DK is the best Tennessee player of the 3 point line era

I think injury is the only thing that would prevent him from being picked in the lottery. He’s a better ball-handling, more athletic, taller, better shot-creating, better slashing, better driving to the hole version of JJ redick (who was a lottery pick).
Hope you’re tight. I’d love to see it.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yes he is. Best talent we’ve had since King. Best player just has to be the best player. It’s not best career. It’s best player period.

It has been a while since I experienced Bernard King, but it looked like he took over the game in a King-like fashion. Definitely very different styles, but a lot of the same results.

It’s my opinion that Houston was better, but that’s just my opinion. Knecht May be, I was only arguing that he isn’t “head and shoulders” better than Houston and a sure fire lottery pick. He very well may be, but a lot can happen in the next 4 months.

Maybe 'head and shoulders' is pushing it a bit, but I don't see how you can rate Houston as a better player than Knecht. Houston was a better FT shooter and probably a bit better 3-pt. shooter, but DK is a true 3-level scorer, where AH was primarily a jump shooter who could post up and go to the rim.

Both great players, but it's DK's ability to just take over games that separates him from anyone I've seen at UT with the possible exceptions of Bernard King and Dale Ellis, whose career coincided with my time at UT. I don't recall Houston being the closer that Knecht has proven to be, albeit in a much smaller sample size.

Maybe 'head and shoulders' is pushing it a bit, but I don't see how you can rate Houston as a better player than Knecht. Houston was a better FT shooter and probably a bit better 3-pt. shooter, but DK is a true 3-level scorer, where AH was primarily a jump shooter who could post up and go to the rim.

Both great players, but it's DK's ability to just take over games that separates him from anyone I've seen at UT with the possible exceptions of Bernard King and Dale Ellis, whose career coincided with my time at UT. I don't recall Houston being the closer that Knecht has proven to be, albeit in a much smaller sample size.
You’re not wrong. Houston didn’t have teammates worthy of any attention from opposing defenses. I guess that’s the thing. I have no issue with anyone saying DK is better, it’s the way it was phrased (as you rightly addressed) that I took issue with. Houston playing on garbage teams works against him imo. He did take over some games, not so much on the way DK has, and maybe not against the caliber of teams which DK has done it against. DK has played tougher competition while playing on a better team with a better coach. Again, it’s my opinion Houston was better, but I don’t think it’s a slam dunk case. Maybe it’s nostalgia for me. IDK.

As a freshman, Houston had 43 points and 11 rebounds vs an LSU team that had Shaq, Stanley Roberts and Chris Jackson. Jackson had 49 in the game and they beat us by 6 points. They were in first place in the SEC at the time, and, well, we were not. Jackson and Shaq are top 8 all-time SEC players imo.

Wade was not good. The roster wasn't good. But Houston could pour in points from the day he stepped on campus.

I am not a numbers guy but I would like to see the numbers to the above mentioned players best year compared to DK's numbers this year.

You’re right it’s not close. Sorry but DK isn’t even close. Only one season does not make you the best player ever at any program. Same reason guys like Tobias, Chandler, Keon, can’t be on the list. One of, if not the best, seasons in school history for sure but not best player in Vols last 40years. Just not enough at bats.
Keon.......give me a break.

Reactions: BisonVol
He’s not going to be a lottery pick. He’s going to likely be top 20. Why are we making outrageous statements? Knecht is incredible and we should appreciate it and enjoy it.
With all due respect, who are 19 players you would take over him? They’ll be several teams base their picks on needs but I honestly can’t say I’ve seen 19 players that can do what I’ve seen him do.

With all due respect, who are 19 players you would take over him? They’ll be several teams base their picks on needs but I honestly can’t say I’ve seen 19 players that can do what I’ve seen him do.
There aren’t 19 I’d take over him, but I don’t work for an NBA front office. I’m not saying he shouldn’t be a lottery pick, I’m saying it’s not a slam dunk he will be, as was posted. I feel Ive stated that clearly several times. Combines haven’t happened, underclassmen players haven’t declared yet, etc. lots of variables.

And I don’t think it’s even close. No disrespect to Houston, Lofton, or G-will. Dalton Knecht is head and shoulders above them.
I didn’t get to see Houston play, so I can’t speak on him. However Chris lofton was that guy back when I was in high school.. unbelievable contested 3 point shooter and the videos don’t do it justice.
Knecht is a different breed tho, hands down the best vol player of the modern era.

There aren’t 19 I’d take over him, but I don’t work for an NBA front office. I’m not saying he shouldn’t be a lottery pick, I’m saying it’s not a slam dunk he will be, as was posted. I feel Ive stated that clearly several times. Combines haven’t happened, underclassmen players haven’t declared yet, etc. lots of variables.

The one thing Knecht has working against him is his age, as lottery picks are generally 18-19 year old kids with tremendous upside that teams are hoping will be entering their prime by 23-24. They are more often than not the 'superstars' of the league if a team hits on and develops the right one.

Seniors like DK who are 24-25 years old are generally drafted or signed as UFA's as role players. Dalton is an exception in that he blossomed and peaked very late in his college career, but it's still not common for a senior to be a lottery pick. I'll tell you this, there will be teams that will regret passing on this kid.

Reactions: Col_Cathcart
I am not a numbers guy but I would like to see the numbers to the above mentioned players best year compared to DK's numbers this year.
DK SG
20.8 ppg 4.9 reb 1.9 assists
48.2% FG 41.4% 3/76.5ft

Grant Williams PF
18.8 ppg 7.5 reb 3.1 assists
56.2% FG 32.6% 3/81.9ft

Chris Lofton SG
20.8 ppg, 3.1 rebs 1.7 assists
47.9% FG 41.9% 3/81.1 FT

Ron Slay PF
21.2 ppg 7.8 rebs 2.1 assists
48.6% FG 37.4 3/78.2 ft

Dyron Nix F
21.6 ppg, 9.4 rebs 1.9 assist (he averaged 22.2 as a jr)
51.6% FG 36.9% 3/71.5% ft.

Tony White PG
24.5 ppg 3.3 rebs 1.8 assists
48.9% FG. 41.2% 3/90.5% ft

Allan Houston SG
23.7 ppg 3.1 rebs 3.9 assists
48.2% from the floor. 42.9% 3/86.7% ft

Dale Ellis F
22.7 ppg 6.5 rebs 1 assist
60.1% from the floor. 75.1% ft.

Bernard King F
25.8 ppg 14.3 rebs 3.2 assists (not his best ppg year)
57.8% FG 71.2% FT

Ernie Grunfeld F
25.3 ppg 6.4 rebs 2.1 assists
52.6% FG 80.8% FT

Last edited:
The one thing Knecht has working against him is his age, as lottery picks are generally 18-19 year old kids with tremendous upside that teams are hoping will be entering their prime by 23-24. They are more often than not the 'superstars' of the league if a team hits on and develops the right one.

Seniors like DK who are 24-25 years old are generally drafted or signed as UFA's as role players. Dalton is an exception in that he blossomed and peaked very late in his college career, but it's still not common for a senior to be a lottery pick. I'll tell you this, there will be teams that will regret passing on this kid.

He’s 22. Will be 23 in April.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I'll also say this in defense of the pre 1995 or so players, CBB is watered down now vs when they played. Back then most players played 3+ years before going pro. For years now the top potential talents each year are one and dones. Not even counting the talent that goes to the G-League.

In this era, Ernie, Bernie, Houston etc, likely one and done. There's not many DKs kicking around out there. 22-year-olds who have lottery pick potential. Most of them are gone by 19 now. Back then you had teams with upper classmen lottery picks.

It's been 23 years since a senior went #1 in the NBA draft. There's not been a senior drafted in the top 5 in almost 15 years. By contrast in 1990, 25 of 27 1st round picks were seniors. 1991 4 underclassmen (3jrs 1 soph), one Euro, 22 seniors. 1992 4 jrs, one of them Shaq, and 23 seniors in rd 1.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
I agree. But I saw a CBS Sports projection that still had him at 17 to the Magic. A bunch of foreign players ahead of him that I’ve never heard of and that’s hard to gauge. Only a couple of college players in front of him.

DK SG
20.8 ppg 4.9 reb 1.9 assists
48.2% FG 41.4% 3/76.5ft

Grant Williams PF
18.8 ppg 7.5 reb 3.1 assists
56.2% FG 32.6% 3/81.9ft

Chris Lofton SG
20.8 ppg, 3.1 rebs 1.7 assists
47.9% FG 41.9% 3/81.1 FT

Ron Slay PF
21.2 ppg 7.8 rebs 2.1 assists
48.6% FG 37.4 3/78.2 ft

Dyron Nix F
21.6 ppg, 9.4 rebs 1.9 assist (he averaged 22.2 as a jr)
51.6% FG 36.9% 3/71.5% ft.

Tony White PG
24.5 ppg 3.3 rebs 1.8 assists
48.9% FG. 41.2% 3/90.5% ft

Allan Houston SG
23.7 ppg 3.1 rebs 3.9 assists
48.2% from the floor. 42.9% 3/86.7% ft

Dale Ellis F
22.7 ppg 6.5 rebs 1 assist
60.1% from the floor. 75.1% ft.

Bernard King F
25.8 ppg 14.3 rebs 3.2 assists (not his best ppg year)
57.8% FG 71.2% FT

Ernie Grunfeld F
25.3 ppg 6.4 rebs 2.1 assists
52.6% FG 80.8% FT
Thanks for posting this. TN has a lot richer basketball tradition than most folks realize. I forgot all about Dale Ellis, and Tony White.

VN Store

Back