Does Rocky Top hurt Tennessee football?

Does the minority athlete hold the country song we are so aligned with against us ? Does the song hold or give racist overtones?
Which parts are 'racist'? I'll have to go back through the lyrics. I don't see it working against us but I will say the lyrics themselves are a bit 'bizarre'.

I disagree that the mustard bottles were an embarrassment. For anyone watching that without an agenda, they saw passionate fans. The recruits that were at that game loved the atmosphere. Not one said anything about being embarrassed.

What a ridiculous thread about nothing.
yeah there was just 1 mustard bottle and 1 golf ball -- but 3 seasons of Beldar Cornbread

I don’t get the fascination with the mustard bottle. The golf ball was a little bazar, but stadiums sell hotdogs, mustard goes with hotdogs. All fan bases at one time or another have thrown trash on a field or court.

If you think our song is old and doesn’t resonate with today’s youth, google the original words to “ my old Kentucky home”!

I don’t get the fascination with the mustard bottle. The golf ball was a little bazar, but stadiums sell hotdogs, mustard goes with hotdogs. All fan bases at one time or another have thrown trash on a field or court.

If you think our song is old and doesn’t resonate with today’s youth, google the original words to “ my old Kentucky home”!
lol but they got this version too

Does the minority athlete hold the country song we are so aligned with against us ? Does the song hold or give racist overtones?
Nothing could be worse than this ..........
University Of Florida Uf GIF by ScooterMagruder

or this
Espn Seminoles GIF by College GameDay

No. It isn't the adopted fight song. What hurts Tennessee is the decade of failure followed by a really passionate fan base who wants to win and do it now. Nothing wrong with wanting to win of course... It's the Mustard bottles and Schiano stunts that give us the bad reputation according to media. They push that agenda, what is done is done and we need to own that we have our University as fans and alumni alike. This is our state the Vols are what we know and love. This is the Volunteer state after all. Just my two cents and let me add the mustard bottles were a true embarrassment as I was there. However it didn't help us moving forward. Hopefully that never happens again and officiating gets better as a whole around the league. I say this it's Tennessee against the world... Go Cols F*** em all
I've always wondered, ever since that game; how did anyone get a mustard bottle into the stadium? The same way they could sneak in a bottle of Jack or whatever their pleasure was?

Inspired by that Survivor reality TV show, the one where people get to vote each other off the island once a week or whatever,

Each month, Vol Nation ought to be able to collectively vote one person out of thread-starting privileges for a year. We could collect nominees all month long, then at the end have a big poll on which one loses the right to start new topics.

They can get it back after 12 months. (but then could quickly lose it again, heh)

This is an idea with merit. Please consider it, @Freak . I'm even okay if I'm one of the ones voted out!

Go Vols!

I disagree that the mustard bottles were an embarrassment. For anyone watching that without an agenda, they saw passionate fans. The recruits that were at that game loved the atmosphere. Not one said anything about being embarrassed.

What a ridiculous thread about nothing.
I’m as proud of Schiano Sunday as I am of about anything else Vol-related.
That was strong.

I guess I must be the most naive person on the face of the earth. When I first heard Rocky Top back in the early 1970's when i was in my early 20's, I heard it was supposed to be a happy song, unlike other Bluegrass and Country songs that were about dying or losing your girl. With that as background, I thought about those two strangers who went upon Rocky Top looking for a moonshine still. I supposed they found the still and found some people sipping moonshine and joined them. Before long, those two were no longer strangers anymore. Everybody was feeling pretty good. Now that these persons are not strangers anymore, they got to looking around and like what they saw. It became "Home, sweet, home" to them, too. That's why the strangers didn't come down from Rocky Top, no need to. Why would anybody want to leave? "Rocky Top, you'll always be, home, sweet, home, to me, Good Ol' Rocky Top, Rocky Top, Tennessee".

VN Store

Back