DIY Patio Roof Extension Advice Needed

volinbham

VN GURU
Alright VNr's.

I had a lean-to style shed roof (corrugated metal) built over a patio and I'd like to add about a foot of width to the roof to keep some of the rain out.

I'm looking for ideas. Have considered adding another roof panel but person who built it for me suggests I need to frame out supports and it seems like a lot of work.

Have considered adding gutters (could get me an additional 6 inches of roof), some type of awning, some type of sheet metal in an L-fold that sticks out about 8 inches, etc.

I've attached a couple pics of the structure and basically I'm looking for an economical way to extend the width of the rain protection (8 - 12 inches would probably do it). In the second pic you can see how the structure stops short of the house roof line - would like to go out all the way.

Thanks!

IMG_2690.jpgIMG_2689.jpg

You want a little more rain protection for the covered patio correct ? You have no existing overhang at present that I can see correct ? I am assuming that it is open ended on the right side of the pic ?

Last edited:
You want a little more rain protection for the covered patio correct ? You have no existing overhang at present that I can see correct ? I am assuming that it is open ended on the right side of the pic ?

correct - currently there is no overhang on left or right and I'd like to have maybe up to a foot more on each side.

correct - currently there is no overhang on left or right and I'd like to have maybe up to a foot more on each side.

If you are just wanting to keep rain from blowing in you could always just hang some of that very thick clear plastic from the outside joists, they make a thick and heavy clear plastic that allows the sunlight in but will not blow easily in the wind (like the stuff you see in grocery stores where employees are going into stockrooms). You could have it cut to whatever length you prefer, you can do a foot or so or go to ground level.
If you really want the roof coverage on both sides you will probably have to frame it in some way. It's possible that you may be able to just use support beams and some flashing front and back on both sides. They make sleeves that you can tapcon in the concrete and set your 4x4s or 6x6s in if you have a concrete base. Then you could always gutter and downspout it to give you a little more. I don't know if that helps, but just an idea or two.

curtron-m106-s-4080-40-x-80-standard-clear-step-in-refrigerator-freezer-strip-door.jpg

If you are just wanting to keep rain from blowing in you could always just hang some of that very thick clear plastic from the outside joists, they make a thick and heavy clear plastic that allows the sunlight in but will not blow easily in the wind (like the stuff you see in grocery stores where employees are going into stockrooms). You could have it cut to whatever length you prefer, you can do a foot or so or go to ground level.
If you really want the roof coverage on both sides you will probably have to frame it in some way. It's possible that you may be able to just use support beams and some flashing front and back on both sides. They make sleeves that you can tapcon in the concrete and set your 4x4s or 6x6s in if you have a concrete base. Then you could always gutter and downspout it to give you a little more. I don't know if that helps, but just an idea or two.

I appreciate it. I am considering the hanging something idea - may do some outdoor curtains.

What about building a temporary structure to hold the current roof joists. Then remove the right-side upright and the existing beam. Then put a new upright in line with the house, and then put a longer beam from the existing left-hand upright to the new right-hand upright. Remove temp structure. Add a new roof joist on the right side and then a new piece of corrugated roofing.

Does that make sense?

Reactions: jp1

Wouldn't that keep the smoke from the grill in as well though?

What about building a temporary structure to hold the current roof joists. Then remove the right-side upright and the existing beam. Then put a new upright in line with the house, and then put a longer beam from the existing left-hand upright to the new right-hand upright. Remove temp structure. Add a new roof joist on the right side and then a new piece of corrugated roofing.

Does that make sense?

it does. I was trying to do it without much reconfiguring.

basically I figured that the roof panels are so light that it wouldn't take much to brace them and I could extend 1x4s like they are currently nailed to and put the roof panel on that but apparently that's not enough structure.

I'm considering some L brackets and maybe mounting a 1 x 12 on it either sealed or with some roll roofing material just to get an overhang. Any thoughts on that feasibility?

one thing I'm considering - what problems am I not anticipating with this other than how it might look.

use some L brackets to support a 1 x 12 piece (or thinner) of maybe composite decking or pressure treated lumber.

rough drawing

IMG_2691.jpg

Attach the "ladder" to existing joist. Overlay additional roof panel. Attach a 1x fascia board across the entire front to give it an overall clean look.

Reactions: volinbham
I doubt adding 1 ft will give you much relief unless the wind doesn't blow at your house. You are only enclosed on the house side. Any breeze from the other three sides will get the furniture and you.

Perhaps small (10-15') trees on one or more sides will help. You dont want to lose your view though so be careful about planting close to the house.

Last edited:
Just extend the beam 16 inches and add another joist and set another panel. You’re allowed to cantilever up to 24 inches. If you’re concerned about the look fill in the rest of the beam between the additional board.

Just extend the beam 16 inches and add another joist and set another panel. You’re allowed to cantilever up to 24 inches. If you’re concerned about the look fill in the rest of the beam between the additional board.

That sounds straightforward. How would you extend the beam?

That sounds straightforward. How would you extend the beam?
Add another 2x6 the the face of the existing beam. Screws and glue. I’d do the entire length of the beam for the appearance but 16 face contact is all that’s required

Reactions: volinbham
I doubt adding 1 ft will give you much relief unless the wind doesn't blow at your house. You are only enclosed on the house side. Any breeze from the other three sides will get the furniture and you.

I agree. The issue is there's a retaining wall and the current roof doesn't get out to it. If I can extend out to it then the direct rain won't be coming down on the patio and will hit the yard instead if that makes sense.

VN Store

Back