Did we turn on Butch too soon?

Boone&Crockett

Mattress Salesman
Just a random thought but when you look back over his body of work i gotta say it has been better than Pruitt to this point. Butch beat Florida, Georgia, with a ounce of luck he beats Oklahoma, he recruited more dynamic players here than Pruitt has in Dobbs, Barnett, Kamara, Patterson, Sutton, etc... and now that Penix has shown what potential he would have brought here he may have been the next Josh Dobbs and put us back in position to win.

Reactions: golfballs
Just a random thought but when you look back over his body of work i gotta say it has been better than Pruitt to this point. Butch beat Florida, Georgia, with a ounce of luck he beats Oklahoma, he recruited more dynamic players here than Pruitt has in Dobbs, Barnett, Kamara, Patterson, Sutton, etc... and now that Penix has shown what potential he would have brought here he may have been the next Josh Dobbs and put us back in position to win.

LOL waiting for Butch to achieve the first 0-8 SEC record in school history was firing him too soon? You forget that Butch's success was based entirely on Josh Dobbs and a hype train. His program of B.S. was not sustainable in the SEC or any other conference, as was proven out.

LOL waiting for Butch to achieve the first 0-8 SEC record in school history was firing him too soon? You forget that Butch's success was based entirely on Josh Dobbs and a hype train. His program of B.S. was not sustainable in the SEC or any other conference, as was proven out.

and if he was that good, he wouldn't still be playing water boy for Saban and co.

No. It was over for butch. You get 3-4 years to prove you have what it takes. That’s the way it works in college football. The sad thing with regard to butch is all he really had to do is have some guts in big games. That’s it. We had explosive players. But he just always went conservative as soon as we got a lead. With Pruitt...we never even get a lead. Lol. Butch was definitely better than Pruitt. He’d had more success to this point amd he just had more momentum overall. But neither were great. Hell neither were even good

I didnt forget it, I did say that Penix could have been the type Quarterback to replace Dobbs

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
While Butch had more of a "Head coach" mindset, he really didnt understand football sufficiently to evaluate players and to have the overall strategy right for SEC play. The smaller, more mobile players and star searching left us hurting against the walls of beef we play against on both sides of the line. What worked ok in Cinci just wasnt going to cut it on the bigger stage and he was simply out of his depth here.

Butch Jones has got to go!

I do believe if Butch could have kept his staff together he would have had better success, Bajakian was a good Offensive Coordinator, Jancek I never thought was great but Shoop was a disaster, without the turnover and lack of continuity who knows..

Reactions: Lilcarl731
Heck no. Vols played some of the worst Florida teams ever put on the field and he only won 1 in 5 years. He didn't utilize the talent. If it wasn't for Dobbs Butch would have been fired after year 3

Im just saying if we had kept him we wouldnt be any worse than we are now and with Penix emerging we could be in a better place than we are now, hindsight is 20/20 but you always have to learn from mistakes. It may be a mistake to be calling for Pruitt to be fired so soon as well.

When S&C program was a take it or leave it option for the players playing as an SEC team was in for an eventual freefall. it's not we gave up on Butch too soon, we kept him around waaaaaaay too long.

VN Store

Back