Do we have another PG in the pipeline?

Massachusetts has saved us in multiple games. I think he needs to be coached to be even more offensive minded and aggressive.

Let it come to him this year and take what he’s comfortable with (mid range jumper, uncontested 3s, open lanes to the rim). Then develop his offense in the off season. He might be having it a bit easier right now as opposing coaches hadn’t considered him a threat and he’s not been accounted for when double teaming inside or shutting down SV and JJJ on the perimeter.

TN wasn’t too shabby when JP Prince was filling in at PG. I don’t think we have to have multiple true PGs. When you have Kennedy Chandler and ZZ comes available, then yes. No question. But PG by committee, combo guards, and point-forwards are viable alternatives to having a true PG backing up your starting true PG. But I guess it’s something else for the legions of the miserable to rag on CRB about.

TN wasn’t too shabby when JP Prince was filling in at PG. I don’t think we have to have multiple true PGs. When you have Kennedy Chandler and ZZ comes available, then yes. No question. But PG by committee, combo guards, and point-forwards are viable alternatives to having a true PG backing up your starting true PG. But I guess it’s something else for the legions of the miserable to rag on CRB about.

PG by committee is not working too well for us since ZZ got hurt. It doesn’t help Vescovi either having to run point. He needs to be a two guard only. We needed a backup PG on the roster.

Reactions: HalfullVol
PG by committee is not working too well for us since ZZ got hurt. It doesn’t help Vescovi either having to run point. He needs to be a two guard only. We needed a backup PG on the roster.

Vescovi is the combo guard and JJJ is the point forward. They’ve both had injuries this year. Both were bleeding yesterday, so obviously they were being pounded on. Mashack is Plan D and he’s exceeding expectations. Maybe JM is plan E and Key is B or C or D - but he doesn’t have SEC level PG speed (or the size to offset). And BJE not developing fast enough is mostly on BJE.

Also, ZZ was injured so late in the season there wasn’t much time available for wholesale changes. Sometimes **** just happens.

I believe BJE can be a solid PG option in time. Same with Dilione, even if he's more of a combo guard. Plus we'll have ZZ back next year as well.

It's also hard not to note how much better Mashack has gotten at running point. The guy wouldn't even look at the basket last year, now he was arguably our best player last game.

Reactions: AlcoVOLic
I dont believe a PG is that important if your other guards can handle the ball with consistency and break down their defender. But we lack the guys to do that.
I think a PG is either the first or second requirement to be a championship basketball team. Teams that win almost always have very good players at the 1 and 5 positions.

Reactions: HalfullVol

We were having troubles BEFORE Z got hurt but yes in my opinion PG is key.

Last edited:
Reactions: wmcovol
the quickness and handles of smaller PG's is great in college.

NBA is full of quick guys that are larger in stature and negates some of the advantages of smaller, quick PG's at the next level.

KC has great skill level but NBA success requires more in general.

Happy for KC and wish he would've stayed for more success with our BasketVols.

Simple go get a true point guard in the portal to go with ZZ, its a shame ZZ got hurt with ZZ playing and with our bracket could have went to the final 4.

I think a PG is either the first or second requirement to be a championship basketball team. Teams that win almost always have very good players at the 1 and 5 positions.
That is very true. But if you have a 1-3 combo guard that can handle without looking like they are going to piss their pants its not that big of a deal. But yes a true PG would be nice to have.

VN Store

Back