Do you anticipate any trouble off the field this year?

Do you anticipate any trouble off the field this year?

shake-head.gif

Reactions: ftsandersvol
Respectfully, I don’t know why it just seems every year something comes up. I hope coach has everything in order. I’d almost guess over 50% of the time the old full moon seems to come out at the worst times.
seems like in recent years August has been the "bad news month" for off-field problems - like the " busted for weed" month, weapons violations, thefts etc. Hopefully this won't be the case this season.

This question is where a real positive of the NIL shows itself. Until now, players had no reason to actively protect their brand while in college. Now players have the opportunity to receive great amounts of money through NIL, the players must make good decisions a top priority. These young men understand negative press will turn off the NIL spigot. Now, there will always be kids doing some really dumb things. People have made some great points in this thread about that. Just take a look at some players in the NFL, you'll never cure stupid. I just think at this point in history, the NIL is able to teach lessons that coaching staffs have struggled with.

Should be none since they have more to lose than before, NIL money. No reason to sell or deal in the drug trade, carry weapons, they have move around money and new cars. Things have changed dramatically.
😂 🤣 😂 I’m sorry but do you legit think there’s going to be less trouble when these 18-22 year olds have money to throw around? When has the decisions of a kid ever been grounded in logic or reason?

Reactions: ksgovols
😂 🤣 😂 I’m sorry but do you legit think there’s going to be less trouble when these 18-22 year olds have money to throw around? When has the decisions of a kid ever been grounded in logic or reason?

Thats a ridiculous statement. Even small children weigh risk versus reward when making decisions. When a kid is suddenly able to support his family or feels he has made it financially his risk just went thru the roof. Of course some fool will get drunk and do something stupid but things just got real for most of these kids. I don't think they will be committing any crimes that previously got them canned.

Thats a ridiculous statement. Even small children weigh risk versus reward when making decisions. When a kid is suddenly able to support his family or feels he has made it financially his risk just went thru the roof. Of course some fool will get drunk and do something stupid but things just got real for most of these kids. I don't think they will be committing any crimes that previously got them canned.
It’s been happening for years it’s just now the payments are in the light of day. Do you seriously think elite players haven’t been paid before? Do you think those players have stopped making dumb decisions bc of that money?

Kids that make good decisions probably keep making good decisions. Idiots though aren’t going to be more concerned bc money is on the table.

A bunch of college athletes running around with pockets full of cash; What could go wrong?

Reactions: ksgovols
I don't think money is the big catalyst you seem to.

I mean, how much does it cost to buy a couple of six packs of beer?

Young adults are going to make questionable decisions. Once in a while, truly awful decisions. And sometimes, those decisions will have consequences.

Really hope the lads are able to keep it down to just some dumb pranks, some safe underage drinking (no cars involved), and some questionable (but entirely consensual) hookups.

One thing's for sure, they're at risk of college-itis whether they're rich or poor.

Go Vols!

Reactions: SAPPER 5
I don't think money is the big catalyst you seem to.

I mean, how much does it cost to buy a couple of six packs of beer?

Young adults are going to make questionable decisions. Once in a while, truly awful decisions. And sometimes, those decisions will have consequences.

Really hope the lads are able to keep it down to just some dumb pranks, some safe underage drinking (no cars involved), and some questionable (but entirely consensual) hookups.

One thing's for sure, they're at risk of college-itis whether they're rich or poor.

Go Vols!
I think we could see more ppl targeting these players though. Average college kid is going to have access to beer, weed, bad decisions anyways but I think there’s definitely more attraction for troublesome elements to be around these kids as well now. We may entirely see less instances but I think the ones we see maybe bigger than in the past.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I think we could see more ppl targeting these players though. Average college kid is going to have access to beer, weed, bad decisions anyways but I think there’s definitely more attraction for troublesome elements to be around these kids as well now. We may entirely see less instances but I think the ones we see maybe bigger than in the past.
Good point, yah. Hadn't thought of the predators going after the lads.

I think this coaching staff, and the seniors have established a good work ethic. This interview with Trevon Flowers is interesting. It's at the end of the interview, but he talks about the young players and how they are working. I've got a timestamp to start this at that point, but watch the whole thing if you have time. He also talks about this culture didn't exist when he was a freshman.

Respectfully, I don’t know why it just seems every year something comes up. I hope coach has everything in order. I’d almost guess over 50% of the time the old full moon seems to come out at the worst times.

shut-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

I think this coaching staff, and the seniors have established a good work ethic. This interview with Trevon Flowers is interesting. It's at the end of the interview, but he talks about the young players and how they are working. I've got a timestamp to start this at that point, but watch the whole thing if you have time. He also talks about this culture didn't exist when you was new.

Oh I definitely think we’ve been missing leadership on the team or at least have stifled it in the past. A fair number of ppl have said that during the Dooley and Butch times some players were not just coddled by the staff but protected from accountability from other players.

Reactions: ptcarter
Oh I definitely think we’ve been missing leadership on the team or at least have stifled it in the past. A fair number of ppl have said that during the Dooley and Butch times some players were not just coddled by the staff but protected from accountability from other players.
It appears we have adults in charge, not used car salesmen. These words from Trevon were refreshing. That's why when the OP asked the question, I had just heard this interview and jumped in there sort of in a smart aleck way... Florida (not us). I honestly think this group polices itself.

Oh my. Why not start a thread asking if we expect any injuries?

I fully expect some college kids will act like college kids and require disciplinary actions.

Oh my. Why not start a thread asking if we expect any injuries?
Or, even after the PA guy giving instructions on stadium concessions says, "Please pay these prices and pay no more", do you think someone will pay more?

(Do they still say that? Maybe I'm dating myself)

“Do you anticipate any trouble off the field this year?”

ugh, no. My drinking is under control.

Go VOLS

Reactions: Freak

LOL. Every program has off the field problems. 80% are never made public until a kid has multiple issues.

Reactions: Vols All Day
It’s been happening for years it’s just now the payments are in the light of day. Do you seriously think elite players haven’t been paid before? Do you think those players have stopped making dumb decisions bc of that money?

Kids that make good decisions probably keep making good decisions. Idiots though aren’t going to be more concerned bc money is on the table.
This will be an interesting experiment. I can see both sides of this argument, but tend to go with the side that says NIL will make players a little more mature. They are essentially starting a business built around their image and this seems like a more responsible way to make a living than getting under the table payments from unnamed boosters.

This will be an interesting experiment. I can see both sides of this argument, but tend to go with the side that says NIL will make players a little more mature. They are essentially starting a business built around their image and this seems like a more responsible way to make a living than getting under the table payments from unnamed boosters.
You may be right but not in my experience. I do hope we are very selective in who we get and pay nil wise. But overall I don’t see less problem, I see bigger problems.

Reactions: VAVol85

VN Store

Back