Do we need to get nervous about recruiting?

If I’m a high school recruit and a offensive player a skill player QB, WR or RB I would love to play in this Heupel offense. Just look at what he has done with our offense which was awful last year to this season a complete transformation.

Calm down.

The entire recruiting landscape has changed with the rules change pertaining to transfers.
NOBODY got hurt worse than UT this season, with all the transfers out.
We've been helped as well with transfers IN, so I guarantee you, this staff has their eyes on some big-time portal possibilities.
Honestly, the way the rules are going to affect things going forward, I feel sorry for the high school recruits.
They're going to get stuck waiting to see if schools can make room for them, they'll have to wait to see how all the transfers shake out, to even know what kind of room for high school kids these teams will have left over.

The entire dynamic of "recruiting" has been flipped on its head, and we need to understand, it ain't just about recruiting high-star high school kids anymore.
Heck, the way things are going, it may be half or less of those kids coming in and leaving in any given year.

I bet CJH understands this better than most.
Gonna be fine.

They need immediate help from the portal more than high schools kids at the moment. Playing time is a great selling point for high school recruits but there’s no time to get them up to speed. I say hit transfer portal and JuCO hard and focus more on high school next year.

Once the NCAA cloud clears, Heupel will recruit well, especially on offense.

This right here. It is hard to get signatures and climb the recruiting ranking with the unknown hanging over our heads. So the launch is being delayed because of this. Since we are starting to hear a possible resolution to this (pending the NCAA weighing in on it), we just are not going to shake up the recruiting world.

So, what need to happen once this cloud blows away? This staff is going to need to bust their humps landing those who I am sure they have already touched base with. No, this is not an ideal situation especially for a new staff. But it is what it is.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I think the "NCAA cloud" went a long way toward clearing with UT's closure of the internal investigation by saying we'll go bowlilng.

No, the NCAA hasn't done their part yet. But everyone knows the NCAA is notoriously slow, and often capricious. Tennessee shutting it down will do a lot to calm the recruiting waters as Heupel and Company get ready to make their big December-January push.

Besides that, here's the real reason not to get nervous about the 2022 signing class: "14." We've only signed 14 so far. Still tons of room to make up ground on those ahead of us in the SEC recruiting rankings. As one example, look at Georgia == 21...they're almost done. Really good class, but the score they have now is pretty close to the score they'll end up with. We're only halfway full. Really misleading comparing not only apples and oranges, but a half-basket of apples against a nearly full bushel of oranges.

If Heupel & Co close strong, we could leapfrog all but the top 3-4 on that list. Don't think we'll touch Georgia or Bama, and not too likely we could catch A&M or LSU. Everyone else, a strong finish can push us past them.

Go Vols!

EDIT and p.s.: If I'm Josh Heupel, here's exactly what I'm saying to recruits and their parents about the NCAA investigation:

(1) we kept the NCAA close while we held our internal investigation, welcomed them in, and gained some real synergy. We're not afraid of what they might do. We don't know what they'll do, but we're pretty confident it won't affect our current or future players.

(2) because we kept the NCAA investigators close, we have a reasonable expectation they will finish their work quicker than normal. Everyone knows the NCAA can take years...but in this case, we expect it to all be over within something like six to eight months. And any penalties applied will go into effect immediately. Which means you will be in your freshman season. Truly no impact to you directly, even if the NCAA were to go further than we think they will.

Bottom line, there's no reason at all for incoming players of the 2022 signing class to be wary. It will flow past them in a way that they'll never even feel.

Recruiting will pick up dramatically now, I think.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Wish we would have gotten Nolen, the kid looks like he has a ton of talent, but the truth is my focus remains on TN‘s ability to evaluate and bring in quality transfers, JUCO’s, etc. I firmly believe this will determine how quickly Huepel & Co have a team that can compete for championships. Just think where the current team would be minus transfers. QB, best RB, best OL, two of three best WR’s, several DL that are providing help, starting LB (lost for year); and DB’s that’ve stepped up when needed.
The big unknown about Nolan is, where is his family going to be?? IF they are planning to move to Texas, then his recruitment is over...IF the family is planning to stay here at Powell, then I think we are still in the ballgame...

Nervous? Pfftt... Just get a core HS class of guys you really love. With the remaining scholarships, I think you start filling holes and adding depth with guys who can help you win next year. We've got to keep momentum going so if I'm taking chances with roster spots, I'm leaning toward guys who are ready to play now vs 2-3 years down the road. Specifically, I'm getting linemen and LBs in the portal. I'm also getting a RB who isn't so fragile.

I hate to say it ... but yes.

We're clearly not recruiting on the same level we used to. Don't know why. Are other schools throwing more NIL money at prospects? Is the investigation scaring recruitse away? Did the late start doom us this year?

I don't know the answer.

All I know is, Heupel is doing a great job on the field, but unless he can recruit top talent as well, we're not ever going to compete with the top of the SEC.

Under this staff, I’ll take 3* that they believe are vastly underrated. CJH & Co have shown in a mere nine games they can coach them up. The wins will come and then so will the 4 and 5 stars.

Do we need to get nervous about recruiting?

2022 Team Rankings Southeastern

We are currently behind every team in the SEC East except Florida (funny) and Vandy.
No, there’s no need to get nervous about recruiting. Because there’s nothing you can do about it. And there’s no reason to worry about things I cannot control.

Reactions: peaygolf
It is still a way out from signing day. The product CH is putting on the field will help a lot with recruiting.

I think we have reason to be a bit disappointed and nervous at this point no doubt. I will say however that recruiting class rankings can at times be way overrated. Clemson and lsu are both loaded with former 4 and 5 star players and those are both really bad programs right now.
Yesterday Tillman was the best offensive player outside of our quarterback. Has anybody checked his profile? He was about to 250th ranked wide receiver. Wasn’t ranked in the top 1500 of high school players overall. College football and the NFL is absolutely littered with guys like that. If I had to choose between a staff great at recruiting or a staff great at coaching…I’d choose coaching every time. So it is what it is. Both of our last 2 coaches were really good recruiters and terrible coaches. 9F4D2AF0-83CF-4859-A624-69621A070BBA.png

I hate to say it ... but yes.

We're clearly not recruiting on the same level we used to. Don't know why. Are other schools throwing more NIL money at prospects? Is the investigation scaring recruitse away? Did the late start doom us this year?

I don't know the answer.

All I know is, Heupel is doing a great job on the field, but unless he can recruit top talent as well, we're not ever going to compete with the top of the SEC.

Easy there ghost. People here don’t like facts, only excuses!

I am nervous. Our last HC came from a program where going after big recruits was the norm. Huep and our AD comes from a school where getting an occasional 4 star is considered killing it. Does he even know who he should be going after?

Are recruits nervous about what the NCAA will do? Are the coaches?

My hope is we are going to dive into the transfer portal because we need college ready bodies like yesterday

I just hope we close strong. And to be fair, CJH has shown he can coach up the ones he gets. So that's a little bit comforting.

Well he did play and coach at a pretty decent school, so I think he knows what is needed. Maybe we should give him more than a few months, and he doesn’t have the luxury of the McDonald’s bags.

After the KY game, we will get the offensive stars we want.

Need some defensive studs, tho

Reactions: AllVols
I am nervous. Our last HC came from a program where going after big recruits was the norm. Huep and our AD comes from a school where getting an occasional 4 star is considered killing it. Does he even know who he should be going after?

Are recruits nervous about what the NCAA will do? Are the coaches?

My hope is we are going to dive into the transfer portal because we need college ready bodies like yesterday

I just hope we close strong. And to be fair, CJH has shown he can coach up the ones he gets. So that's a little bit comforting.
Heupel has played big time football and been around it plenty to know who he should go after.

This staff is going to have to work harder to get defensive players who want to be out there for 100 snaps every week.

VN Store

Back