Did Currie blow it?

I give this hire a B+, especially if the staff Vitello assembles is top notch. I know he has no HC experience and we do not know how it will turn out in the long run, but it did check all the boxes. The guy is young, energetic, and a great recruiter (#2 in the country, #1 SEC). He has SEC experience and been a part of some great programs. He knows how to mentor players and understands the expectations to win. I also like the fact that everybody is speaking highly about him. Multiple people, even Arkansas's coach and fans, have mentioned how determined and hard working Vitello is, as well as wishing him well as a HC. It speaks volumes when a lot of people wanted him to be the head coach at a program like Arkansas. At Tennessee, it is nice to finally get a guy that another program liked and sought after, not their rejects or someone they are glad to see go. I am excited about this hire and wish him the best!

I also have to admit I like the way this search was conducted and how Currie went out and got a great guy for the job that addressed the needs of our baseball program. It'll be nice to have an AD that is willing to spend money to get talented coaches and not be controlled by the boosters.

Just for the sake of it, I would have considered Bakich or Calvi A hires, Bohannon B+, and Szefc/Mazey B. I really see a lot of comparisons in Bohannon and Vitello (experience, reputation, etc).

Last edited:
BG, despite being in the SEC. The University of Arkansas is a midwestern school. However, I do agree that he should be able to use those contacts to recruit midwestern players to the SEC. Then, as he creates contacts in the southeast, the recruiting area would be larger than it has been for UT.

As I said, I'm OK with the hire but no experience in this area is a matter of concern. As is, the fact, Mizzou didn't hire him last year. There may be an answer to that one and I would like to hear it.

I've read some stuff that said their fans were confused by not going after him as well.

On Arkansas being Midwestern will just agree to disagree on that one lol. East Arkansas in the heart of the Delta is as southern as it comes. Granted the school isn't located there but it still has significant sway in that part of the world. UT is located in what was a Union stronghold; East TN might as well be part of the northeast.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Fayetteville is about 20 miles from Oklahoma and about 325 miles from Memphis. And Knoxville is in Tennessee which is south of Kentucky and Virginia. Not to mention, the guy has only been at Arkansas for 4 years. The rest of his career was at TCU and Missouri. (hint: they ain't in the southeast either!!):)

I do hope the guy can recruit the midwest and the southeast.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Yes Currie blew it. Mike Hamilton 2.0

Currie did a good job with the search. Alabama got in pretty quick with Bohannan but Calvi was contacted last week. Currie was in contact with Calvi's agent throughout the weekend and they met Monday.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Fayetteville is about 20 miles from Oklahoma and about 325 miles from Memphis. And Knoxville is in Tennessee which is south of Kentucky and Virginia. Not to mention, the guy has only been at Arkansas for 4 years. The rest of his career was at TCU and Missouri. (hint: they ain't in the southeast either!!):)

I do hope the guy can recruit the midwest and the southeast.

Texas isn't the Midwest either; it is it's own world. Dyersburg, TN is 20 miles from Missouri. Martin, TN is 60 miles from IL. West TN is definitely part of the Midwest....

All the talk about the Midwest males me worry that is where we are going to head for recruits. I think we need to focus on Georgia and Florida.

First of all I am estatic lawson and Burke weren't the hire but this sure sounds like Currie blew it as I have been a huge fan of Calvi for a number of years now .

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.al.com/v1/articles/20824993/mark_calvi_says_hes_happy_at_s.amp

If Currie gives full support in getting the right assistants in, then no. I believe Tennessee's biggest problems in hiring has been less about making the right head coach hire. Once they make a hire, I suspect they give him/her a figure for hiring assistants, and tell them don't go over it. And that is not just a baseball issue.

You get what you pay for.

Texas isn't the Midwest either; it is it's own world. Dyersburg, TN is 20 miles from Missouri. Martin, TN is 60 miles from IL. West TN is definitely part of the Midwest....

Well, Dang!! Then the guy will definitely not be able to recruit the southeast. He hasn't been anywhere near it!!:)

BTW: what do you know about Martin, Tn.

Only on the baseball board can you get in an argument about geography!!

Well, Dang!! Then the guy will definitely not be able to recruit the southeast. He hasn't been anywhere near it!!:)

BTW: what do you know about Martin, Tn.

Only on the baseball board can you get in an argument about geography!!

Spent a lot of time in West TN in my prior job. I work in the agricultural industry and had customers out there, many of whom are UTM grads. My in-laws fall in the UTM alum category as well. Spent most of my time in Dresden area.

Last edited:
I am glad Coach V was hired. Calvi running his mouth tells me all I need to know about him. Whether usc hires him or not is TBD. Tanner is going to make the hire without a search committee.

He hired Holbrook so maybe he will do better this time, who really knows with most hires.

I like how Coach V has done it all -- coached hitting and pitching, etc. I like that he is a younger guy and hungry in that this is first shot as a head coach.

He obviously can recruit based on past performance. I think that he will do just fine wherever he recruits. He will build relationships based on how he treats the high school coaches.

He can sure point to some great players that he has had a hand in developing. Not so sure about Calvi.

Currie was definitely putting in the work. He was in Mobile, AL on Monday night and on the phone with Vitello several hours later. I give him an A for effort and at this point a solid B for results. As with any program, staff and recruiting will tell the tale.

Good article. The tight lipped part is the best part of it. Wonder if there's any chance we chose Vitello over Calvi from the beginning and Calvi came out publicly to try and save face? Rather than the other way around.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. His comments reek of sour grapes.

Good article. The tight lipped part is the best part of it. Wonder if there's any chance we chose Vitello over Calvi from the beginning and Calvi came out publicly to try and save face? Rather than the other way around.

Calvi was definitely offered the position. John Currie was at his home Monday evening.

VN Store

Back