Did anyone ever try to hire Fulmer away?

Smokie_is_my_dude

I cant remember back that far, but did any big programs try and talk to Fulmer and hire him away from Tennessee? I would tend to think not because he was such a Tennessee guy. but his resume was outstanding in the 90's and into the early 2000's. I know the coaching carousel was not nearly the same as it is now, but i was wondering if anyone could remember any other schools that came calling? I figured i would ask since everyone is paranoid about other schools poaching our current staff.

No.

People need to realize that what happened with Lane Kiffin was the product of a number of special circumstances (USC being in a tough bind, Lane having absolutely no scruples, Hamilton not understanding how to negotiate a contract, etc.) and it was a dumb move that both schools obviously regret. It's very unlikely to happen to us ever again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
According to Fulmer and his agent, yes. Hamilton bought it every single time and it tended to result in a new "softer" contract for Fulmer.

In reality, he was never a threat to leave.

Reactions: 5 people
I do not recall any, but then again it was a different time with a different culture and mindset. If there were offers, and most schools would have jumped at the chance to have him, they would have kept the offer out of the media. Coach Fulmer always was and always will be known as a Tennessee guy.

Reactions: 7 people
I cant remember back that far, but did any big programs try and talk to Fulmer and hire him away from Tennessee? I would tend to think not because he was such a Tennessee guy. but his resume was outstanding in the 90's and into the early 2000's. I know the coaching carousel was not nearly the same as it is now, but i was wondering if anyone could remember any other schools that came calling? I figured i would ask since everyone is paranoid about other schools poaching our current staff.

No

I believe after 98, he was approached by some NFL teams

For a few years after that he would make vague comments about weighing his options. I rememember a few news stories with headlines like "Will Fulmer head to the NFL?" I think at his peak he probably would have made a decent coach in the NFL.

Reactions: 1 person
As a Tennessee fan there were times that I complained about play calling while Fulmer was coach. At times it seemed like we were out coached towards the end. I guess you can put that on poor recruiting near the end. But I was always a Fulmer guy. I think maybe he was fired to quickly. Or maybe they waited to long. Who knows. But one thing is for sure. There was a time that most schools would have been lucky to have him. But with the Tennessee program being what it was in the 90's I'm not so sure now if Fulmer was a great coach or just a good leader of great talent. Hope that makes sense. Maybe he was just lucky to be where he was at the time.

Reactions: 2 people
I do not recall any, but then again it was a different time with a different culture and mindset. If there were offers, and most schools would have jumped at the chance to have him, they would have kept the offer out of the media. Coach Fulmer always was and always will be known as a Tennessee guy.

Exactly. When Fulmer was a "hot" coach there wasn't an internet tracking every coaching rumor across the country. CPF wasn't going to throw his name around like Franklin did or take interviews as a negotiation tactic like Gundy. End of the day though, he wasn't going to leave TN for another college job. I'm not sure how much interest he really had in an NFL job.

No....but I can remember people offering to pay him to leave.

Reactions: 8 people
Exactly. When Fulmer was a "hot" coach there wasn't an internet tracking every coaching rumor across the country. CPF wasn't going to throw his name around like Franklin did or take interviews as a negotiation tactic like Gundy. End of the day though, he wasn't going to leave TN for another college job. I'm not sure how much interest he really had in an NFL job.

Or Butch Jones, or any other coach at a "mid-level" job.

UT was a very high level job, so there was no need by Fulmer. He only did it to get raises.

It has been reported that every penal farm with a football team tried to lure him away. They felt it would have been a natural fit with the lack of discipline and outlaw teams he brought in upon the community here.

According to the Fulmerites he can get a job anywhere. No doubt, Vandy is the next school to go to his house in an effort to convince him to become a 'Dore......or, maybe, they mean Home Depot is delivering to Fill's residence a door. How many doors has the poor ole feller had to buy with Southern Cal, Texas, Louisville, Penn State, Miami and all those other schools knocking down his front door. So, in the case of Vanderbilt, he is gonna need another front 'Dore.

Last edited:
Heard Jim Donnan speak about Fulmer. He said there has never been another coach who loved being the Head Coach of his alma mater more than Fulmer loved being the HC at Tennessee.

Reactions: 6 people
I remember numerous colleges coming after Fulmer but they all knew he was a Tennessee guy and wasn't leaving. Some pro teams came after him also but he always turned them down. Fulmer was a lot more loyal to Tennessee than Tennessee was to Fulmer

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
I remember numerous colleges coming after Fullmer but they all knew he was a Tennessee guy and wasn't leaving. Some pro teams came after him also but he always turned them down. Fullmer was a lot more loyal to Tennessee than Tennessee was to Fullmer

I would be interested in seeing some citations or even any basic evidence you have for this.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back