Does anyone remember Leonard's losers?

And Georgia were the"redclayhounds".Loved it on Saturday Mir ings with a hangover listening to Leonard 2nd having the hair of therefore gametime.Also,there was the "Peek-sized football schedules every year printed by Herschel Peek's dad and Herschel.Herschel also owned and ran the Yardarm tavern on Forest ave.Cold beer and constant foosball games.Then on to Brother Jack's.Pig burgers not sauce on white bread.You knew you had been there when you looked under your fingernails on Sat.morning.

Last edited:
Yep, it was great.

Picked up the printed version every week. Would often listen on the radio in the car with my Dad. Good memories.

Loved listening to Leonard and like you it was mostly in the car with my dad going back and forth to football practice. Also loved Hold that Line which gave scores and always included Slippery Rock.

Loved Leonard’s losers ! My grandfather who is 89 went to his first game in 1945. Bought his first season Tickets for he and my grandmother in 1964(Q 34 seats 19&20). I still own them . Anyway when I was a teenager in the mid 90’s my grandmother quit going to the games so I started going to every game with him in her place. One of those old school types who would leave @ 3 am if it was a noon kickoff (we lived right outside of Franklin and would take 96 to 70 / visit family in Sparta , Cookeville & Crossville and get on 40 @ Crossville😂. I didn’t like it at the time because we would end up with HOURS to kill before everyone arrived at the tailgate in G5. Now I look back very fondly on those Saturdays , he quit going over 15 years ago now and my grandmother has passed on but I wouldn’t trade those memories for anything . Anyway .... I know this is a long post but the routine was that after we “beat all that traffic “ we would sit in the car reading the Tennessean/ then the KNS and .... listen to every second of Leonard’s Losers ! Then go see “the guy in the green jacket “ in front of the bookstore where my grandfather would sell the remaining 20 or so tickets that he had .Good times !!!

Right up there with stopping at Peggy Ann's in Rockwood after coming down the mountain en route from Middle Tennessee to Knoxville for games before I-40 was open through there. Everybody coming from Middle and West Tennessee funneled down through there.

Also remember "Hold That Line."

And waiting on the Strip for the first edition of the News Sentinel, with all the photos, interesting game notes, stats and the "Dyergram" (I think it was called that, after the fellow who created it), which was a graphical representation showing every play of the game. Before the interweb and its information overload, the Sunday News Sentinel wrapped up everything you needed and wanted to know about the game in one place. Now, of course, you're lucky to get the score in the Sunday paper, if you get that.

Good times indeed!
I love it. God help me I do love it so.

Last edited:
Right up there with stopping at Peggy Ann's in Rockwood after coming down the mountain en route from Middle Tennessee to Knoxville for games before I-40 was open through there. Everybody coming from Middle and West Tennessee funneled down through there.

yes sir... A5804020-65EB-49DE-B48D-0FF9FF04A827.jpeg

Good entertainment for me. I liked it.
Hey!! Totally unrelated to this post and we can discuss out of this thread to not clog things
Up but just noticed your screen name & was wondering if you have knowledge of or Parts for firebirds ?? Recently bought a ‘96 with the LT1 and I was wondering a few things about a few issues I have with it .

Oh yeah. Back then we couldn't wait to read the publication or hear him on the radio because as fans we were starved for any news about the Vols. A very unique voice and a cheesy little ditty to go along with "Leonard's Loser....Arkansas"!!!!

Just wondering if anyone else remembered this bit on the radio. Always enjoyed hearing it. Times seemed to be much simpler then.
Loved the way he had a way with words.

Get me outa here Percy!!

Go Vols!

Loved him. Back in the 80s I listened to a lot of games on radio while working on the Farm in Middle Tennessee.

He seemed to like predicating Georgia and Auburn to win too much though!

Used to listen to it and read the publication when I was little. Unfortunately a lot of times we were picked. I survived the 70s.

Reactions: Steelcurtain

And waiting on the Strip for the first edition of the News Sentinel, with all the photos, interesting game notes, stats and the "Dyergram" (I think it was called that, after the fellow who created it), which was a graphical representation showing every play of the game. Before the interweb and its information overload, the Sunday News Sentinel wrapped up everything you needed and wanted to know about the game in one place. Now, of course, you're lucky to get the score in the Sunday paper, if you get that.

Good times indeed!
I love it. God help me I do love it so.

I remember "Hold the Line", me and my father would listen to it on the way home after the game. Also remember Peggy Ann's, we would drive up there on Sunday's after church maybe twice a year. Wow getting old, haha. GBO!!!

Yes I remember in early 90’s while riding to game with my dad. I remember I use to get pissed if he said we was losing but that was very few times in the 90’s.

Reactions: Steelcurtain

VN Store

Back