Do Active Women's Basketball Forums Help Recruiting?

If there's a recruit who would pick another school over Tennessee, and in particular UConn, due to message board activity, then I'd probably have to shrug my shoulders about it. The two most active fanbases are the Lady Vols and the Huskies, and I promise you 100% that if UConn had missed the Final Four for as long as Tennessee has, they'd have the *exact* same tone we have here. It's easy to be a fan and to be positive when everything's going your way. Easy, easy.

I'll grant you, a good chunk of the criticism on here has been nasty and even in some cases vile, and I could see that turning off a recruit. That's regrettable. I'd hate to see it happen. And I hate the people who go out of their way to trash the coach or a player. I don't like that at all. But other side of the coin -- at most places there wouldn't even be game threads or discussions of players *to* trash players. Not that I'm condoning trashing players. Rather, I'm saying Tennessee has a lot of fans and a large group of somewhat former-fans who either do care or want to care, but when Tennessee struggles, some of them have acerbic ways of coping. But they care about the Lady Vols. Even if they wish they didn't care. And ultimately I'd take a lot of people who do care over people who don't care any time.

If there's a recruit who would pick another school over Tennessee, and in particular UConn, due to message board activity, then I'd probably have to shrug my shoulders about it. The two most active fanbases are the Lady Vols and the Huskies, and I promise you 100% that if UConn had missed the Final Four for as long as Tennessee has, they'd have the *exact* same tone we have here. It's easy to be a fan and to be positive when everything's going your way. Easy, easy.

I'll grant you, a good chunk of the criticism on here has been nasty and even in some cases vile, and I could see that turning off a recruit. That's regrettable. I'd hate to see it happen. And I hate the people who go out of their way to trash the coach or a player. I don't like that at all. But other side of the coin -- at most places there wouldn't even be game threads or discussions of players *to* trash players. Not that I'm condoning trashing players. Rather, I'm saying Tennessee has a lot of fans and a large group of somewhat former-fans who either do care or want to care, but when Tennessee struggles, some of them have acerbic ways of coping. But they care about the Lady Vols. Even if they wish they didn't care. And ultimately I'd take a lot of people who do care over people who don't care any time.

Ok I understand what you’re saying but why TRASH the player? Seriously, be passionate, be caring but be respectful ya know?

On the flip side look at the boneyard and how they reacted to someone picking TN over UConn... first she was a great b-ball player and a must for UConn becuz of their lack of depth at the pg position but then she was unfit becuz of her commitment video and how it was presented. They have had tremendous success and still knocked the young lady because she and her family “looked like they were in a bad rap video”. Yes, there was music playing and they were dancing and celebrating but she also had Coach Summitt on there talking in the background.

If you don’t think the recruiting boards/forums/social media affect people some players they do because if you look at Rickea Jackson addressing “adults” it was heart felt and sort of sad. Actually I’ll post it for you.

I understand wanting better and being passionate but in the case of tearing players down I can’t get behind that!

If you don’t think the recruiting boards/forums/social media affect people some players they do because if you look at Rickea Jackson addressing “adults” it was heart felt and sort of sad. Actually I’ll post it for you.

I understand wanting better and being passionate but in the case of tearing players down I can’t get behind that!

Hmm, I'm not sure if you're being rhetorical or literal - I said I didn't like seeing people do that, and do not agree with those who do. I also agreed that it may influence recruits. I would imagine it's influenced a few over the years, perhaps more. I am not disagreeing with that idea.

What I was saying in addition to all that was that, as someone who's watched a lot of sports at this point, I can understand where some of that misdirected inappropriate behavior comes from - they want to see UT win and they don't know how to cope with UT not winning because for 33 years UT did nothing but win, and when I say win I mean they really put their foot on peoples' necks and *won* like gangbusters.

And additionally, interesting to me at least, is the continuing proof that the Lady Vols are still unique among most women's basketball programs, in the sense it's treated like any other successful program in college athletics. What I mean is, it's not unlike the men's basketball team, or the football team at Tennessee in the sense that it's a known program. It isn't about women playing basketball -- it's just another historically successful basketball team with all the supporters and detractors that such a thing possesses. I mean it is about women playing basketball, I'm not trying to dismiss the importance of that element. But it's also just a significant sport/competitive presence in the state. Which is what I was getting at with the "hey, win or lose, right or wrong, lots of folks in Tennessee care about the Lady Vols and if you put on that uniform they will care about you too." They just ... really care sometimes.

Oh and there are trolls, too, to be sure. I would love to see the IP addresses of posters who make particularly polarizing remarks or get chippy about things. A good, proper, real troll would run their puppet account for years to build credibility, only "going crazy" when they really wanted to start a problem. But. Eh. That's what social media has done to the internet. Yay.

Reactions: Ladyvol777
Hmm, I'm not sure if you're being rhetorical or literal - I said I didn't like seeing people do that, and do not agree with those who do. I also agreed that it may influence recruits. I would imagine it's influenced a few over the years, perhaps more. I am not disagreeing with that idea.

What I was saying in addition to all that was that, as someone who's watched a lot of sports at this point, I can understand where some of that misdirected inappropriate behavior comes from - they want to see UT win and they don't know how to cope with UT not winning because for 33 years UT did nothing but win, and when I say win I mean they really put their foot on peoples' necks and *won* like gangbusters.

And additionally, interesting to me at least, is the continuing proof that the Lady Vols are still unique among most women's basketball programs, in the sense it's treated like any other successful program in college athletics. What I mean is, it's not unlike the men's basketball team, or the football team at Tennessee in the sense that it's a known program. It isn't about women playing basketball -- it's just another historically successful basketball team with all the supporters and detractors that such a thing possesses. I mean it is about women playing basketball, I'm not trying to dismiss the importance of that element. But it's also just a significant sport/competitive presence in the state. Which is what I was getting at with the "hey, win or lose, right or wrong, lots of folks in Tennessee care about the Lady Vols and if you put on that uniform they will care about you too." They just ... really care sometimes.

Oh and there are trolls, too, to be sure. I would love to see the IP addresses of posters who make particularly polarizing remarks or get chippy about things. A good, proper, real troll would run their puppet account for years to build credibility, only "going crazy" when they really wanted to start a problem. But. Eh. That's what social media has done to the internet. Yay.

I wasn’t being rhetorical I was just asking I’m general. Then reading your comments and talking about people I totally agree. Sorry if I am coming off like a jerk but i was seriously just curious as to your thoughts.

Bingo
gule,

The first thing that hit me when I logged on initially was that VolNation had 36,000 posters.

The analytical part of me went straight to work figuring how many posters we have who follow the LV BB team,, based on how many views that the primary posters ((The "daily" 25-30 posters (e.g..mtsuraider, gule, Rickster, Smallvol, me ...etc) got for each post during periods...As far as I have been able to calculate on my own,,,actual bodies in the seat for for the LVBB Forum : ....In season between 1500-2000+...Off-season around 600-1000...and year round about 300.

This is purely an estimate.
Only Freak knows the true #'s

crap i didn't even get an Honorable Mention :)

Reactions: Voltopia and Will83
This response falls below your usual well thought out posts.
You said "Criticism of Holly, in part, has been warranted due to on court results".
Who determines what is warranted and what is not ?
And then wouldn't even the "warranted" criticism be used against Holly and the program by these unscrupulous coaches/handlers ? If so, then any criticism of the program would be deleterious to recruiting. Surely you're not advocating a ban on all criticism of the program ?
Finally, it seems as though you've determined that the real culprits are the "pathetic" coaches/handlers who can ONLY cast aspersions (true or not) about other programs. Does this really work ?
Can only degrading your competition ("one card"), without boosting your own program, really sway a recruit to want to be coached by the perpetrator of such obvious tactics ?

I believe that negative comments on a site can adversely affect recruiting, however, recruiters also use coaching failures to draw recruits away from programs. Some mentioned that saying negative things about coaching can have a negative impact, however, so does blaming players for coaching failures. As one poster posted it is a double edge sword. Right now we are getting the talent, however, we need to do something with that talent.

I believe that negative comments on a site can adversely affect recruiting, however, recruiters also use coaching failures to draw recruits away from programs. Some mentioned that saying negative things about coaching can have a negative impact, however, so does blaming players for coaching failures. As one poster posted it is a double edge sword. Right now we are getting the talent, however, we need to do something with that talent.

What we say indeed does impact. All parties, players, their families, staff and even each person who posts here (( If they are truly a LV fan and not a emotionless-troll).

What I try to say is that "I will not accept less of a standard than was set by Pat Summitt"She is the standard of coaching to me and anyone who coaches here will have to expect this.

td,
The talent we are acquiring now is of a whole different mindset, but the same caliber.
A bullet isn't just a "45 ",,, It can be a standard, hollow-point, or a lead-head.
Each an equal 45 at startout, but one pierces, one develops, and one pancakes on impact.
Same caliber, different characteristics..

These players we are getting are all of a very high skillset (from what I have seen of them in vids and those I have seen in person at games). These recruits and last year's as well, come in ready to contribute.

One could argue that Chamique,,,,I mean Rennia,,, looks to be on par with Diamond as far as potential and skill level coming in. But look at each of them in a"game"...Not just the results...Look at the demeaner of each one while getting those accomplishments. Now think about that as a teammate..Same caliber, different personalities. . .

Where DD would take a game over,
Rennia lets the game "take over" her.

DD would show every emotion
Rennia keeps you wondering.

Kids like Rennia are fun to work with because you get to see how far they will push themselves
Kids like DD are amazing to work with because you get to see how far you can push them.

I believe a moment of illumination has happened and this staff has now got it.
I look forward more to this year than any yet.

And I will be just as "coach Jumper" as I was last year!

What we say indeed does impact. All parties, players, their families, staff and even each person who posts here (( If they are truly a LV fan and not a emotionless-troll).

What I try to say is that "I will not accept less of a standard than was set by Pat Summitt"She is the standard of coaching to me and anyone who coaches here will have to expect this.

td,
The talent we are acquiring now is of a whole different mindset, but the same caliber.
A bullet isn't just a "45 ",,, It can be a standard, hollow-point, or a lead-head.
Each an equal 45 at startout, but one pierces, one develops, and one pancakes on impact.
Same caliber, different characteristics..

These players we are getting are all of a very high skillset (from what I have seen of them in vids and those I have seen in person at games). These recruits and last year's as well, come in ready to contribute.

One could argue that Chamique,,,,I mean Rennia,,, looks to be on par with Diamond as far as potential and skill level coming in. But look at each of them in a"game"...Not just the results...Look at the demeaner of each one while getting those accomplishments. Now think about that as a teammate..Same caliber, different personalities. . .

Where DD would take a game over,
Rennia lets the game "take over" her.

DD would show every emotion
Rennia keeps you wondering.

Kids like Rennia are fun to work with because you get to see how far they will push themselves
Kids like DD are amazing to work with because you get to see how far you can push them.

I believe a moment of illumination has happened and this staff has now got it.
I look forward more to this year than any yet.

And I will be just as "coach Jumper" as I was last year!
In retrospect, history will tell the true story. I am excited, as I am every year to see the Ladies hit the floor. I love my Lady Vols and ALWAYS will. I pray you are right coach and the coaches really get it. One thing we must accept up front, there will be growing pains with this group, I pray and hope they are fast learners.

Yeah Jackson was talking about the fans on her twitter page, how players or young gurls are bash for picking a certain school.

So the recruits are watching.

In retrospect, history will tell the true story. I am excited, as I am every year to see the Ladies hit the floor. I love my Lady Vols and ALWAYS will. I pray you are right coach and the coaches really get it. One thing we must accept up front, there will be growing pains with this group, I pray and hope they are fast learners.

I hope they come out of the gate burning like last year, but willing to sub at 20 pts and only subbing back if the second group lets it get cut into by 5. You've got to let them grow and see who will bloom throughout the year. Or you can Geno it and play 6-7 deep. You can see that method works too, but only in a group of Alpha athletes. (Same caliber, different results).

This is the culmination I as a coach have waited for.
Same as last year:
-All the staff is either hand picked or undoubtedly chosen.
-A medium-high strength of schedule.
-No drama
-Outstanding recruiting class
But this year
-No personalities
If we keep it that way,,, we're on our way!

I think it might behoove fans who become too critical of coaches to recognize that it might have a negative effect on the program. I am not talking about typical fan stuff, but their are some fans that seem to feel that if they are critical enough they can get rid of the coach.

I know there was one board where the vitriol was over the top hatred. The majority of the criticism were biased and unjustified. That negative perspective was picked up and repeated by people who had little actual knowledge about the program as fact. It became so negative that people actually quite visiting the board, myself included. A number of posters even stated that they were actively working to get the coach fired. Well after 7 years no one posts on that board, and the coach still has her job. All these people who professed to be acting in the best interests of the program did was destroy the board while perhaps also run off some recruits in the process.

I understand that boards serve a viable out let for not only expressing fandom but expressing rational criticism among fans. Still an effort should be made to keep things rational and not allow things to devolve into hate fests. I am not implying that the criticism on his site or any other WCBB board is even close to the irrational bias on the board I was referring to. It was just a cautionary tale as to what intense negativity can lead too.

VN Store

Back