Does anyone remember 81/82 Vols

I'm new to the volnation and I wanted to take some time to reminisce about my years on the hill. My first year at UT, I had the opportunity to work as a waiter at Gibbs Hall atheletic dorm cafeteria i.e. 'training tabe'. I knew people like Reggie White, Mike 'STOP' Cofer, Terry McDaniel, Willie Gault, Bill Bates, Carl Zander. All these guys eventually were pro football players. Also I got to know the BBall players. I am from East Tenn near Johnson City and I grew playing basketball against Gary Carter. He was on the team along with Howard Wood 'Woody', Dale Ellis, Ed Littleton, Michael Brooks, and yes Kevin Nash. That team with a three point line would have won a national championship without a doubt. Abot me; My moniker is Tumbleweed. The person responsible for giving me that name was Mike Terry. I wasn't enrolled the next year when he made the interception in the endzone to give Johnny Majors his only win over bama and the Bear. I have big brownish blond curly hair and Mike Terry was injured and we did the trays of food for the hurt players and he always called me Tumbleweed. Let he from you all about that basketball team of course other subjects about the 'Big Orange'.

Go Vols

I remember all those guys quite well...I even played tennis against Dale Ellis a few times...He beat me...Tennis is not my game lol...but I knew almost all those guys...I personally knew Dan Federmans girl friend...She was my girl friends best friend...Kevin Nash taught me how to shoot a basketball when I was younger...My old roommate used to work with Ed Littleton...Nice guy...Michael Brooks I did not know personally but damn that boy could shoot from beyond the arch...Ahh good times back then...Oh and by the way, Majors beat Alabama 4 straight times after that first victory in 1982...I was there at that game and believe I developed a irregular heart beat because of it haha!...Great memories from those days.

Your right. It was his first victory. I was there for the second half. I had came back to ETSU mainly because of economics after the fiasco at Clement Hall with the girl, and couple of ole country boys from down in Greene County and I loaded up the jacked up Camaro and decided to try the spring and fall ticket. That is where you spring up fence and fall down on the otherside and hope you weren't caught. We didn't get that far. We started at the last lap and by the time we staggered in free for the second half with our bottle of JD we were toast. This was before the endzone had been completed and you could still see through a little at ground level and I think either Willie Gault or Anthony Hancock caught a long pass for a TD right before the half. There was a lot of noise on some kinda on long pass play. I Think Steve Alatore was QB. When we got in and were standing up around the concorse watching the second half, I dropped JD and tried to catch him but he cut my arm. I was mad at JD about that!!

Alan Cockrell was the quarterback for UT's 35-28 upset of No. 2 Alabama in 1982. He threw three interceptions in the first half but we were still within 21-13. In the second half, we just kicked their tails.

Refresh button time. I remember Alan he hurt his knee and I'm hoping it was the Colorado St. game. Either that was his breakout game or he injured his knee in the game and was out for the year. I'm sure I toted his tray through the food line. He had one of those metal contraptions they called a brace back then. Mike Terry just hobbled and he and Reggie White were always asking the lord for forgiveness. I would look up at the door and back there in line somewhere, I would here 'Praise the lord'. Good ole Reggie White, great person and personality. Good Call though. Like I said earlier those were years ago and a lot of water under the bridge since then. Looks like big orange is getting ready to roll. This is tournament number 1 and the next one is for all the marbles. I may if fact suspect that Bruce Pearl is a mastermind and maybe even be a master of deception because he knows his team better than anyone. Go Brian Williams. 'Rocky top you will always be home sweet home to me.':rock:

I looked at the game in my mind this morning with a cup of my favorite drink coffee. :wacko: I have come to the conclusion this basketball team has the chance to really go places this year. Of course you have to look at the competition. The difference between this team and the 81-82 team is team chemistry. That team knew what it was doing. This team looks like it is developing that concept. It's just a matter I guess, whether they can find a way to do what they did last nigarht against a 1st round opponent in the NCAA's that will pack a zone in the middle and stiffle the inside game that can shoot the three. One of those good floor teams like Butler etc. If big orange can keep it above the rim and crash the boards, I think they can overcome this kind of team. I think we can run with any team in the country right now as far as Carolinas, Louisvilles etc. The Blue Devils and UConn Huskies scares me. Nobody else. Give Brian Williams a gold star for his defense and rebounding. Also, J.P. Prince the same for an excellent floor game. Looking forward to see if we can keep it going against Bammer. Coffee finally kicking in. What a day it's going to be!!:matrix:

For all of 'you all' that remember the 81-82 season, there was some anticipation from us the fans at the time. It started with and I can't remember what year, but it was either the 81-82 season or the year before when the vols laid a thumping on Duke in the Sugar Bowl Classic Bball tournament as part of the Sugar Bowl football game. I believe they won that tournament. Then during the old tournament that was the 'Vol Classic' the Big Orange had to battle a team from up around Washington D.C. namely American University in the first day. American had three forwards that were about 6'7 and could hit round around the foul line area. They hardly missed a shot. Gary Carter one that game with his infamous steal of inbounds pass at half court and hit the shot from there. It was good to be a vol then. The other teams in that tournament were California and Purdue. We ended up playing Purdue. Purdue was a top ten team that year and the had a monster in the inside named Joe Barry Carrol. WE SHOT LIGHTS OUT IN THAT GAME AND WE WON GOING AWAY!!! Dale Ellis started making a name for himself in that game with his silky smooth inside moves around the basket and he frustrated their big guy Carroll the whole game by being able to score around the basket all night. Michael Brooks and Gary Carter were bombing away from long range the whole game. No shot clock or three then. GO VOLS. Forget about me posting a picture fellas, I am too damn dumb to figure it out.

Last edited:
For all of 'you all' that remember the 81-82 season, there was some anticipation from us the fans at the time. It started with and I can't remember what year, but it was either the 81-82 season or the year before when the vols laid a thumping on Duke in the Sugar Bowl Classic Bball tournament as part of the Sugar Bowl football game. I believe they won that tournament. Then during the old tournament that was the 'Vol Classic' the Big Orange had to battle a team from up around Washington D.C. namely American University in the first day. American had three forwards that were about 6'7 and could hit round around the foul line area. They hardly missed a shot. Gary Carter one that game with his infamous steal of inbounds pass at half court and hit the shot from there. It was good to be a vol then. The other teams in that tournament were California and Purdue. We ended up playing Purdue. Purdue was a top ten team that year and the had a monster in the inside named Joe Barry Carrol. WE SHOT LIGHTS OUT IN THAT GAME AND WE WON GOING AWAY!!! Dale Ellis started making a name for himself in that game with his silky smooth inside moves around the basket and he frustrated their big guy Carroll the whole game by being able to score around the basket all night. Michael Brooks and Gary Carter were bombing away from long range the whole game. No shot clock or three then. GO VOLS. Forget about me posting a picture fellas, I am too damn dumb to figure it out.

UT beat Duke in 80-81 in New Orleans 90-69...Coach K's 1st year there....UT lost to Purdue in the 1st game of the season in 81-82, 82-68 @ Purdue...UT did beat American in the 1st round of the old Vol Classic on that halfcourt shot prayer by Gary Carter but they didn't beat Purdue for the trophy...They beat California 80-48....80-81 was the year they played Virginia and Ralph Sampson in the 2nd round of the NCAA's 62-48....They got the great fortune of playing them again in the second round in 81-82 and lost 54-51...81-82 was the year the Vols started out 14-3 overall and 9-0 in the SEC.....They then went on a three game losing streak to go 14-6 (9-3)..They then went on a four game win streak to go 18-6 (12-3)..After that they lost 4 out their final 6 games....

Like I say, it has been many years since those days. But, are you sure you don't have the score reversed. I watched Tenn play Purdue in Stokely Athletic Center. I just spoke with my little brother who was there with me and guess what all he remembers is the droning Bill Garnett who must have scored a ton in the friday first round matchups of the tourney(Vol Classic). It was played during Dec. Maybe it's time to take sthe hard drive in the brain for a checkup, but I'm sure that score was Tenn 82 Purdue 68 in the Vol Classic. Need to go find info. Thanx.

For all those who know I couldn't figure out the avatar. I did as you can see. This picture is Rhododendron Calendulaceum and it is native to Tennessee. It's common name is the 'Flame'. It is big orange in color. Go vols.

VN Store

Back