DL Weight Comparisons....

just saw that article from Rivals on the top 15 DT's this year. Malik made #4.

Anyhow, I wanted to point out that out of 15 only a couple were over 300 pounds. We always talk about wanting to sign the 'big uglies', but it appears that the top shelf guys are coming in less that 300.

Thoughts?

Some coaches don't want 300 pound DL's. The best are agile, quick, and athletic. Technique is very important asset at this position.

Damn and I got blasted the other day for saying 270+ DEs are not common in 4-3 Defenses.

Some coaches don't want 300 pound DL's. The best are agile, quick, and athletic. Technique is very important asset at this position.

i agree. There are certainly advantages to both big space eaters and quick/athletic types. Good example of my pref, Nick Fairley played at around 290 if im not mistaken and was a complete beast, so size wise we are not too far off :hi:

I will take Malik Jackson at 270 over most those guys. He's a beast. He might have struggled a little at DE, but the boy was born to play DT.

Yep. Floyd has been moved to DE and Easley to NT according to latest depth charts. I couldn't believe they did that, but there are actually Gator fans who think that the coaching staff is smarter than I am.

Its an interesting move, even though it looks like he'll float between the two. I think that's good for UT, again because the edge rushers gave UT a more difficult time than the bull rushers on passing downs.

Obviously, it makes running a lot tougher task.

Yeah, what Muschamp wants is slowly becoming evident. He wants to stop the run first and worry about the pass later. If Bray is as good as you guys think, that strategy may play into your hands. Urban wanted fast finesse; Muschamp wants strength and physicality. It's almost as if he is trying to build a team to beat Bama. In the secondary he seems to favor people who hit over safeties who cover. It will be interesting to see how that works out.

Yeah, what Muschamp wants is slowly becoming evident. He wants to stop the run first and worry about the pass later. If Bray is as good as you guys think, that strategy may play into your hands. Urban wanted fast finesse; Muschamp wants strength and physicality. It's almost as if he is trying to build a team to beat Bama. In the secondary he seems to favor people who hit over safeties who cover. It will be interesting to see how that works out.

Hopefully, (in every game except the one against us) your secondary knows how to wrap up.
Watching teams get 5+ yards after contact on the Tennessee secondary because of pinball "highlight reel" hits (instead of proper tackles) was painful in 2009, equally painful in 2010, and un-freaking-acceptable this year.

assuming those weights posted are accurate they all look relatively comparable

UT is 270 avg
LSU is 273
UF is 270
Auburn is 272
SC is 278

To be honest with you, I'm really glad Muschamp turned us down. I don't hate the guy, but I'm beginning to think he's going to have a rough transition to being a head coach.

Not because of this strategy, but from what I've been reading, its been a difficult transition to head coach. Dooley fortunately had already made that transition so he's not learning while teaching.

I have long believe that choosing a successful head coach from a smaller school was a less risky option than choosing a highly thought of coordinator from a top FB school. Worked well with Urban. Foley has made good choices before, so I am just hoping he is right again.

Yep. Floyd has been moved to DE and Easley to NT according to latest depth charts. I couldn't believe they did that, but there are actually Gator fans who think that the coaching staff is smarter than I am.
Fl
So ur running a 3-4? That would make sense, moving floyd to end if so.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

assuming those weights posted are accurate they all look relatively comparable

UT is 270 avg
LSU is 273
UF is 270
Auburn is 272
SC is 278

Well that's with the ones, I am scared to see if we drop off much in the two's and three's

Well that's with the ones, I am scared to see if we drop off much in the two's and three's

Having concern about some twos seems legit. If a team is having to rely often on some threes then that team is just unlucky with the injury bug. Not much can be done about that.

No one is 100% what the defense will look like. It will be fluid.

Powell is at the Buck position which is a hybrid LB/DE position. So at times, UF will line up with 4 LB and only 3 down linemen - who will by Jaye Howard, Dominique Easley, and Shariff Floyd - 3 guys close to 300 pounds and then at times Powell will put his hand down and UF will rush four down linemen. Or maybe Powell will put his hand down, and then drop into coverage, and 250 pound Lerentee McCray rushes the QB from the SLB position on the other side of the defense, etc...

This will be a versatile defense, but only time will tell how good it will be at Florida. Muschamp has a good defensive pedigree, but we've all seen coordinators (even highly respected coordinators) blow it as a head coach.

The staff he put together is very strong, so we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

1s

255 DE Smith
270 DT Jackson
293 DT Hood
265 DE Martin

DTs avg 282, DEs avg 260

2s

254 DE Bohannon
265 DT Miller
305 DT Couch
281 DE Walls

DTs avg 285, DEs avg 268

3s (my best guess)

240 DE Williams
280 DT Ayres
305 DT Jeffery
280 DE Saulsberry

DTs avg 292, DEs avg 260

Last edited:
Regarding the FL talk I'm just happiest we are one year ahead on this transition going into the new power shift in the east. FL already has the recruiting edge so we need whatever we can get to level that out. I stand by statements that the Weiss/Muschamp relationship will be boom or bust. If there are any early failures I sense a lot of strife in that war room.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back