Did Helton tank us?

CA_Vol

It just occurred to me that Tyson Helton may have tanked the final 2 games. Think about it. After an impressive win against Kentucky, the team looked completely lost offensively against two teams that struggled defensively all year long. Helton had previous coaching experience with WKU, so it isn’t inconceivable that back channel talks occurred late in the season to gauge interest.

I’ll sit here with my aluminum foil hat on, but it certainly explains how clueless the offensive game plans were the last two weeks of the season.

It just occurred to me that Tyson Helton may have tanked the final 2 games. Think about it. After an impressive win against Kentucky, the team looked completely lost offensively against two teams that struggled defensively all year long. Helton had previous coaching experience with WKU, so it isn’t inconceivable that back channel talks occurred late in the season to gauge interest.

I’ll sit here with my aluminum foil hat on, but it certainly explains how clueless the offensive game plans were the last two weeks of the season.
Tanked, no. Distracted, yes. IMO

I don’t know that he tanked is but I feel pretty comfortable assuming he mailed it in. What did he care at that point, it’s easy to see he probably already knew he had the WKU gig in the bag.

I doubt he purposely "tanked" but if he knew WKU was next it wouldn't surprise me if he spent a little less time in film, with players, with staff in game preparation in order to familiarize with WKU things. Not to mention the distraction it could create in-game.

Help me out and explain what advantage there would be to “tanking” the last two games.

Didn't have to travel to Memphis for a Liberty Bowl game during the holidays was the rumor but I don't have any sources for it. Nevermind. That could have been someone else who dissed us mane.

About a week after the Vandy game, I rewatched every offensive play for each team in slow motion, starting and stopping before the snap and then frame by frame as the play progressed. One thing was obvious, almost every offensive play by Vandy was well thought out and we'll executed. Tennessee's were less complex and even if JG had time, the receivers were not setup to be open and even if they caught a pass, there was not much of a chance they could gain any additional yards. Vandy looked disturbingly better coached.

About a week after the Vandy game, I rewatched every offensive play for each team in slow motion, starting and stopping before the snap and then frame by frame as the play progressed. One thing was obvious, almost every offensive play by Vandy was well thought out and we'll executed. Tennessee's were less complex and even if JG had time, the receivers were not setup to be open and even if they caught a pass, there was not much of a chance they could gain any additional yards. Vandy looked disturbingly better coached.
Vandy was a game we should have been much more competitive in and weren’t. Helton off to WKU shortly thereafter. This isn’t a coincidence, in my opinion.

Vandy was a game we should have been much more competitive in and weren’t. Helton off to WKU shortly thereafter. This isn’t a coincidence, in my opinion.

Shades of Doug Dickey in 1969. Tanks the game against Florida and then becomes the head coach at Florida after the Gator Bowl no less which was the last game of the season losing 14-13.

1969 Tennessee Volunteers football team - Wikipedia

What other sec OC had a similar story line this year? And what did those two teams have in common?

More likely he and Pruitt were on the WAY outs by the last couple of games. Pruitt, in his lifelong jock, emasculating way, said 'your playcalling sucks, LA boy. My daddy's middle school OC could do better than this. This ain't Bama football'. He then snatched the playbook and Helton said, 'f--- it, this offense is now yours. I'm going to Kaintucky '.

A little bird to!d me that's how it went down.

More likely he and Pruitt were on the WAY outs by the last couple of games. Pruitt, in his lifelong jock, emasculating way, said 'your playcalling sucks, LA boy. My daddy's middle school OC could do better than this. This ain't Bama football'. He then snatched the playbook and Helton said, 'f--- it, this offense is now yours. I'm going to Kaintucky '.

A little bird to!d me that's how it went down.
This actually sounds plausible.

Reactions: OrangeShades

If so he needs to back us back about $200,000 for part of his salary.

I suspect you may be more of a “Titanic” kind of guy.
Your suspecting ass is dead wrong. I'm more of a Braveheart kind of guy. Where did you get your suspicions?

By the way, although the movie you refer to is romantic fluff, there is some basis in history there. A Clockwork Orange was nothing but weirdo crap.

This actually sounds plausible.

It does actually, just a less rednecky version of it.

The problem is this would have to have happened after the KY game, which wouldn’t make a ton of sense. Could have happened after/during Mizzou though.

VN Store

Back