroy any..

I think recruits really like Pruitt. He can get them on campus but ultimately the big time guys choose Ala, Clemson, or Ga. Not near enough players decide based on early playing time. The great ones know they can compete wherever they go. As a previous poster said, if playing time was a big deal the bad teams would sign lots of great players so they can play early. I see this recruiting class just like the past 10 classes. Top 10 - 20 nationally and 6 or 7 th in the SEC. Sounds good, looks good, but not enough to improve by leaps and bounds. Give Pruitt 4 or 5 years and he will have Tenn back to mid pack of the SEC. Pruitt and staff are good, but most every coach in the SEC is good. I don't see TENN being a big winner just because Pruitt is the coach. I wonder who will tire of the rebuild quicker, Pruitt or the fans. I hope not the fans because the last 3 hires have shown no big name coach will leave their current gig for Tenn. You might over pay for a mediocre coach.

I think recruits really like Pruitt. He can get them on campus but ultimately the big time guys choose Ala, Clemson, or Ga. Not near enough players decide based on early playing time. The great ones know they can compete wherever they go. As a previous poster said, if playing time was a big deal the bad teams would sign lots of great players so they can play early. I see this recruiting class just like the past 10 classes. Top 10 - 20 nationally and 6 or 7 th in the SEC. Sounds good, looks good, but not enough to improve by leaps and bounds. Give Pruitt 4 or 5 years and he will have Tenn back to mid pack of the SEC. Pruitt and staff are good, but most every coach in the SEC is good. I don't see TENN being a big winner just because Pruitt is the coach. I wonder who will tire of the rebuild quicker, Pruitt or the fans. I hope not the fans because the last 3 hires have shown no big name coach will leave their current gig for Tenn. You might over pay for a mediocre coach.
Wow...ok

How could it hurt?

If I was them, I would be taking advantage of the opportunity to showcase my skills better than these players we got now.

I keep hearing it's more about the relationship than the results.... Let's hope this is true.

We need OL, DL, LB badly. We could use more/better skill position players, but the big nasties are the biggest need.

I can't think like these young people do BUT:
Recruit (A) has narrowed his recruitment down to two choices

{1} A school that has historically underperformed from that of most football fans. They played well last year but have no SEC Championship nor National Championship to show for,it.
I will likely NOT have any considerable playing time until my junior year but this school is a factory when it comes to,producing NFL players
OR
{2} I can choose a school who has performed well from 1985 - 2007 and was a top program. Since 2008, they have been average at times and very below average A lot. I can be 85% that I will get immediate playing time as a freshman. Be A part of turning the program around ans this school is a top program for NFL draft selections

I pick team (B)

I don't think so. I think it kinda helps (playing time), and the recruits seem to be buying what Pruitt is selling

Reactions: rocketskates
I don’t know. Judging by what Pruitt is saying to the media I imagine he’s selling early playing time and yesterdays game only reinforces that strategy.

5-7 was what most talking heads and media people were saying. We're at that mark. May stay there. Won't matter to potential recruits. We have a bunch of spots that we need help at obviously. I don't think anyone thought Pruitt was going to contend for the East. He somehow beats Vandy and that would be 3 more SEC wins than Tennessee had last year. Already have two more. Glass half full type of thing i guess..

I think it just proves we need help even more. The O Line was showcased tonight. The backhalf of the secondary has upperclassmen who suck. I honestly don’t see how it hurts for a coach’s first year.
Yeah, but 8-9 wins minimum Baby! Bank it....amirite?

Yeah, but 8-9 wins minimum Baby! Bank it....amirite?

Once again you ignorant twat, I never guaranteed 8-9 wins. Yet for the umpteenth time, I have asked you to show proof or quotes where I "Banked 8-9 wins."

But what happens, You crawl back into your hole like a preteen. It is amazing when you get called out constantly, you run and hide like a pansy. I'm here waiting for the proof behind your claims. Yet, you run and will likely be back in a month.

This thought has never made any sense to me. Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc would not consistently recruit at a high rate if that was true. None of those teams tell recruits they will be riding the pine. They do tell them they have the opportunity to compete for their position as well as compete for championships. If playing time was a viable reason, cellar dwellers would rise up occasionally cause they would be mopping up top recruits on down years. Bama just had a field full of freshmen win the national championship. Clemson just booted an experienced quality QB for a freshman sensation. That's what the top competitive recruits want. An opportunity to compete for a job, a chance to win a national championship and to get prepared to be on an NFL draft board
Very good points. And I suspect some players with pro aspirations don't want to be thrown into a starting position right off the bat. At least at certain positions. They want coaching, training, conditioning and the opportunity to start after they have developed a little.

The promise of early playing time is soooo 90s. Elite prospects want to go the league. They can go to an established NFL pipeline where they will be appropriately trained, conditioned, and coached, and thanks to deep rosters they will be featured with plenty of snaps on national television without getting overworked and unnecessarily risking injury. Or they can go to UTK. Hmmm?

Don't underestimate the immediate playing time angle either. A lot of these kids have been rock stars their whole life and don't want to sit on the bench.

VN Store

Back