Does NIL and Transfer Portal equal Parity in CFB

#1fulmerite

Only losers dislike winners
I’ve been thinking for a while, Since Saban’s retirement, that Bama’s dynasty is officially over; had it not already been. If Smart at Georgia doesn’t win it all this year, I think they tread down; may tread down regardless due to potential player playing time elsewhere plus potential money. CFB is becoming more like the NFL, will there be any long term dynasties, such as what Bama had? I know Brady and the Pats had their long standing run but, can that be in college with players only playing for four years?

I see Bama going back to the Perkins/Curry eras and another revolving door. With NIL and easy transfer rules, to me, it seems that many CFB teams could have one offs and win the NC. However, do you guys think the expanded playoffs will work more for the traditional blue bloods of CFB. Do you guys think the traditional power houses will always get the premier players, regardless?

Reactions: Hairy Vols
The traditional powerhouses will always get the best, yes, because they can and will pay for it. The parity will be distributed amongst the top programs. There'll be an inner orbit of dominance, with programs like Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Georgia, Alabama, LSU, and then an outer orbit of near-dominance with Tennessee, Penn State, Oklahoma, Florida, FSU, Clemson, USC, and Oregon, (and also A&M, Wisconsin, and Washington but I'm curious about those three in the new era). Programs may be able to bounce between those two levels, but for the most part the orbits will be stable. The biggest alumni bases and the biggest networks of alumni and fan money are going to win out, and only a handful of schools have that to call on.

Outside of the TV contracts keeping things somewhat level at the conference level, there won't be any more parity. Anyone who's capable of distinguishing themselves at schools outside those two levels will be hired and brought in to play at the premier schools.

I may be wrong, but I don't see NIL or the transfer portal causing parity. I believe the top 5 - 8 or so teams that always get the majority of 4 and especially 5 stars will continue, Ohio St, Michigan, Georgia, Bama, etc. They paid to get the big name players before, they'll continue to pay to get them, either as before or with NIL $ or with a combination of both. Georgia and Kirby aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Hopefully Bama hits a wall starting this year and we go on a several game winning streak. GO VOLS!

It's gonna take a few years of losing / missing playoffs consistently for them to start falling off. Bama would fall faster than UGA due to the new coach, barring Kirby piling up some really bad losses in a short amount of time.

It won't really change much, imo. But it could allow for non-traditional powerhouse schools to sort of go "all-in" for one season and pull a bunch of portal stars in an effort to get them on the national stage at the end of the year, (i.e. Ole Miss).

I’ve been thinking for a while, Since Saban’s retirement, that Bama’s dynasty is officially over; had it not already been. If Smart at Georgia doesn’t win it all this year, I think they tread down; may tread down regardless due to potential player playing time elsewhere plus potential money. CFB is becoming more like the NFL, will there be any long term dynasties, such as what Bama had? I know Brady and the Pats had their long standing run but, can that be in college with players only playing for four years?

I see Bama going back to the Perkins/Curry eras and another revolving door. With NIL and easy transfer rules, to me, it seems that many CFB teams could have one offs and win the NC. However, do you guys think the expanded playoffs will work more for the traditional blue bloods of CFB. Do you guys think the traditional power houses will always get the premier players, regardless?
no for our bama-gas
but we will see at least a couple of new faces vying for natty

Last edited:
I know many said and hoped it would but sadly no. The college football powerhouses will not change very much.

My original thought was yes the portal would lead to more parity but the NIL changes things a bit. But I still think it will help level out some because now you can't stockpile 5*'s like Bama and others were doing because after a yr or 2 of sitting the bench you can transfer with no sitting out penalty as many times as you want to. So I'm hoping this will lead to a bigger spread of 4 and 5*s and we can move on from the same 4-5 dominate teams every yr.

And most of the SEC, Big 10 schools can pay the NIL $ so you can't keep with $ either.

The collective pays a player to play for a specific school hence, pay for play.
That ignores the fact that the schools, for whom the athletes play don't pay attention a cent. Ergo, it isn't pay for play.

The athletes are currently not either employees of the schools.

It a

Absolutely us not pay for play by any legal or rational definition. Stop denying the facts.
In the past the NCAA forbid Boosters from paying players as that was considered pay for play.

Now the NIL collectives collect money from Boosters and pay the players under the guise of NIL. Spyre isn't paying anyone to play for Bama, UGA or anyone else. Spyre is only paying players to play for the Vols. Spyre isn't paying players based on their marketability, they pay based on athletic ability.

The schools being involved in the money exchange is irrelevant, this is a pay for play scheme.

In the past the NCAA forbid Boosters from paying players as that was considered pay for play.

Now the NIL collectives collect money from Boosters and pay the players under the guise of NIL. Spyre isn't paying anyone to play for Bama, UGA or anyone else. Spyre is only paying players to play for the Vols. Spyre isn't paying players based on their marketability, they pay based on athletic ability.

The schools being involved in the money exchange is irrelevant, this is a pay for play scheme.
The NCAA rules were illegal. What they considered is meaningless.

Reactions: KHVol

You missed the thousands of endorse wants that NIL collectives get from corporate sponsors for their athletes' endorsement if products and services. You missed the tons of endorsed merch that those sponsors sell to get their investments back.

And again, zero athletes play for the people that find their NIL. Legally, that's not pay for play.

As an example, the Manning kid at Texas gets tons of NIL money, and he basically sits in the bench. I'll wait for you to explain how a guy that doesn't play gets "pay for play". Do I need to increase my popcorn budget?

You missed the thousands of endorse wants that NIL collectives get from corporate sponsors for their athletes' endorsement if products and services. You missed the tons of endorsed merch that those sponsors sell to get their investments back.

And again, zero athletes play for the people that find their NIL. Legally, that's not pay for play.

As an example, the Manning kid at Texas gets tons of NIL money, and he basically sits in the bench. I'll wait for you to explain how a guy that doesn't play gets "pay for play". Do I need to increase my popcorn budget?
Manning getting payed by the TX collective means he's not playing for anyone else. Manning may have some NIL market value because of his name but I haven't seen him in any TV commercials so, is it really worth what they're paying him?

Can you explain why players are getting payed based upon position and athletic ability or star rating rather than their NIL market value?

Also, please enlighten us with your definition of pay for play.

VN Store

Back