Does anyone remember 81/82 Vols

Tumbleweedvol

I'm new to the volnation and I wanted to take some time to reminisce about my years on the hill. My first year at UT, I had the opportunity to work as a waiter at Gibbs Hall atheletic dorm cafeteria i.e. 'training tabe'. I knew people like Reggie White, Mike 'STOP' Cofer, Terry McDaniel, Willie Gault, Bill Bates, Carl Zander. All these guys eventually were pro football players. Also I got to know the BBall players. I am from East Tenn near Johnson City and I grew playing basketball against Gary Carter. He was on the team along with Howard Wood 'Woody', Dale Ellis, Ed Littleton, Michael Brooks, and yes Kevin Nash. That team with a three point line would have won a national championship without a doubt. Abot me; My moniker is Tumbleweed. The person responsible for giving me that name was Mike Terry. I wasn't enrolled the next year when he made the interception in the endzone to give Johnny Majors his only win over bama and the Bear. I have big brownish blond curly hair and Mike Terry was injured and we did the trays of food for the hurt players and he always called me Tumbleweed. Let he from you all about that basketball team of course other subjects about the 'Big Orange'.

Go Vols

I think Michael Brooks averaged around 16 pts a game without a 3 pt line his senio yr. that would have easily been 24 with a 3 pt line.

The team I remember had Ellis, Federman, Beamon. I think they were a little bit after.

Last edited:
You know oklavol, I will be honest with you, I'm 49 and I can't remember like it was yesterday. I know the nucleus of the team was Brooks, Carter, Ellis, Wood and Nash along with Federman and yes I think I remember Tyronne Beamon there at the time. Oh yeah, Ed Littleton eventually took over the point on that team. I know this because I had class with Ed and Gary Carter. If you know anything about a cryp class called Economic Geography taught by 'Wild Bill Cherry'. He was a hoot. We all failed it because we to busy enjoying ourselves on the strip instead of doing our school work. The reason that team didn't do so well in the NCAA's is because Gary and Ed dropped out of school at the end of Fall Quarter and I got kicked out of my dorm for bringing a girl to my room at Clement Hall during nonvisitation. I decided to redirect to ETSU.:naughty:

I think Michael Brooks averaged around 16 pts a game without a 3 pt line his senio yr. that would have easily been 24 with a 3 pt line.

The team I remember had Ellis, Federman, Beamon. I think they were a little bit after.

He was a great shooter (so was Greg Bell). However to say he would go from 16 ppg to 24 is a stretch. This assumes that all of his 16 points were from 19.9 feet out (8X2=16) and shoots the same number of shots.

Michael Brooks did nothing but bury long range jumbers. He and Gary Carter both were long range bombers. Michael Brooks was also one of the silkiest ballhandlers in UT history and he was from 'Memphis'.:clapping:

You know oklavol, I will be honest with you, I'm 49 and I can't remember like it was yesterday. I know the nucleus of the team was Brooks, Carter, Ellis, Wood and Nash along with Federman and yes I think I remember Tyronne Beamon there at the time. Oh yeah, Ed Littleton eventually took over the point on that team. I know this because I had class with Ed and Gary Carter. If you know anything about a cryp class called Economic Geography taught by 'Wild Bill Cherry'. He was a hoot. We all failed it because we to busy enjoying ourselves on the strip instead of doing our school work. The reason that team didn't do so well in the NCAA's is because Gary and Ed dropped out of school at the end of Fall Quarter and I got kicked out of my dorm for bringing a girl to my room at Clement Hall during nonvisitation. I decided to redirect to ETSU.:naughty:
I took Bill Cherry's East Tennessee "geography" class in 1977. He used the exact same 25 question final every year.

Nice to see someone around then. I probably should have joined a frat, but my older brother who got me the job at Gibbs Hall was GDI and I followed the family footsteps.
On another note, I was at the UCLA vs UT game at the old Omni in Atlanta during 1976 season when Ernie and Bernie were playing. I couldn't find any roster info or score even on the Bruin websites. I think it was 92 to 87. I know Marques Johnson was on the team and Richard Washington. They were bookend forwards who could score on the baseline. But, I believe it was David Greenwood and left handed point guard that lit it up from around the foul line that did us in. Those two must have hit at least 10 shots in a row. Great game and almost a great comeback except that Michael Jackson wasn't on in that game.:good!:

Last edited:

my first ut bball memory too.

I can't remember. I know he was there when Dale was, but I can't remember, I suspect he was. I really didn't pay much attention to most of the guys. You had swimmers, baseball, Tennis, Golf, Football, Basketball atheletes eating there then. Gibbs Hall was for scholarship atheletes only. They had a grill with a vent to the outside and they would cook ribeyes twice a week. Pork chops 1 1/2 thick. Let me see if I can jiggle some memories. If there are any atheletes from that time on here, they all hated 'Scabs' when they had it. The best meal was the pre-game meals which was oven roasted filet mignon. When I worked the basketball pre-game Gary Carter gave me his and said he didn't eat meat. He at the baked potato and broccli.

Who me? I'm not a vegetarian!! I smoke and drink and even to this day, I'm still trying to form a garage band!!
:birgits_giggle:

I didn't say I needed a toupee. I am just now learning to shave. Heck I think I'm half way there. Then again smoking and drinking. Maybe should have stayed married. I'm bull crapping. I'm just trying to upload a picture and had to say something.

He was a great shooter (so was Greg Bell). However to say he would go from 16 ppg to 24 is a stretch. This assumes that all of his 16 points were from 19.9 feet out (8X2=16) and shoots the same number of shots.

I agree it probably wouldn't go up that much, but he might get a few more shots a game if he was getting 3 per outside shot instead of 2.

I'm a cup of coffee vol this morning. If anybody can tell me what the crap an avatar is? I have windows xp and all I can find that might even work is send a picture as an email which gives me a box with the ability to send to a URL. Help and Thanx
:blink:

I'm a cup of coffee vol this morning. If anybody can tell me what the crap an avatar is? I have windows xp and all I can find that might even work is send a picture as an email which gives me a box with the ability to send to a URL. Help and Thanx
:blink:

Avatar is the picture you see under the members Screenname.If you go to userCP at top of page you can add one.

Welcome to the board

I was at UT 80-84

Nice to see someone around then. I probably should have joined a frat, but my older brother who got me the job at Gibbs Hall was GDI and I followed the family footsteps.
On another note, I was at the UCLA vs UT game at the old Omni in Atlanta during 1976 season when Ernie and Bernie were playing. I couldn't find any roster info or score even on the Bruin websites. I think it was 92 to 87. I know Marques Johnson was on the team and Richard Washington. They were bookend forwards who could score on the baseline. But, I believe it was David Greenwood and left handed point guard that lit it up from around the foul line that did us in. Those two must have hit at least 10 shots in a row. Great game and almost a great comeback except that Michael Jackson wasn't on in that game.:good!:
I was also at that game. You got all the players right. We were down 10 from the beginning and never caught up. Back then a 10 point lead was huge. Closest we got was when Grunfeld got a rebound and just took it the full length of the court on his own and slammed it home to make it 55-51 (I think). It finally gave us something to cheer about. UCLA called timeout and then immediately scored the next 8 points or so and it was all over. We figured we'd be back because I believe the final four was also at the OMNI that year.

I was 16 at the time and my brother who was a freshman at UT then called us and said he had tickets for the whole family so we loaded up and went. It snowed pretty hard the day we left. A couple of my brothers friends from UT were on the trip. One of them was a guy from Manchester, Tn. He could really play all that John Denver music on an acoustic. They ended up in a bar with an open mike. I remember seeing inside the Omni Hotel and the ice skating rink etc. It was a fun trip as far as the game went, I was a little depressed we didn't show better, because I had already seen a few games that year down in Stokely and we looked kind of flat footed in this one. If Michael Jackson could have just hit a decent % it may have been different. Oh well, our one big chance to scalp the big one. Maybe we can get a run started in NCAA's and Hopson really becomes one and done. Go vols.

Last edited:
I found the jungle aleady. Take my advice avoid being dumb enough to post on the Paulus thread. It's a trap to destroy mankind!!!

VN Store

Back