Dobbs vs Hooker

I've seen a lot of QBs myself but I don't know I could say Hooker is playing as well as the best Vol QBs. Different eras. It's silly to compare stats. With the Dobbs' stat, you must remember he was playing more games than guys like Bobby Scott, Condredge Holloway, Heath Shuler and Andy Kelly, all of whom I would consider better than Dobbs and Hooker. Never mind Manning, Robinson and Clausen. That being said, I think they are both really good QBs
Great comment. I have seen many Tn qbs as well and believe Robinson and Shuler had the best arms, Holloway was called the artful dodger for a reason, Scott, Clausen and Kelly got the ball into the hands of playmakers, Manning was in a class by himself. All these guys were successful in their style of play. I don’t think Shuler and Robinson could play in this system but Kelly, Dobbs, and Clausen could.

OP mentioned D4H. Funny stuff.

I think D4H is out on a cross country road trip with K-townking.

If those two posters really were separate people, their real names have to be Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunn.

Dobbs was way stronger than he looked and imo, in another league at running and breaking tackles than Hooker. Not saying Hooker doesn't have a couple of good moves but he's a dime a dozen when it comes to QB running. That's not a negative take on Hook, just to relay that I believe Dobbs had a special ability.
Dobbs was also way more durable. Dobbs took some absolute shots at times (App St game comes to mind) and I don't think the dude was ever hurt.

Reactions: dcm3w
OP mentioned D4H. Funny stuff.

I think D4H is out on a cross country road trip with K-townking.

If those two posters really were separate people, their real names have to be Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunn.
Isn't Harry Dunn MI6^'s source in Hong Kong?

What I hope for Hooker is that he gets the same good fortune as Dobbs. Limited playing time, longer career assured and big $$ for existing.

The mark of almost all great quarterbacks is how well do they pass the ball. Hooker is a waaayyy better passer than Dobbs ever was. Passing issues are the primary reason that Dobbs is stuck as a 3rd string NFL QB. Hooker has the potential to be an NFL starter. He is currently projected to be the #8 QB in the draft.
The number 8 QB in the draft according to 1 notoriously inconsistent analyst. None of the others have him that high yet.

And being the #8 QB in the draft usually means a 6th round grade. Dobbs was rated higher than 8th before the draft, but ended up being the 8th QB taken in the 5th round.

Dobbs was an electric runner.. in many ways he would put the team on his back & “will” us to victory with his legs (when plays would break down etc).

Hendon is throwing the ball much better, and has just enough mobility to make it happen once he gets going. He also has that “will to win”..

I think it’s close but I give the edge to Hooker.. that said he’s not a “Vol great” like Dobbs unless he stays another year…

Yes, but.... Josh can recite the value of Pi to over 70 digits.
In all seriousness, it’s no coincidence that the aerospace engineer was one of our best qbs of the century thus far. Hooker seems pretty sharp as well. We’ve had others with skill but seemingly not as much smarts…Bray comes to mind.

Josh won the battle at Bristol, beat Florida, and beat Georgia, between the hedges on a Hail Mary. Maybe if Hooker pulled out that win vs Pitt, and if he could get a win tomorrow, then we could have a conversation. Dobbs has too many significant wins on his ledger. But, Hooker has my attention.

It's not a true apple to apple comparison.

Hooker plays for a brilliant offensive coach who also happened to be highly decorated QB during his playing days. He is getting tutelage from both his designed QB coach and the HC while operating in a system that is QB friendly by scheming WR's WIDE open.

Dobbs played for a clown who literally was in the band and not on the field. He literally had no QB coach until his senior year. The progress he made as a player was due to his own hardworking and him seeking out professional coaching on his own accord during off seasons. In the games the success he had generally came not virtue of the coaching and system he was operating within but rather because he rose above it.

Simply compare the performance and production of QB's under Heupel and Jones during their careers. It's self explanatory.

Dobbs created his own success through intelligence, hard work, and skill without any help from his coach. Hooker has done the same, I take nothing from him, but he has also benefited from tremendous help from his coach instead.

Love Hooker and glad he is a Vol but I'd take Dobbs every time. He'd be a Heisman candidate in this offense.

Definitely.

The coaching angle has to be considered in the comparison between the two along with the talent around both players.

I think both are fine QBs and have their own strengths and weaknesses. At the end of the day, I would probably call it a tie between the two.

Reactions: Birdie
Hooker reminds me of Tyrod Taylor, play style (maybe not quite the rusher) and his chances in the NFL. I could see Hooker being a starter on a bad team or a quality backup for a long time.

I love them both. They both gave everything they had for Tennessee. I personally think Hooker is better but it’s impossible to be sure. Hooker is working with an offensive genius while Dobbs had a coach that might honestly be less football savvy than a few posters on this board…

VN Store

Back