Does anyone else listen to "Locked on Vols?"

SockeyeVol

Blue font might be needed
I used to listen to it almost daily, until about a year ago. Can't recall who the host was. Was it Ward? Really enjoyable.

Just listened to it again. Really painful. Almost as many ads as content, and so many of the ads are these 60-second + talking ads by the host. Just awful.

And speaking of host, I'm not sure I've ever heard a more pompous host than Eric Cain on the radio. "I hope you learned something from this today; if not, well, we'll try again tomorrow."

I had to turn off Monday's show (April 5). He had Ben McKee on; awkward, and they clearly dislike each other. Insults and barbs, and the whole time Cain kept apologizing for covering baseball. Here's a tip to all presenters - if you don't like what you are being forced to present, just apologize once (ONCE!) and then rip the bandaid and don't look back. Otherwise you just remind us you don't even want to be there yourself.

Can someone recommend another podcast? This used to be my go-to.

I used to listen to it almost daily, until about a year ago. Can't recall who the host was. Was it Ward? Really enjoyable.

Just listened to it again. Really painful. Almost as many ads as content, and so many of the ads are these 60-second + talking ads by the host. Just awful.

And speaking of host, I'm not sure I've ever heard a more pompous host than Eric Cain on the radio. "I hope you learned something from this today; if not, well, we'll try again tomorrow."

I had to turn off Monday's show (April 5). He had Ben McKee on; awkward, and they clearly dislike each other. Insults and barbs, and the whole time Cain kept apologizing for covering baseball. Here's a tip to all presenters - if you don't like what you are being forced to present, just apologize once (ONCE!) and then rip the bandaid and don't look back. Otherwise you just remind us you don't even want to be there yourself.

Some of the local media these days sound like overpaid, privelaged jerks

I enjoy the Volquest podcast that comes out twice a week with Brent Hubbs, Austin Price, and Rob Lewis. Reed's Ranch is also a fun podcast to listen to (shoutout Jon Reed and The Seth Hughes).

I listen to the Volquest baseball podcast with Ben McKee and Eric Cain but have similar thoughts as you do. I don't know how Eric Cain is on the Locked On Vols podcast but he's not so bad on the Volquest podcast. For some reason I just can't get on board with Ben McKee. His personality and the way he's seemingly trying to correct or one up Cain all the time is annoying to me as well. Plus, McKee being a Yankees/Steelers fan is a turn off for me.

I used to be a daily listener to the Locked on Vols podcast when Brent Ward was on there too. I switched to the Erik Ainge Show and have found it informative and pretty entertaining.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat

I saw your post and decided to take a listen to the particular episode you mentioned. I didn’t get any of the perceived awkwardness or thick tension between Cain and McKee. It was Tuesday’s episode, not Monday’s, but I didn’t walk away with the same impression. I never listened when Ward hosted, and very rarely listen now, so I’m not sure what differences exist between then and now.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
I'm not saying I could do any better but there's something about Cain's voice I just can't listen to. Like he had a clothes pin on his nose or something.

Like a male version of Heather Harrington, I just found myself tuning him out no matter what he was talking about.

Reactions: VolunteerNut
I was an avid listener when Josh Ward hosted it. When Eric Cain took over i tried...but im a fan of the Vols not a fan of sports journalism. IMO, if youre gonna host a show for fans of an entity...you need to bring passion to the table. Would you listen regularly to a podcast about your faborite musical artist/act when the host openly admits to not being a fan? Probably not.

So while im sure EC is good at the journalism aspect of sports broadcasting...making me want to listen as a fan..not that good..

"I hope you learned something from this today; if not, well, we'll try again tomorrow."

How is that pompous? It's him saying "I will try to do better tomorrow"

I saw your post and decided to take a listen to the particular episode you mentioned. I didn’t get any of the perceived awkwardness or thick tension between Cain and McKee. It was Tuesday’s episode, not Monday’s, but I didn’t walk away with the same impression. I never listened when Ward hosted, and very rarely listen now, so I’m not sure what differences exist between then and now.
I've listened to several episodes with Cain as host... not sure what I don't like about it, maybe it is all the ads, but I really haven't listened to it consistently. There is something about it I don't like.

Reactions: cncchris33
I like Cain. I was worried when Ward left because I liked him so much, but Eric has been great imo.

Basilio is the only one I listen to regularly. I used to like Swain event, and for a time I listened to Ainge but he wears thin.

I've listened to several episodes with Cain as host... not sure what I don't like about it, maybe it is all the ads, but I really haven't listened to it consistently. There is something about it I don't like.
After giving this some more thought I think I have figured out what it is I dont like.

Compare Cain to Josh Pate... Josh has a much better cadence and pacing. Josh has these slower moments and pauses that allow me to briefly consider what he is saying and think about my own opinion... it is like we are having a 1 on 1 conversation. I like that even though I know his comments are for a wide audience, I could see it being a conversation with just the 2 of us.

Cain, it almost feels like he is stumbling over himself to word vomit out his bulleted talking points, then word vomit out 6 ads in a row (ok so that was a slight exaggeration). It's annoying.

Pate feels like a conversation... Cain feels like a lecture, and who wants to be lectured?

Liked Josh, I'm okay with Cain. Just an FYI, if you don't like the ads, I've noticed that they're in 15 second increments typically. So 30sec + 30 secs, twice in each episode...which is pretty standard for "for profit" pods. Just hit skip 2-4x, sometimes 6-8x if they're 60sec ads. Pretty easy to skip through them and get to the next segment.

I view LOV as a "summary" type podcast. He summarizes what happened the day before and then occasionally has pretty good interviews.

I don't have a job where I can leave the radio on constantly and I'm able to get through an ep in less than 30mins. Simple and informative. I'll take it.

Cain is young. Ergo the brashness. Some people like that, I dont care for it.

I prefer the old school Mike Hammond/Ed Brantley/Bobby Denton method of just deliver the content, and cut to commercial break. Dudes were smoothe.

I can see your point. Cain can be pompous at times.

I used to listen to it everyday, now it’s just around football season. The 24/7 podcast with Ryan Callahan is pretty good also.

After giving this some more thought I think I have figured out what it is I dont like.

Compare Cain to Josh Pate... Josh has a much better cadence and pacing. Josh has these slower moments and pauses that allow me to briefly consider what he is saying and think about my own opinion... it is like we are having a 1 on 1 conversation. I like that even though I know his comments are for a wide audience, I could see it being a conversation with just the 2 of us.

Cain, it almost feels like he is stumbling over himself to word vomit out his bulleted talking points, then word vomit out 6 ads in a row (ok so that was a slight exaggeration). It's annoying.

Pate feels like a conversation... Cain feels like a lecture, and who wants to be lectured?
It's not fair to compare anyone to Josh Pate... that dude is incredible at what he does.

I get annoyed by Cain’s constant mispronunciation of words, and he flubs up nearly every ad read. It’s a wonder these companies continue to pay for the ad space when he says the wrong name for the company half the time lol. You’d think he’d edit the spots into the show (and ensure they were correct before doing so).

VN Store

Back