Did Tennessee tank the game on purpose?

QUESTION

If players can OPTED out to play a bowl game in football, can a "TEAM" decide to opted out of the SEC Tournament?

I am sure that the Bureaucrats at the SEC office would not like it, but if the Number 1 SEC seed says no, what can they do? Fine the team? The money would go to the SEC office and back to the teams again? (with a bit of filtering) With all that has happened with NIL, Transfers, and Opted Outs, I believe the teams (say schools) have the power and not the SEC office.
The issue with that is ESPN is paying the SEC for 13 SECT games, if a team opts out then no game or revenue…. So you opt out by acting like it’s practice

What is even the point of the SEC Tournament? Is the winner of the tournament considered to be the best team in the SEC, and if so, what's the point of being the regular season champion? Does it impact NCAA seeds as much as people want to believe? It's stupid. Just seems like a conference money grab. Does anyone really believe State and A&M are better than UT or UK? I've never cared about this tournament.

Apparently Miss State IS BETTER than TN.

Reactions: volfeeva
I was thinking tank as well, but my realistic thought was that we stunk it up. Their physical play and lack of a few obvious calls took us out of our game.

I didn't watch the game, but turned it on with 18:37 left in the 2nd half. MSU had, I think either 36 or 38 points and Tennessee had 22. That's 1 point per minute for Tennessee. You ain't gonna win many games scoring like that. I turned it off knowing what the outcome was at that point.

It seems to me that when Tennessee has more days to rest between games, the worse they play. Sometimes you can lose your focus and edge with too much time between games.

I don’t think they tanked but it is stupid to have the SEC tournament so close to the NCAAT. Coaches talk about tired legs near seasons end so does it make sense to play 3 or 4 tough games in a roll just 3 or 4 days before your 1st NCAAT game?

The women get what, 11 or more days to recover with non physically demanding practices before their NCAA tourney starts.

What is even the point of the SEC Tournament? Is the winner of the tournament considered to be the best team in the SEC, and if so, what's the point of being the regular season champion? Does it impact NCAA seeds as much as people want to believe? It's stupid. Just seems like a conference money grab. Does anyone really believe State and A&M are better than UT or UK? I've never cared about this tournament.
It is called money. Means more in the SEC - skankey and his goons. Tenn, Ky, and Bummer all lost yesterday to teams that needed wins to make sure they get in NCAA? Aubie won vs USCe - a team in the tourney.

Or they've hit a cold streak at the worst possible time. Maybe there was a locker room fight? This game did kinda remind me of the SCjr game in football. ;)
Oh, now you've done it. Conspiracy theory fans, let's hear your takes. 😜

some teams just need/want it more.

vols weren't motivated and it that showed.

will know more next week.

stay tuned

we normally play Jonas/awake and Mashack together against physical teams like MS state. Yesterday we did not play them together. We had Dalton bringing the ball up after sitting for an extended time. Jonas set out almost the entire second half and we chunked up 34 three point shots. Not our normal game. We most definitely tanked this game. Good call by Barnes to rest them for the real tournament.

My cousins sisters boyfriend said Aidoo was mad at Awaka for eating the last bowl of green lucky charms. DK tried to break up the fight and tweaked his wrist. ZZ was seen with green milk in his bowl mumbling they’re magically delicious later that evening.

I don't believe they did either but don't see it hurting them. The #1 seed for winning SEC tourney was not guaranteed. NC will get that last spot even it they did win it.

Reactions: TNgradmom
If you go back and look this team has issues with teams that are aggressive defensively. It is a weakness that they are vulnerable to. If I were a coach against them I would play the most aggressive defense I could.
The key factor in yesterdays loss ( besides missing shots) is how MSU's aggressive in-your-face defense never allowed the Vols to get anything going. They beat us at our own game defensively. And playing as the underdog, they hit shots when they needed to and we just not hit anything. Makes you wonder where that MSU team we saw yesterday has been all year ?

Reactions: TNgradmom
I don't believe they did either but don't see it hurting them. The #1 seed for winning SEC tourney was not guaranteed. NC will get that last spot even it they did win it.

It definitely hurts them from a credibility standpoint. They already laid an egg most of the game against UK on Senior Day, then follow up with never being in the game as the top seed in the SECT.

In 2 weeks time they have gone from strong #1 seed that pundits were touting at NC contenders to now we're already the trendy upset pick.

Last edited:
Any attempt to excuse that beat down as a " tanking" is a cop-out I changed the channel at halftime.

VN Store

Back