Do You Approve of Chaney Hire?

Do You Approve of Chaney Hire?

• Total voters
Picked option 3. There were better hires that signed other places, Hugh Freeze being the top choice among those.

Freeze has more baggage than - and predating - Ole Miss, which is why he's at Liberty and not a P5 school.

I really didn't care about who they got. So, since that isn't an option, I abstain from voting.

The trained eye would have several problems with the Chaney offense when first here. All of those problems could be summarised as "mental toughness." His offense, in winnable games, could not produce the game winning first down or game winning drive. Maybe part of that was Dooley; maybe part of that was Bray.

He has developed elite QBs and his resume here is near perfect. I think he has demonstrated Championship potential in his travels now. It's potential that has to deliver but it is definitely there.

I'm not sure I like his offense at Tennessee - I very much liked the journey we started with Pruitt of playing more physical, lining up in the I-form, trying to establish a tough identity. I think Pruitt and Chaney can be, dare I say it --- complimentary football.

How about this. Tennessee has been in the gutter for 10 years. Multiple head coaches and tons of turnover.

Our fan base is bipolar. We have the largest most passionate fan base in America. That’s good and bad.

Pruitt will be lucky to get 4 years unless he shows remarkable improvement.

Most of our staff moved up a position when they came here. That is WHY they came here.

We fired a hall of fame coach with no plan to replace him. Now he’s the AD. Who knows how that will steer his tolerance of us not winning.

All that said, UT has all the things needed for success. I think this staff will become successful over 3-5 years.

I’m willing to wait if it results in what Clemson got for waiting.

I’d be happy if we knew we would get 9-10 wins a year every year with a shot at the title every now and then.

Reactions: kbear01
Lmfao so his #4 talent at UGA was #20 in scoring last year and #14 this year. Is that what you call "productive as possible"? Surely you have statistical proof for your declaration. Let's see it.
UGA was #1 in total offense in the SEC, in 2017. #2 in total offense in 2018, despite improving their overall stats. At UT, without a significant running game or great o-line, his offense put up monster numbers. 36 pts per game, and over 500 yds per game. I look at SEC stats, because they come against fairly stout SEC defenses. His offense has managed to perform well against Bama, in the last two installments, eventhough they lost. His approach varies. At UT, he amped up the passing game, to make up for a less than average ground attack. At UGA he was very balanced, as he had plenty of tools. At ARK he had a beast of a ground game, and ran a pro syle, run heavy offense. Then, as his team and QB evolved, he opened it up. His versatility with multiple pro style sets and packages is what I like the most. His offenses aren't always number 1. But, they are always efficient and usually formidable.

Reactions: papatomany
How about this. Tennessee has been in the gutter for 10 years. Multiple head coaches and tons of turnover.

Our fan base is bipolar. We have the largest most passionate fan base in America. That’s good and bad.

Pruitt will be lucky to get 4 years unless he shows remarkable improvement.

Most of our staff moved up a position when they came here. That is WHY they came here.

We fired a hall of fame coach with no plan to replace him. Now he’s the AD. Who knows how that will steer his tolerance of us not winning.

All that said, UT has all the things needed for success. I think this staff will become successful over 3-5 years.

I’m willing to wait if it results in what Clemson got for waiting.

I’d be happy if we knew we would get 9-10 wins a year every year with a shot at the title every now and then.
I agree. I believe we will rise slowly. But, it will be more permanent. I can see UT ruining someone's CFP chances the next few seasons.

My only concern with the Yurcich style was adaptation with the players we have and those we recruited.

I didn't dislike Chaney the first time but what I really like this go round is the adaptation.
At one stop, he's throwing all over the yard and is "pass happy". Next stop, he's setting school rushing records. Just believe he'll figure out the best way to go with what we have. My opinion anyway.
Chaney can build on what we have. Recruit for what he wants, and adjust accordingly. Plus, a wide open Big 12 style offense would not compliment our defense, that is not as deep or strong as it needs to be, yet. Do we have the athletes to run that wide open style of offense? I am not convinced. Chaney works for me, for now.

Reactions: Behr and chargervol
This was a severely tilted poll from someone who apparently doesn't like the Chaney hire. You have several Yes categories that are for people who don't like the hire. Obviously someone who sets up political polling.
Did you read option 4? I think you've got it backwards.

Did you read option 4? I think you've got it backwards.
If you are giving an option that is both a negative and positive result, it is not a valid poll. If you choose option 2 or 3, you are starting you do not approve of the hire. Saying you approve of the hire, but you want someone else is not an approval. They options would have been better to explain why one didn't approve of the hire.

If you are giving an option that is both a negative and positive result, it is not a valid poll. If you choose option 2 or 3, you are starting you do not approve of the hire. Saying you approve of the hire, but you want someone else is not an approval. They options would have been better to explain why one didn't approve of the hire.
You didn't say you thought the poll isn't valid, you said it was clearly made by someone who doesn't like the hire. #4 says, "No, but then again, I'm a fool." It's the only "no" option. That would suggest someone who does like the hire. As for the "yes" answers: of course you could approve of the hire but think there were other better options. Almost no one thinks there was only one possible good choice for the job. Before the hire, the question "Who would you approve of as offensive coordinator?" would produce a list, not just a single guy.

lol 87% saying he was your #1 from the start? Do people really think he's the best OC out there? That's ridiculous. Literally every other fan board thinks good to average, but Pittman is the all-star.

He runs an antiquated system, but you all will remember that just like people complained when he was here the first time.

It's like only Vol fans can see his greatness. If he had left after 2011 you all would think hes trash, but that 1 good year has you all full of fuzzies as if that's his norm.
An antiquated system? Yea, you’re right. Most OC’s can’t come close to the adaptability Chaney has. They can’t plug an offense to fit the players. He’s special in that regard

It's always going to cause some concern when you bring someone back who was associated with a losing regime at your program. The recruiting angle has been discussed, although I hope Weinke and Friend pick up any slack. Chaney's got 3 years guaranteed for big money and he'll probably retire after this job whether it's three years from now or 10, so I don't know that anyone is going to be able to motivate him beyond whatever personal motivations he places on himself. That said, I think Chaney is capable of getting the most out of what we have right now. Also, Chaney is respected enough that nobody can really state that this was a panic hire and I don't see how hiring him can be used against us negatively on the recruiting trail.

Reactions: vegasvolfan

VN Store

Back