Do we need a new recruiting narrative if we hire Freeze?

The spill on the recruiting trail has been, "Hey, we can offer you early playing time."
That will change to, "Early playing time and we can win!"

(maybe i should've used a blue-ish hue in the font)

The divorce rate in this country is around 50%. Forty percent of children born each year are born out of wedlock and the percentage is growing.

Look what’s on television, the movies, etc.

In short, I don’t think very many give a crap about that sort of thing. Most parents just want a coach that can get the most out of the kid and give him the best shot at getting paid.

It used to be: "We hired coaches that are good family examples for your sons."

What happens to the good example recruiting narrative now?

People who make mistakes can often be the best teachers.

Additionally, personally, I have no problem with Freeze's actions that took place between two consenting adults.

Reactions: bigdaddyh
Are you a recruit? Are you a parent of a recruit?

There is no narrative to have at all. It is absolutely stupid that people worry about what will happen with "recruiting narratives."

Parents and grandparents and aunts/uncles of recruits will get to meet Hugh Freeze face to face and can form their own opinions on Freeze. I think people are smart enough to do that.

To say there will be a narrative that will hurt us out on the road is insane. Freeze will be out on those same roads and will get his own chance to have a heart to heart with the recruits and their families.

I for the life of me can't understand why Freeze being hired would be a negative "narrative" for us.

I agree with most of what is not in bold.

I can't even begin to understand how you feel the way you do about the bold. Actually it blows my mind.

I agree with most of what is not in bold.

I can't even begin to understand how you feel the way you do about the bold. Actually it blows my mind.

It is simple. The only people that a "recruiting narrative" impact are coaches and a recruit's family. Since there will be a direct, in home face to face between both parties, that "narrative" means absolutely zilch. Recruits and their families may care about the hot take triggers from the media, but those in home face to face meetings will be more meaningful.

Is anyone really surprised that bad narratives may happen from media? Who cares. Fact is, recruits and families will meet the guy and make a choice. Boosters will give money if we start winning...

I don't get the confusion, AIGHT?!

"Our OC F'd up so you don't have to worry about him leaving for a head coaching gig"

It is simple. The only people that a "recruiting narrative" impact are coaches and a recruit's family. Since there will be a direct, in home face to face between both parties, that "narrative" means absolutely zilch. Recruits and their families may care about the hot take triggers from the media, but those in home face to face meetings will be more meaningful.

Is anyone really surprised that bad narratives may happen from media? Who cares. Fact is, recruits and families will meet the guy and make a choice. Boosters will give money if we start winning...

I don't get the confusion, AIGHT?!

I'm just not sure you understand the definitions of Stupid and insane. I get you may disagree and/or don't see an issue, but stupid and insane?

Morality is important. Judging others is reserved for higher powers.
There is also a wide gap between womanizing and child molestation. I can recognize that difference without being judgmental.
If Freeze is hired, I believe that the current staff will have done due diligence and determined that another chance is deserved and he is worthy of that chance. If they decide otherwise, I can live with that decision, too.

THIS. It is for God to judge and forgive Freeze for any moral failings. For his mistakes of leadership, the NCAA and the MS Admin judged him and he paid the price of his failures. Now, those same powers have deemed him acceptable to coach again. Who here has either moral standing or temporal authority to say otherwise?

Anyone seen Shawshank Redemption? There's a storyline about .... you end up in prison for doing bad things. Some deserve to be there, others don't. I believe some folks deserve a second chance to live life. Nobody believed him. I am glad that ... folks gave me 2nd opportunities.

That's code for...we know you're skeptical of us. If freeze is on board...I do t know that we'll need to sell much at all. He has an absolutely stellar record as an offensive coach. He's been able to score a lot of points and get guys to the NFL. Andets be honest, that's what all these kids/parents value the most. The whole were a family/good education is great and all. But every has heard stories about sabans pitch. He says nothing about any of that. He goes in there with data about all the kids he gets to the NFL and how much money they make. And it works like a charm

As a parent, if I had a kid being recruited; I'd be looking at coaches that can win and advance his chances for the big time. My kid doesn't need good family examples this late in the game, I did My Job!

Reactions: zydane47
I agree with others about not judging him. He seems sorry for what he did, and has publicly asked for forgiveness, so I don't see a need to change the narrative. I think the narrative would have to be changed if he showed no remorse and was continuing with the same behavior.

I'm sorry to start another Freeze thread, but felt this needed to be done on its own.

First, let me say, I don't care who Tennessee hires. Go get whoever and we'll see you in September.

Now that I got that out of the way.....

This "I want a good Christian gentleman to lead our boys" mentality is just not the way of the world folks.

The main reason is that it's a highly competitive field of driven alpha males. This isn't the boy scouts. There are dudes everywhere past and present, including Tennessee's past and probably their present who behaved in manners that their mothers and fathers did not envision they would behave on the day they were born.

I'm not going to list all of the sinners in the coaching profession past and present, but they are numerous. And most all of them were known at the time they were coaching.

And don't think it's just you fans who put winning above all else. You don't see kids publicly refusing to play at Ohio State while Urban is the coach. You didn't see people refuse to attend Penn State after what that school did. I am amazed every year that black athletes are willing to attend the University of Mississippi with fans waving the Confederate flag all the time.

So, I am not excusing Freeze or trying to get him a medal. I'm just saying he's not alone. His sins have just been revealed to the public. And I would bet heavily, that there is (on average) one coach on every staff who has stepped out on his wife or broken NCAA rules. And that's probably a conservative estimate.

Hand wringing over Freeze and his "morals" is something you all need not do.

JMO

I'm sorry to start another Freeze thread, but felt this needed to be done on its own.

First, let me say, I don't care who Tennessee hires. Go get whoever and we'll see you in September.

Now that I got that out of the way.....

This "I want a good Christian gentleman to lead our boys" mentality is just not the way of the world folks.

The main reason is that it's a highly competitive field of driven alpha males. This isn't the boy scouts. There are dudes everywhere past and present, including Tennessee's past and probably their present who behaved in manners that their mothers and fathers did not envision they would behave on the day they were born.

I'm not going to list all of the sinners in the coaching profession past and present, but they are numerous. And most all of them were known at the time they were coaching.

And don't think it's just you fans who put winning above all else. You don't see kids publicly refusing to play at Ohio State while Urban is the coach. You didn't see people refuse to attend Penn State after what that school did. I am amazed every year that black athletes are willing to attend the University of Mississippi with fans waving the Confederate flag all the time.

So, I am not excusing Freeze or trying to get him a medal. I'm just saying he's not alone. His sins have just been revealed to the public. And I would bet heavily, that there is (on average) one coach on every staff who has stepped out on his wife or broken NCAA rules. And that's probably a conservative estimate.

Hand wringing over Freeze and his "morals" is something you all need not do.

JMO

I didn't believe I would ever agree with a gator, but this is spot on.

If womanizing cost him this job then there are a bunch of hypocrites doing the hiring.

Much like on this forum.

I’d say it was much less the womanizing and more of the he did it while on company time and with a company phone.

I’d dare say he’d still be there had he not used his school issued phone to call for hookers

So come on down from that ivory tower, you’ll be ok with the rest of us down here

Morality is important. Judging others is reserved for higher powers.
There is also a wide gap between womanizing and child molestation. I can recognize that difference without being judgmental.
If Freeze is hired, I believe that the current staff will have done due diligence and determined that another chance is deserved and he is worthy of that chance. If they decide otherwise, I can live with that decision, too.
So dont judge when it benefits you, but judge when it benefits you?

Morality is important, winning is more important. I like what someone said the other day. This has nothing to do with morality, its risk/reward, nothing more.

I’d say it was much less the womanizing and more of the he did it while on company time and with a company phone.

I’d dare say he’d still be there had he not used his school issued phone to call for hookers

So come on down from that ivory tower, you’ll be ok with the rest of us down here

So the narrative that UT would be hypocrites to hire Freeze after the Schiano outcry is now equating company phone abuse with Schoano's alleged crime/sin?

I'm old and it makes it difficult to keep up with the changing talking point.

And you'll not find me in an ivory tower. That would be all those folks claiming some kind of moral high ground to Freeze. Pretending his morals and ethics arent good enough to coach here.

So the narrative that UT would be hypocrites to hire Freeze after the Schiano outcry is now equating company phone abuse with Schoano's alleged crime/sin?

I'm old and it makes it difficult to keep up with the changing talking point.

And you'll not find me in an ivory tower. That would be all those folks claiming some kind of moral high ground to Freeze. Pretending his morals and ethics arent good enough to coach here.

Yeah I’m with ya on that, I misunderstood your post.

Ha ha. The Souf. They sure love them some Jesus and bible until it might interfere with their football/

AMEN

VN Store

Back